Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Valley full of cyclops  (Read 12585 times)

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valley full of cyclops
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 07:11:02 am »

This is the part where you save, load, unpause, and the guy collapses dead, isn't it?
Nope, I have exit and loaded a few times and the guy is still there. I'm beginning to think that the demon extract is holding the parts of his body. Also some immigrants have arrived so there is still hope if the immortal guy ends dying

EDIT: Forget that, half of them died by demons while coming to my fort, another had his face melted while sealing with walls a forever burning wood artifact and the rest of them went out to drink from the river and died too. This is going to take a long time
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:58:36 am by Skorp »
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »

This is quite entertaining.

Have you tried making a temporary fort outside of the main fort? It sounds like your immigrants might survive better on the surface for a little while.
If I remember correctly you can designate a meeting area, undesignate all other meeting areas, and the immigrants will go there, and upon reaching that meeting become part of your fort. So you could designate a meeting area on the surface away from the death. Then wait for a miner to make the bunker secure.

After all, we can't rely on your "vampire" to last forever.
(No idea why he is still alive. I don't deal with vampires often, and I haven't seen injuries so severe)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 02:47:43 pm »

In my old fortress 'Goodwhip' the last dwarf stood in the dining hall, on fire and bleeding from every part of his body after having been savaged by demons.

He lasted for several seasons before spontaneously dying. I don't know what triggered his death in the end, though.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:26 pm »

In my old fortress 'Goodwhip' the last dwarf stood in the dining hall, on fire and bleeding from every part of his body after having been savaged by demons.

He lasted for several seasons before spontaneously dying. I don't know what triggered his death in the end, though.

Urist McLegend cancels life: Bored

Seriously, those dwarves are ridiculous. I usually just give up on the bad cases, and cut my losses. Maybe I shouldn't.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 03:13:56 pm »

I think the same happened to my dwarf so I wont move him in case he randomly dies... not like I can because the passage to the room is filled with three tailed fire-breathing stegosaurus
This is quite entertaining.

Have you tried making a temporary fort outside of the main fort? It sounds like your immigrants might survive better on the surface for a little while.
If I remember correctly you can designate a meeting area, undesignate all other meeting areas, and the immigrants will go there, and upon reaching that meeting become part of your fort. So you could designate a meeting area on the surface away from the death. Then wait for a miner to make the bunker secure.

After all, we can't rely on your "vampire" to last forever.
(No idea why he is still alive. I don't deal with vampires often, and I haven't seen injuries so severe)
The problem are the demons flying outside the fort, descending to kill all lifeforms bellow them so my only chance is to hide inside a mountain... but my food and seeds stockpiles are filled with even more demons. Maybe I can raid a destroyed caravan for seeds, the run to my fort entrance and seal myself in
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:17:24 pm by Skorp »
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »

Seriously, those dwarves are ridiculous. I usually just give up on the bad cases, and cut my losses. Maybe I shouldn't.

I always wait for it to crumble for two reasons.

It seems more Dwarfly to wait for everyone to die than to give up because it's going poorly.

Also, if you abandon, the dwarves in your fort are likely to show up at your next fort in the same world as migrants. If any of them are insane or really upset or coated in poisonous slime, they'll just restart the trouble you had in the last fort again.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »

I always wait for it to crumble for two reasons.

It seems more Dwarfly to wait for everyone to die than to give up because it's going poorly.

Also, if you abandon, the dwarves in your fort are likely to show up at your next fort in the same world as migrants. If any of them are insane or really upset or coated in poisonous slime, they'll just restart the trouble you had in the last fort again.

I meant "SEAL THE WALLS WE SHALL NOT LOSE ANOTHER DWARF THIS DAY" kind of cutting losses. But yeah, I'm learning how to not leave a fort but rather keep going when things go bad. //ot, my bad
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »

Urist McCustomsAgent, Enforcement Officer:  Do you have anything to declare?

Dolem McImmigrant, Fish Cleaner:  Just a highly contagious festering slime that vaporizes at room temperature causing necrosis of soft tissues, hemmorageing, blisters, pain and dizziness that coats all of my wordly possessions.  I brought it from my old fort!

