Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191130 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.50
« Reply #690 on: August 27, 2013, 09:58:24 am »

"Floating discs indeed. How unusual. I see several possibilities - one, this is some kind of magical spell at work, in which case we are better off avoiding it. Two, this is some kind of trap and we are better off avoiding it. Three, this is a distraction and we are better off ignoring it and looking for its source. Four, these are living beings that we might be able to communicate with, in which case we would have to wait and see what they do from a safe distance. Five, these things indicate something we do not see and can only guess at the true nature of. All in all, we are probably best off not trying to touch or disturb them."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:52 am »

Lady Foxglove rubs her back, expecting some trouble finally.

"Well, they seem a bit high up for mere lanterns. And if anyone was sneaking up on us, they'd douse them if they could. Could be eyes, of some sort, or an odd magical anomaly...

If it is magic, it's not the good kind, agreed.
If it's a trap, it's a poor one-designed to ensnare curious children, I guess..
If they are living beings, and not inherently hostile, they are no doubt as afraid of a warband such as ours as we our of them.

I'd just as soon ignore them all and one, and ride around-only fools follow strange lights into the dark...and if it or they bothers us, it's not like we'll be taken unawares. I suggest we all take note of the lights, but don't allow them to mesmerize you. Such things are often indeed used in illusion spells."
She said, looking around her. It would be a decent distraction, though, she agreed.

"I have seen such things before, though in different circumstance." She comments, looking about. "I was traveling in Canadria on Winter Holiday-bitter, frozen country that it is-and my party happened upon a single, pale light in the forest-it was in the shape of a luminous woman. Some fool chased it, we ended up chasing him through the forest all night. Well...I doubt any of you have done much boating-or even own a boat, much less a four masted Barque named the L.F.S Beautiful-but, there are certain deep ocean fish-and monsters-that use lights in the dark of the sea, to trick prey into swimming into their mouths...thus, the rest of my tale is best left unsaid."

Action: Keep an eye out for dangers other than the obvious lights. Keep riding on, unless the party decides to investigate.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:12 am »

"Agreed, let us avoid this obstacle."

Ride around the discs if possible. They surely aren't anything worth impinging upon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 27, 2013, 10:07:01 am »

"I can agree to that."

Ride and ignore.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:16 am »

Avoid the discs whilst moving onwards.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 27, 2013, 10:58:42 am »

"They're pretty, though."

Mournfully stare at the disc for a little longer, then ignore and ride on.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.52
« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »

Turn Fifty Two

The strange column moves on in the darkness, ignoring the phantom lights away to their left.

"They're pretty, though. Oh... they're-"

As Medha's gaze lingers, the lights blink, flicker, and fade. She slows, and looks longingly, the crowd of Whiz's demented followers passing her like a tide, ...and then the spell is broken, and somehow, the gods know how, Medha is crashing to the ground, tumbling off her bonespider underneath Lady Foxglove.

”Get down!”

A dozen bolts whoosh through the air just above the spider; Medha lands, heavily but not hurt, cushioning Foxglove's own landing. The curse crafter looks angrily at the weight on top of her, and then recognition passes over her face.

"... thank you?"

Ahead, whirling fanatics die joyously, dropping like... dropping like defenceless and demented civilians pincushioned by bolts that feel like the loving touch of the worshipped mage who still towers above them on the shoulders of his serf. Still crouched over Medha, Lady Foxglove, a little surprised at her own reactions, or perhaps reaction, grabs one of the bolts out of the ground where it's fallen.

”Kobolds again? We're not that close?”

She looks ahead at the chaos of dying and chanting. The kobolds, if that's who they are so far deep into Nirila's territory, have chosen their spot well. The road is at a bend, more sharp than shallow, and the hedgerow here is a little thicker than it's been for several miles. It's hard to make out individuals, but every member of the party recognises the chittering talk of the little bastards hiding in the darkness at the road's edge.

A handful of drums still beat, and a handful of followers still wail and twirl in unending and inexhaustible ecstasy, but many more of them lay dead or dying a dozen or so feet in front of the adventurers.

...Miraculously the adventurers themselves are untouched.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.52
« Reply #697 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:41 pm »

Dive over the hedgerow on the inner side of the bend if there is one, otherwise just take cover in the ditch that should be there - crawl toward the bend.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »

Lady Foxgloves soft posterior bounced off of Medha with it's own sigh of indignation.

She shrugs, giving the curse crafter a weary eye.

She rose, speaking quickly.

"You know, the effective range of a crossbow in good conditions is barely 100 yards...er, 90 meters. Damn those Metricians for boggling up the measurement system...anyway, they're firing blind, I think...of course, so are we.

We'll be slaughtered if we attempt to attack head on into a defensive position, nor can we shoot well in this dark-more likely we'll shoot each other. I suggest a tactical ret..."

Lady Foxglove saw the Messenger leap to his probable doom in a tactical blunder that would have made General Narpolearm blush.

"....Sir Wizzard, I believe you've got some flaming bolts prepared, correct? I suggest you show these underlings the peril of camping in dry tinder...aim at the biggest brush you see-light up this field."

In fact, Lady Foxglove had noted it hadn't rained since they arrived, and the enemy obviously had used dry wood to make their campfires...

Action: Lady Foxglove follows Gervedder, looking for a shooting spot to hide in-waiting for the light to reveal targets.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:02:50 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 27, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »

"Sure."

Do as Foxglove says.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 27, 2013, 09:28:01 pm »

"Blimey!  Going invisible!"

