Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Assassin-y theives  (Read 3439 times)

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assassin-y theives
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:58:41 am »

An interesting elaboration on the traditional kobold/goblin theives could be assassins. They sneak into your fort like normal theives, but with the intent of killing nobles? Or maybe particular soldiers who have high goblin-kill counts? I suppose the same could work with other civilizations if you're at war with them?

It would add an extra incentive to keeping nobles safe? I suppose there would also have to be more consequences for having nobles die (Maybe citizens, even if they don't know them, get sad if a noble dies, if they have somewhat positive personality traits?)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin-y theives
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »

It would add an extra incentive to keeping nobles safe?
While i like the idea of assassins, i can kill my own nobles just fine using overly elaborate death-traps.
But i think that once the political part of Dwarf Fort gets fleshed out, political assassination might come into play.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »

While i like the idea of assassins, i can kill my own nobles just fine using overly elaborate death-traps

What about legendary weaponsmiths or marksdwarves?

And there are other forms of sabotage besides assassination. Poisoning wells, lighting alcohol stockpiles on fire, maybe even lowering drawbridges if the AI is able to detect what is linked to what with enough depth for players to find it difficult to exploit.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 01:19:46 am »

So you're saying a surface fortress that doesn't dig down to the magma sea could use nobles as bait to lure in an ignition source for a fire trap?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:28 am »

Will the AI be able to climb in this release, by the way?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:44 am »

i don't like the idea of assassins killing my legendary dwarves, but i do like the idea of them offing a noble i don't like.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:00 am »

I think that assassins should be able to kill legendary dwarfs but there should have to be some reason for the assassin to know of the dwarfs existence.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:50:15 am »

I think that assassins should be able to kill legendary dwarfs but there should have to be some reason for the assassin to know of the dwarfs existence.
Perhaps a rival civ, jealous of your booming prepared meals export industry, attacks your legendary cook. That's the only thing I can think of. It would require rumors to spread via caravans and visitors, which I'm not sure Toady's implemented in the upcoming release...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:17 am »

Well, if the assassin was just told to take out important targets he could spend some time gathering info around the fort and then taking them out.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 11:27:19 am »

would it be plausible for goblins to sneak their brainwashed dwarfs into the fortress.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 11:41:25 am »

would it be plausible for goblins to sneak their brainwashed dwarfs into the fortress.

That... would be awesome. They look like normal migrants, until they pull the lever to open the front gates. Urist McTrojanhorse!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 10:33:49 pm »

That... would be awesome. They look like normal migrants, until they pull the lever to open the front gates. Urist McTrojanhorse!

So they're about as useful as genuine migrants that go fishing in the caverns and get the attention of something nasty.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:27:22 pm »

I definately like the idea of goblin and kobold assassins, but without a way to reliably train up Observer, you'd have no way to defend against them. I suppose you could use animals to detect stuff, but in my own experience I still fail to detect a lot of stuff with that method.

But anyway, with a good way to counter them, I would definately want assassins in (especially if they also show up from elven/human or other dwarven civs). And if it could also make its way into adventure mode... Fun ahead.  ;D

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:18 am »

I definately like the idea of goblin and kobold assassins, but without a way to reliably train up Observer, you'd have no way to defend against them. I suppose you could use animals to detect stuff, but in my own experience I still fail to detect a lot of stuff with that method.

Needs more observer density.  Multiple creatures per tile, so the sneak has to crawl through a big pile of critters unnoticed.  Maybe try to combine it with dwarven child care.  Wind up with new adults who already have a full on last name and title from counter-assassinations.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:50 am »

But anyway, with a good way to counter them, I would definately want assassins in (especially if they also show up from elven/human or other dwarven civs). And if it could also make its way into adventure mode... Fun ahead.  ;D

Locked doors, war animals, guards (or just other big concentrations of dwarves between sneaky invaders and their targets), walls.

The same things you can use to counter snatchers and thieves currently.
Pages: [1] 2