Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I had my first Necromancer siege today.  (Read 1680 times)

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had my first Necromancer siege today.
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »

My fortress was going so well.

Pity I forgot about the outdoor refuse pile.
About a year in, the dead walk, my scratch militia took down the first wave, and the second wave, before the re-re-reanimated corpses started bringing down my axemen, which would rise up and fight there soon-to-die brethren.

I couldn't find the Necromancer in all the chaos, and my once exceptional fort was reduced to rubble.

Bravo Mr. Necromancer, bravo.

Any advice on how to survive these?

Many thanks,

AJG.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I had my first Necromancer siege today.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »

Atom smasher corridors work wonders, as necro sieges almost never contain anything big enough to break them. So does magma, but it's a bit trickier to handle. Regular trap corridors are probably a bad idea as cutting traps only multiply the problem and blunt traps won't make much of a dent in a truly determined horde.

Being able to emergency-seal your refuse stockpile also helps a lot. Knowing that a tower was within potential siege distance I walled mine in and added a drawbridge door. The moment I see 'the dead walk', the lever gets pulled and whatever unspeakable mess happens stays in there.

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:05:03 pm »

On a separate note, it was amazing fun to watch my lone survivor play the most epic game of british bulldog with 178 re-animated bits.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:08:14 pm »

My suggestion: extra large maze of spiked balls.
Pros:
-Kills undead without making more
-Kills every kind of undead
-A maze would reduce the vision of the necromancer
-Almost never jams

Cons:
-The necromancer probably won't survive (it's a con if you want him alive for training purposes)
-Doesn't get rid of the corpses (the only option are atom smashers and magma for that)

Also, the worst part of a necromacer siege is cleaning (imagine what would happen when a goblin siege, a kobold ambush and a necro collide)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »

When I'm forced to fight necromancer sieges head-to-head, I firts burrow all my civilians inside. Then I rally the militia near my entrance, where they easily bash the first waves to bits. Since necros run from the soldiers, I try to move my militia around, buying time for my civs to start a cleanup operation. In other cases, archer towers and cage trap corridors.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:22 pm »

Keep your refuse indoors. Ideally, drop it in magma.

Use crossbows to kill the zombies and necromancers, they can do it from safety, tend to create fewer severed zombie hands, and don't get that "attacked by the dead" thought.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:53:25 pm »

Keep your refuse indoors.

That causes miasma and bad thoughts in your refuse haulers and anybody who wanders nearby (and dorfs are dumb enough to wander into the dump and then complain about the smell). A minor issue, but it's why most forts tend to have their first refuse pile above ground.

Ideally, drop it in magma.

That kinda requires access to magma, which can range from tricky to !!Fun!! :P.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:02:15 pm »

Also, the worst part of a necromacer siege is cleaning (imagine what would happen when a goblin siege, a kobold ambush and a necro collide)

The only thing worse than that is when it happens on an undead biome  :D
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:24:23 pm »

I make this indoor refuse pile.  Miasma happens but do not leak out diagonally.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bonus, added atom smasher on z+0 level.
More Bonus, put a hatch in z+0 to drop down to z-1 to a more secured room.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:07 pm »

...managed to respond to the wrong thread somehow...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:11:08 pm by MattStriker »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 03:44:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's how I make my refuse stockpiles. Multiple doors to ensure miasma never escapes, warning traps along the route and a Giant Desert Scorpion out front to ward off any sneaky invaders that try to get through. Ignore the Necromancer in the center, it's in a cage. It is useful to be able to create an undead army out of the pull of a lever though. Underground, secure.

Stone traps are a wonderful bounty for any Fort to have. Just sayin'

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:56:01 pm »

You can do refuse piles a few ways. By far the best is to have a shit-chute into the magma sea or an atomsmasher (if they even still work). Though i'm still a long running advocate of weaponising mussel shells to fend off sieges in swarms of gribbly menace.

You can also have a garbage pit and a small refuse pile if you don't mind going back and forth to empty one. Bonus points if you can remotely open the zombie pit on sieges.

Or a series of airlocks...
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04:58 pm »

or an atomsmasher (if they even still work)

They work. Unless Toady updated... no, no he didn't. They certainly work for silently vanishing my dwarves' irritatingly unbutcherable pet yaks. (Which also works for preventing them from getting slaughtered by a necrolordmancer's horde, giving my dwarves a bad thought and then another bad thought when their dearest pet attacks them...)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:08:17 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.