Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage trap volume / ribs thickness and spacing  (Read 926 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Cage trap volume / ribs thickness and spacing
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:44 am »

Cage trap volume and ribs thickness and its spacing can make cages more realistic. If the cage volume is smaller then enemy's volume then it can't be trapped in the cage. The strength of the cage will depends on it's volume and thickness of cage ribs and its material. The cage can be crushed by the enemy if the ribs are to long and thin. But the enemy can escape from the cage if the ribs are to far away from each other (spacing). The ribs thickness can't be set higher if the distance between the ribs are to small. To make the cage stronger you need to use dense materials.
So:
Each enemy need to have some strength index (its power) to calculate cage damage: Can it break the cage or not.
The cage strength index will depends on its volume/rib thickness/material.
Enemy can escape if the spacing between ribs are to high.

Something like this.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage trap volume / ribs thickness and spacing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

That's great for realism, but hard to specify. Currently, I can batch make a bunch of cages, and fill a bunch of cage traps; you don't even specify the cage that goes in the trap. How would that work with different cages? The general idea of making cages less versatile is good, but the devil is in the details, and you haven't given many details.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »

Maybe use something similar to how pressure plates work (though by size rather than weight, obviously)?

Or just use the same sizes that clothing uses? Anything smaller would escape, anything bigger would be too big to be held by the cage.

One should probably also prevent some things from ever being captured. Dragons, giants and the like.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

Maybe use something similar to how pressure plates work (though by size rather than weight, obviously)?

Or just use the same sizes that clothing uses? Anything smaller would escape, anything bigger would be too big to be held by the cage.

One should probably also prevent some things from ever being captured. Dragons, giants and the like.
Trap Avoid tag?
I think rib-thickness might a bit too much in terms of the stuff you need to track.
I would argue for a somewhat simpler two tiered system based on creature size.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:List_of_creatures_by_adult_size
Cage: Can trap and hold animals < 1,200,001 (bridge limit). Can be made out of wood, metal or glass.
Enclosure (Large Cage): Can trap and hold animals >= 1,200,001. Can ONLY be made out of metal.
The two cage type have their own trap associated. Trap will only trigger it it can catch the stuff standing on it.

One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »

Trap Avoid can be beaten by spider webs and such though. I'm not sure I'd consider that to be a good thing.