Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)  (Read 33330 times)

Remsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:59 pm »

Hi guys,

So today I was starting a new fortress after the last one got ruined by a failed magma breach.
I started out and thought about my design. I wanted something pretty. Hardest part was the damn bedroom. What gives a nice look, but is at the same time still a bit inefficient. Worst part is I've done one year of architecture, so building one can't be that hard, right?
Well I'm finally done with it and now I'm curious what you guys think of my bedroom design and what you've designed.

So at the left you have the noble quarters, three rooms for each noble. Also the modules are easily repeatable just as are the Plebian quarters at the right. At the right I was a bit thinkering how to fill in the gaps after I've constructed the hallways and after some fiddling this beautiful design came out. Still looks pretty efficient if you ask me, but then again I'm pretty new to DF. On a sidenote in all the big halls will come staircases, up and down.

ToxicFyre

• Bay Watcher
  • Existence is Futile.
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:25:16 pm by ToxicFyre »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:20 pm »

I usually use the following basic layouts.

"Der Kommisar"
Highly efficient, "concentration camp" style accomodations for ordinary dwarves.
Simple "tube room" design, modular arrangement.
*suggestive design motif is not intentional.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each room is 1x5, which gives room for a bed, a cabinet, a bag, and 2 whole squares of floorspace.
Hallways are 2 tiles wide.

For nobles, I build a "flailing arms apartments" layout.

4x, 5x5 rooms supply prissy lesser nobles with rooms barely big enough to make opulent as needed,
But also able to be simple enough to keep the more big headed from complaining about others's quarters being better.

Flailing arms apartment layout can be easily modified into a stacked apartment tower of 5x5 rooms, by putting up/down stairs at the ends of hallways, and putting lovely apartment windows in at the ends of the halls. Towers easily connected with skyways if desired.
(If you feel your miserable proletariat dwarves are somehow 'worth' it.)

Individual housing units are modular, and easily placed.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:24:37 pm by wierd »

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:07 pm »

Am I the only one who lazily digs out gold or other high value veins and makes dwarven gold apartments out of it????
I mean it still looks good and chaotic after smoothing and engraving it.:)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:12:19 am »

When I first started playing DF, I did a lot of theorycrafting and thinkering trying to design the most efficient, space-filling, and pretty bedroom and fortress designs.

Then eventually I realised that dwarves being dwarves, all that careful thought goes out the window the first time ten of them all decide to go try to collect the fingers of the poor berk who just got assaulted by the berserk, artifact failed moody dwarf.

Or by the unfortunate intersection of fortress and useful mineral vein.

Or by the nasty habit of water, magma, and other fluids (eew) where they get in your way no matter what.

Now I just try not to make it too asymmetrical, and I just use boring three-wide hallways with 1 x 4 rooms coming off of them. 4 squares = bed, chest, cabinet, door.

My nobles used to get three rooms, a 3x5, a 4x5, and a 5x5, for their bedroom, dining room, and office respectively.

Now I just make one 5x5 room that is attached to my main dining hall, and I make the room big enough that it includes the dining hall. That way when I get an artifact mechanism, or chair, or whatnot, I can put it in there to both satisfy the count's request for a stupidly expensive room, and to give the peons 'dined in a legendary dining room' and 'looked at an awesome piece of furniture lately' happy thoughts.

The best part is that I can do this for five or so different notables with one dining hall, and by manipulating the tiles I start defining their rooms from and exactly how many steps of embiggening I do to each room, I can make sure that no one has a room whose value is above their station.

Yeah, I'm lazy.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:09 am »

Oh, here's a picture of the bedroom floor of Kilrudzulban, 'Bronzebanners', my current long-term project.

It's been expanded to fully house all 200 or so dwarves I now have.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:15 am »

I tend toward being an efficiency freak.

Take the "der komissar" living quarters arrangement.

A slight modification to make the halls 3 tiles wide, let's you up up/down staircases in at the intersections. Vertical pathing only costs 1 between floors. This means you can stack 3 such blocks on top of each other, with a food stockpile on the top, and the dining hall on the bottom, and have "absurdly efficient" pathing between *all* dorm rooms, and those locations. Under 15 tiles in any direction!

That would also provide living space for 324 dwarves. FPS crushing numbers for most people.

Being essentially a cube, it lends itself well to being the central trunk of a fortress, with workshops on the wings.
Nobles being stuck in the flailing arms apartment tower above makes a nice architectural statement, and since nobles to a whole not of nothing, efficiency isn't important for them. (Putting them way up there also makes those trap avoiding human diplomats avoid the main fortress proper.)

I like modular designs, because I can mix and match as needed, OR overplan, and build a megametropolis, using the same architecture.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:22:30 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with those efficiency-focused designs.

I am just too lazy to care about them in my forts.

Also, I like my designs to be somewhat flawed because that lets the FUN in, for me at least.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:32:07 am »

I'm a big fan of apartment-complex type bedrooms. They're usually rows of 10 bedrooms on either side of a 3-wide hallway. There's also a 3-wide hallway between the blocks of bedrooms, so I end up with blocks of 41 x 13 for 20 bedrooms. Bedrooms are 3-wide and the walls are all engraved. Not pretty, but effective.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:14:39 am »

i cheat.
...all bedrooms are of the finest quality.  Royal.  I stuck the king into the quarry on a WHIM...which turned into a story about the king fainting when he saw the unnatural epicness and efficiency of the main bedroom. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Armv

• Bay Watcher
  • Factotum Savant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:16 am »

I generally just make a giant block of 2x2 or 3x3 (Latest iteration is 2x3 -- enough for a statue, bed, cabinet, coffer, table, and chair) rooms. That share walls with their neighbors. The corners are dug out, and doors placed there. So all rooms, save for the ones on the edges of the block, have four doors. It is very very space efficient, but... destroys any and all FPS.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 04:17:27 am »

My current fortress is built around a huge central pit, so I created a ring-shaped bedroom layout. Every room has a chest, cabinet, window to the outside (despite being 15+ layers underground), high-quality engravings, and a coffin for each resident, just to tell the dwarves, "you're going to die here."

A picture of one of the several levels:

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:39 am »

It's from my first first first fort. Which I totally messed up, but the bedrooms were fine.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:47 am »

This is the central dining room and bedroom complex of Delethurvad (Polishseals)

The only entrances to the bedrooms go through statue gardens, in an effort to force all my dwarves to get happy from glimpses of extraordinary works of metalcrafting.

All dwarves get a 3x3 room with 1 bed (duh) 2 iron cabinets of varying quality and 1 container of varying quality. All the bedroom have engraved walls, with the engravings usually of Superior quality and above, mostly exceptional and masterwork.

As a result, almost all the dwarves in my fortress are wild-drinking, ecstatic party animals, who make out almost constantly and pop out babies like there's no tomorrow.

On a side note, the nobles get a 5x5 room, with attached offices and dining rooms (if required)

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »

my brilliant design.. Can probably be improved on so much you can not belive it. ;)

King (Queen Vampire) here got a Adamantium bed (artifact), Gold furniture, because of tantrums some chests are temporary wooden, furniture here gets exchanged for artifact once it gets made.
Most Dwarves got Nethercap cabinet, for keeping clothes crisp and cool to put on, and a Bed (Currently Chestnut).
Baron (died) got the Nethercap room Next to queen.
The Obsidian furniture rooms are for "Nobles" that are selected, Broker, COG, etc.
Room(s) whit pots/food, Was a hastily converted "nobles" room sett to jail.

(Upper left is tree farm, since there was some soil there). ;)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkuabxoexwwo01t/Bedroom%20layout.png For bigger view.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7