Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35

Author Topic: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC  (Read 61811 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Plot twist: Tim has been controlling the whole thing from behind the scenes and in the games climax we fight him.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Even more: My as-of-yet to act character Ziz set this all up.

Speaking of which, I'll probably post an act since there won't be an update anytime soon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Plot twist: Tim has been controlling the whole thing from behind the scenes and in the games climax we fight him.
No, Tim is the one who limited Zanze--wait, what am I saying?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

So, I've done research, considered what the GM said about our level of technology, and thought about what my faction's primary research went into, and in the end, figured out what I have, I believe.

My faction is the leader in a few fields, though lagging in others. Specifically, neuroscience, power generation and transfer, and programming/cybernetics. We're a bit behind in aeronautics, space stuff, and subatomic physics.

Our military is relatively small for our population and land mass, but highly trained and well equipped. This is not to say they are unbeatable, but they're tough. The basic infantry soldier, though most personnel specialize, is equipped with the GT-70 'Hauberk' Armored Environment Suit. Additionally, everyone in the military, and most people who can afford it outside the military, have neuro-cybernetic jacks. These go in the base of the skull, around where the spine meets the skull, and are integrated into the brain with self-configuring microbots(not nanobots, these are just a bit smaller than a cell, rather than molecule sized) that make sure nothing is being damaged, everything's connected right, can make new connections, fix minor brain trauma...these will link up to the suit and the soldier's weapon(s), allowing him to have better situational awareness, faster reaction times, and perform his task on the battlefield more effectively.

The Hauberk does not have a clear visor like some modern-day riot gear. Rather, it has numerous micro-cameras on the head, which can feed directly into the wearer's ocular processing area. This allows the head to be as well as or better armored than the rest of the body, while still allowing advanced visual abilities. The suit itself is stronger than conventional body armor, and able to withstand greater impacts without losing integrity due to the combination of rigid and non-rigid protective layers together with advanced composites and seals. The rear of the armor seems a bit too bulky for it's proportions, as it contains the flywheel battery that powers the Hauberk.

This being the basic infantry armor, it is not equipped with heavy duty power supplies, extreme long term operating equipment, or active camouflage. It is, however, often painted or otherwise covered with heat-signature ducking and camouflaging paint or materials. One of the main drawbacks of the Hauberk, however, is that it simply isn't stealthy, even with those.

Okay, I got a bit carried away with that. Point is, everyone in military usually wears a pressurized suit(or at least it's capable of pressurizing), quite good, expensive as all hell, but anyway. Weapons at the infantry level tend to be electro-thermal chemical, mainly because the increased recoil is more easily compensated by wearing a full body suit, and the electric current can be supplied by the suit, meaning only the fuel and projectiles need to be in the magazine. Civilian firearms are usually still solid propellant though.

Once you get to higher calibers, cannons and autocannons and such, ETC are very common, though for some of the weapons mounted on heavier vehicles, similar to tank destroyers(where there isn't a turret per se, but the gun has a limited arc of fire, meaning a larger gun can be fitted to the chassis, etc.) railguns are used. Railguns are very common for artillery pieces and naval ships, though gauss weaponry is being experimented with.

Advanced walkers and mechs make up a portion of the military, but by no means the majority; they cannot replace tanks, but are more useful in urban and rough terrain scenarios. Hovertanks(not as in anti-gravity, it's an aircushion like actual hover-vehicles) are rare, but they do have them for aquatic scenarios and hit and run tactics, as well as high-speed transport when air travel would be impractical.

Classic helicopters are not used. Instead, compound coaxial helicopters are used. Coaxial helicopters have two rotors on top which spin in opposing directions at the same speed, removing the need for a tail rotor, and offering better stability and hovering power. Compound helicopters have one or more horizontally facing rotors, which provide forward thrust and greater speed for a trade-off in stability. Compound coaxial helicopters try to combine this, for better stability and speed than a conventional helicopter. There are different designs used for different missions and purposes, of course, so I won't list them.

Planes are relatively poor. But this is at least partially made up for in the improved reaction times, controls, and ability to scan the surroundings due to cybernetics.

One thing to note; UNNE vehicles almost never have cockpits, windshields, etc. unless they're open-topped or meant for quick deployment/escape. This can be a bit unnerving, and yet gratifying to enemies; your enemy is more easily dehumanized/dedraconized when you can't see their face, but it's still fucking scary to know that that helicopter shouldn't be able to see you but it's turning in your direction and spinning up it's guns.

And done.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU GUYS CONSIDERED THIS

Seriously, this could turn into a legitimate game/story setting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Yeah, it makes me feel bad that I can't write as good as I'd like.  :'(

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me personally? A lot. At least for technology aspects. I have little else that intellectually stimulating, and even this is starting to get boring, so I may move on to how history would be altered, reasons for draconic uprising and human oppression(I think 30 years is a bit short, and the whole world at the same time is a bit ridiculous, but 50 years, and over a period of ten to do it in the first place? Makes more sense, allows the real heavy oppressed feeling to settle in if there's, say a maturing generation or so of dragons going through this and two of humans. Also have to set my mind to how miltary tactics and doctrine would have changed, considering air power would have been existent from day one. But what I do is as much research about current stuff(so I can consider how it's be different), as it is speculation and educated guesses.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile

Indeed. I mostly coming up with it as I go, but I'm considering taking the Syndicate route, with the Dart chip and all that.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

That thing really makes me wish I hadn't tried to shoehorn the airships into a semistealth role, but rather had continued with the other plan.
Equiping the thing with an Multidirectional High Power Microwave Emittor. Basically, a large, stationary version of the CHAMP missile Link