Activate Wind Step, dismount, and find some cover closer in to the action.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2013, 04:45:17 am »

"HEY GUYS" Medha whispered, waving her crossbow around. A small part of her mind was still lingering on the two mounds of fat that had, briefly, lingered on a part of her that was very much devoid of any fat, but Medha was used to walking down multiple mental lanes at once and switching between them at a whim.

"GUYS, WHICH END DO I POINT AT MY OPPONENT"

Figure out how to use crossbow, follow the Lady, and aim.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:03 am »

"HEY GUYS" Medha whispered, waving her crossbow around. A small part of her mind was still lingering on the two mounds of fat that had, briefly, lingered on a part of her that was very much devoid of any fat, but Medha was used to walking down multiple mental lanes at once and switching between them at a whim.

"GUYS, WHICH END DO I POINT AT MY OPPONENT"

"The pointy end, dotard! And don't shoot me in the posterior!" She exclaimed, somehow assuming the way Medha has worded her mental commands may have given a mischievous God reason to enjoy causing further misfortune for them.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2013, 05:12:18 am »

"Don't worry, you're padded!"

That being said, make an effort to not deface such a work of art.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.53
« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:14 am »

Turn Fifty Three

Dive over the hedgerow on the inner side of the bend if there is one, otherwise just take cover in the ditch that should be there - crawl toward the bend.

"We'll be slaughtered if we attempt to attack head on into a defensive position, nor can we shoot well in this dark-more likely we'll shoot each other. I suggest a tactical ret..."

”What’s that?” whispers Gervedder, halfway through a sprint/salmonleap crossover move into cover.

He lands in a shallow ditch off the road and, taking advantage of the dual cover of this and the hedgerow, crawls up to almost opposite where the bolts seem to be coming from. Almost at the bend, he figures he’s about 25 feet away from the nearest enemy, and if he squints he can make out movement in the ditch under the opposite hedgerow. He looks around and realises he’s on his own.

Action: Lady Foxglove follows Gervedder, looking for a shooting spot to hide in-waiting for the light to reveal targets.

Quote from: Kobold Horde
Keep bloody firing!

"....Sir Wizzard, I believe you've got some flaming bolts prepared, correct? I suggest you show these underlings the peril of camping in dry tinder...aim at the biggest brush you see-light up this field."

"Sure. Hold on…"

Like some famous general of old, Lady Foxglove barks out her orders, readies herself to charge, and suddenly wonders just where the hell everyone’s gone. Gervedder went this way, no?

She looks very briefly around.

Crap. No, he didn’t.

”Um. Chaps?"

"WHAT?"

”Oh. Nothing. For a second then I thought- No. Nothing. Odd. Where’s Gervedder?"

"I DUNNO," says Medha, attempting a shouty whisper which is only just audible over the half dozen wailing drum-bangers ahead. "WHICH END DO I POINT AT MY OPPONENT?"

”The pointy end, dot- wait, are those-"

"THE PRETTY LIGHTS COMING UP BEHIND US? I THINK SO, YES. MMM, THEY’RE STILL PRETTY."

”We’re on the wrong side of the road, we need to get back across."

Another volley of bolts pours down the road, all but silencing the remaining drumming and wailing a little further up it.

”Or uh we could stay here, I guess."

"AND FIGHT? YAY! SO, ER, THIS IS THE POINTY END, RIGHT?"

A crossbow bolt flies off somewhere into the night.

"WHOOOO! TAKE THAT, HIDEOUS… Hideous… WHO ARE WE FIGHTING?"

Lady Foxglove closes her eyes and slowly breathes out. Having a bonespider must be very much like having a very very large quantity of brightly coloured sugar, she decides.

Activate Wind Step, dismount, and find some cover closer in to the action.

Quote from: Bukkar Crangrom
Follow Gervedder

"Blimey!" says a disembodied voice in the middle of the road a little later than perhaps it should have, "Going invisible!"

Fortunately for Tackov, Whiz’s demented followers take not just the brunt but the entirety of the volley of bolts: he escapes the kobolds’ volley unscathed and disappears, literally, into the hedgerow not far from Gervedder.

Not having to slowly crawl, he soon catches up with the messenger and takes cover not far from him. He thinks he can see small creatures underneath the hedgerow on the other side of the road.

Gervedder’s a little startled, then reassured by Tackov as he announces his presence.

Gervedder’s much more startled when he looks round and sees Bukkar crawling up behind him.

Crawling… All sensible-like…

Despite the miracle of a stealthy Bukkar, Gervedder realises his position is probably about to be compromised.

But it doesn’t look like it’s really going to matter.

Do as Foxglove says.

Delayed by the balancing act of searching extensively through his considerable pockets, and bags, and pouches, and his backpack, all whilst aloft on the shoulders of his carrying serf, Whiz is ready for action.

He raises his crossbow.

He aims.

He fires, and the finely crafted crossbow bolt shoots forward, bursting into flame and flying straight into the middle of where the wizard guesses the enemy is.

Within seconds a twenty five foot stretch of hedgerow is alight, the fire showing no signs of stopping anytime soon.

It advances down the hedgerow towards Lady Foxglove and Medha.

It sets fire to three quarters of the kobolds, who run screaming into the open road.

It burns three kobolds to a crisp, dropping blackened to the floor.

From his vantage point, and in the fierce firelight, Whiz can make out a lone non-burning kobold fleeing north across the field behind the hedgerow.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118