Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Alright, while DF2013 does sound and look cool and all...  (Read 5669 times)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, while DF2013 does sound and look cool and all...
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 04:10:47 pm »

wouldn't altering dwarf fortress be a form of purism,i always thought the game was made to be mod-able,so modding is part of vanilla df.

i plan on adding a few carnivorous plants the way Toady altered the hydras.such as a Siren tree,has a breath attack that sprays a perfume that has a makes the victim dizzy and sleepy,as well as a thorn attack that paralyzes its target.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »

Ah, combine the multiple body part attacks with the suggestion someone made of making blind (viewrange:0) creatures which wander aimlessly around until a dwarf or something steps on the same tile as them and then butchers them, and you could have a terrible tree that creeps around, ignored by your dwarves because they apparently ignore anything that doesn't aggro them, and a blind, if aggressive and dangerous, creature can't see them so it won't aggro them until they step into it's space. Immediately they will be gassed, envenomed, and torn to shreds. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »

I DEMAND my custom made jungle deathtrap! With animals raising men! And Vice Versa! And playable rodents! Actually, on a more serious notes, has anyone considered doing such a mod? I'm grinning at the very idea of the Rats of Nim in dwarf fortress.

As for what I'll do? Probably play my fort until i get one vaguely weaponisable artifact, choose my best dwarf as my adventurer (If that's possible) and go out into the wide wide world. I'll also play a succession game, modded if possible, in which players forts come into the world, bickering, arming, politicking, assassinating and in general as close to CK2 as the AI the players give their own devious slant to within their final orders can achieve. Of course, assailing the unassailable should be a much employed option.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:41 pm »

Science! Science must come first, obviously. Gonna have to update the wiki.

This. This! A thousand times this! There's gonna be a lot of subtle science work to be done with abandonments and reclaims adventure mode visits, and all that stuff that's happening out in the world now needs to be understood.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:27 am »

Fine. ‼SCIENCE‼ and passive-aggressive carnivorous tree-monsters. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »

@Eric
 never thought of dropping the view range,thanks for the addition.

@Novel
sounds like a fun succession  game,i wouldn't mind  playing it.maybe use AdvFort on dfhack to dig into fortresses (although the game doesn't seem to save the digging when you leave/sleep)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:59:27 pm by Isngrim »
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:58 am »

I just hope the fps doesn't suck ass anymore.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:03 am »

I have my doubts that this is going to come out in May, and, by extension, before the one-year mark. I'd hope for a date not that far after that, probably between Bloomsday and the Fourth of July.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:24 am »

I'm still hoping for a late May release, but June is probably more realistic.  Either way, we're close.  I wonder if Toady is going to add any new smaller features after the major release, like he did with minecarts for .34.x?  Or what long standing bugs he might fix?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 12:32:00 am »

I'm still hoping for a late May release, but June is probably more realistic.  Either way, we're close.  I wonder if Toady is going to add any new smaller features after the major release, like he did with minecarts for .34.x?  Or what long standing bugs he might fix?

Taverns and inns I'm 90% sure are going to be in later releases if they aren't in this 38.01 release (calling 38.01 still!)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 12:45:51 am »

Maybe.  To me it seems like they'd be relatively straightforward to add at this point, but then Toady probably has grand plans for recruitment changes as well as heroes passing through your fort.  So maybe a bit too much for a minor release.

I'm looking forward to whatever release has taverns in it though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:20 am »

Are dwarf-mode skills in adventure mode considered minor?
I want this so badly. (and with active NPC sites, it's becoming increasingly needed to add them.)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 03:22:26 pm »

Can you imagine to what devious ends people would put them?

I mean, think about hill dwarf sites, which are what, the size of a normal Dwarf Mode Embark. Now imagine your adventurer digging below them and causing a 4x4 embark tile-sized cavein.

Where previously we were but Ted Bundies of the fantasy world, killing random innocents here and there to satisfy our sadistic urges, now we shall be John Galts gone bad, creating magma-powered perpetual motion machines to rain down fiery death on the unholy elven collectives.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 06:45:24 pm »

Are dwarf-mode skills in adventure mode considered minor?
I want this so badly. (and with active NPC sites, it's becoming increasingly needed to add them.)

Probably more minor than what this update is adding :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]