I didn't do it because it's too much of an I win button. After all, the ability to instantly destroy the electronics of each and every enemy that comes within range might be a bit OP.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dragons aren't electronic. Remove any defenses tailored for dragons and it's no longer a game breaker.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile

I believe ebbor was refering to the fact that I plan to eventually create the Dart chip from Syndicate, and how his EMP-thingy((I'll look more into it tomorrow. On a Kindle right now.)) would be rather effective against it.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Dragons aren't electronic. Remove any defenses tailored for dragons and it's no longer a game breaker.
No crippling overspecialization. Little sense in doing that. Especially because airships are naturally weak to dragons anyway. Besides, stuff's done already. (And also, a microwave generator is not unovercomeable. Just shield your electronics and you'll be fine.*)

Besides, It's a microwave cannon. It kills dragons, if you give enough power and the dragon is nice enough to sit in the stream for a few hours. (Depending, we might be able to well, cook it's brain fairly fast.)

*Any electronical system that needs to touch openair to function most likely can't be shielded.

I believe ebbor was refering to the fact that I plan to eventually create the Dart chip from Syndicate, and how his EMP-thingy((I'll look more into it tomorrow. On a Kindle right now.)) would be rather effective against it.

Not only that. The Emp thing would tear through Rolepgeek's entire army. (Mass drivers or any other weapon powered by electricity => down, Man machine interface => fried, Nanites => obliterated).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No crippling overspecialization. Little sense in doing that. Especially because airships are naturally weak to dragons anyway. Besides, stuff's done already. (And also, a microwave generator is not unovercomeable. Just shield your electronics and you'll be fine.*)
1. It's not crippling overspecialization, it's an Achille's heel. Albeit a somewhat common one (but is it weaksauce if it's naturally deadly?)

Besides, It's a microwave cannon. It kills dragons, if you give enough power and the dragon is nice enough to sit in the stream for a few hours. (Depending, we might be able to well, cook it's brain fairly fast.)
True. It's not completely defenseless against dragons, just made to combat nondraconic threats.

Not only that. The Emp thing would tear through Rolepgeek's entire army. (Mass drivers or any other weapon powered by electricity => down, Man machine interface => fried, Nanites => obliterated).
Indeed.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehehe...yeah...

Though, in anticipation of something like that, as well as the existence of explosive power generators, which create an EMP pulse when they function, most of our stuff is shielded. Certainly the jacks. Probably has a faraday cage or something permanently embedded in the actual jack, possibly the whole skull, with the cover that you put n when it's not in active use(don't want thing clogging up that, for sure) would complete it, as would any actual jacks. That's not to say my mass drivers, ETC weapons, and just about fuckin' everything I have since, it's all electrical, wouldn't be fucked.

Of course, the advantage of flywheel batteries and compensated pulse alternators(compulsators) is that as long as they keep spinning, the power supply will remain in place. And they'd probably be well shielded, as an interruption of the magnets holding them in the vaccuum would result in a very heavy spinning disk rotating at many thousands of RPMs coming towards you.

Finally, I thought of something me and the Ice Realms will have, and possible new Zealand and/or the tip of south America.

Ice Ships.

Not a ship encased in ice. No. More submarine than ship, you build the central part to be insulated and only barely buoyant. It will be very oddly shaped, seeming more like a space station than a ship. Then, you construct the refrigeration pipes into the shape of the ship you'll want to have. Turn them on, water freezes int ship's shape, Heat goes to central generator room, thermovoltaic cells turn it into electricity. Thus, I am refrigerating things, and gaining electricity from it. Movable refrigeration cables with pumps and a good water moving system allow parts of the ship to be rebuilt, or new things added if needed, like if you know which side the enemy is coming from and want thicker armor. The ice is buoyant, which helps, and functions as armor. Plus, since it's naturally buoyant, you can't really sink the ship. Since the core of the ship is so light(if relatively fragile), heated substances pumped through the pipes can thaw the ice, allowing the now far lighter vessel to be airlifted to new locations.

These would seem complex, if only because the piping will be quite complicated(by my standards, at least. Maybe it wouldn't actually be). The engines would seem far too powerful for it's size, due to the weight of the ice it would be supposed to lift. Ice and water dragons would help a lot with building these. They could be easily hidden in colder areas. The refrigeration means they will melt, at the least, far more slowly in warmer areas, and power generation would before efficient in warm areas. And, they will be really tough. 5 inches of steel is tough, true. But 20 feet of ice? More so.

Finally, to note, this would not be made of pure ice. This would be made of pykrete. In some areas, most especially the areas most likely to be subject to bombardment or attack, it would be mde of so-called super pykrete, which, rather than using wood fibers or sawdust, would use...actually I don't really know too well. It was made on myth busters using newspapers, but being miltary, we'd probably use something more militaristic. Point is, it's even tougher than pykrete. Cheap to make, still buoyant(wood and ice, both buoyant, though together a little less so), and tough. Blatantly stealing from GWG, this is what makes up a great deal of the carrier-fortress (new class of ship, basically small fortified mobile islands. Yeah.) H.D.M.S. Australia (we still have colonies there, so it's okay?).

Also concrete submarines, but with another thin layer of steel or something (rust resistant like submarines) to help with the part where saltwater is corrosive to concrete.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to note that your plan of using refrigeration and thermovolkaic cells to generate electricity won't work. To put it bluntly, Thermodynamics will put a stop to your operation. Plus, you can't generate energy from heat--you need a temperature gradient.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35