Urist McCustomsAgent, Enforcement Officer:  Carry on.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »

Urist McCustomsAgent, Enforcement Officer:  Do you have anything to declare?

Dolem McImmigrant, Fish Cleaner:  Just a highly contagious festering slime that vaporizes at room temperature causing necrosis of soft tissues, hemmorageing, blisters, pain and dizziness that coats all of my wordly possessions.  I brought it from my old fort!

Urist McCustomsAgent, Enforcement Officer:  Carry on.
In my fort is quite the opposite
Urist McImmigrant1: Hey, have you heard of this fortress, the Abysmal Post?
Urist McImmigrant2: No, is it good?
Urist McImmigrant1: I heard that there is an army of cyclops camping outside, that demons are ruling the fortress and killing anything that comes close, that everybody who came there died except one guy who is inmortal and terribly injured and there is no booze or food
Urist McImmigrant2:...
Urist McImmigrant1 & Urist McImmigrant2: Lets go!

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:25 pm »

I'm trying to find that adamantite vein.  Where exactly is it again?  Which cavern?

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

I'm trying to find that adamantite vein.  Where exactly is it again?  Which cavern?
Keep the digging straight down from the lower stairs, in the level -15 there is a cavern wich the adamantine vein. Are you going to do a "Valley full of cyclops, done right"?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 06:08:22 pm »

If you can get an immigrant miner to survive for a few minutes, you can tunnel down into one of the caverns and gather plants for food and to start a farm. May even have a lake to use for water until you can brew some booze. If you're really lucky, a few other migrants can sneak inside before you seal up the tunnel.

If you manage to get some married couples, your forces can gradually grow through natural reproduction until you finally have the strength to set horrible deathtraps for the demons.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2013, 06:53:05 am »

If you can get an immigrant miner to survive for a few minutes, you can tunnel down into one of the caverns and gather plants for food and to start a farm.

The good news is that if you can get a miner in a "second" fortress and seal the exit, he can work on a raising drawbridge airlock so the temp fort is more than secure.

Personally I'd avoid the caverns. You've had how many forgotten beasts so far? Really want to open another cavern and risk more? Most places have soil or clay layers that are more than 1 Z deep, so you should be able to get a farm going near the surface, if you can get some seeds. You might have to dig a tunnel to your old food / booze stockpile and make a few raids (with a door and bridge in place to seal the entrance up. Maybe just a door and then wall it up afterwards.)

Or if you're feeling cheap, autodump in dfhack. Maybe just autodump some food and booze for 1 greedy miner immigrant, and make everyone else raid the stockpile until they have seeds.

But I would probably build my temp fort in tiers of security. The tunnel to your old fortress and the main entrance are tier 1. If tier 1 is breached, they are stopped by the defenses at tier 2, etc. Just so that if a butterfly jams a door and  bridge doesn't go up in time, you haven't lost all.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2013, 07:48:25 am »

Keep the digging straight down from the lower stairs, in the level -15 there is a cavern wich the adamantine vein. Are you going to do a "Valley full of cyclops, done right"?

That is the plan actually.  For whatever reason, when I opened your save, my tileset got goofed up, so maybe I just need to refresh that via the Lazy New Pack, because I can't clearly see the adamantite graphic.   I've dug stairs down literally all the way down to the semi-molten rock but not found it yet.  I've seen bits of the cavern on -15, so I'll keep probing around there.

On the plus side of things, I did have a 28-dwarf migration get slaughtered by all of the cyclops.  :D

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2013, 11:46:27 am »

Demons can break bridges if they are on the inward side of the bridge.
Even if its raised?
Yes. However, building destroyers cannot destroy the bridge from the outward side (The one that is down when the bridge is lowered).

From my experience if the clowns can walk/fly up to a raised bridge from the outside they can still take it apart.  It took a month or 2 but they deffinately got past mine, but I had enough time to put a wall up behind it luckily.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9