Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Elements -- Age 4: Silent Swamps- WATER and WOOD victory!  (Read 18868 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Elements -- Age 3: The Burning Verdant Doldrums
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:55 pm »

First the newly created world, beautifully sculpted by the gods, was at peace. Rolling hills protected the natural wonders from harsh winds. Water and fire worked together in the endless depths to create new land. The wind’s gentle caress moved the water to and fro giving the gift of live and progress to the world. Mighty trees rose from the earth to give sustenance and shelter to the life that had evolved on this new world.

It was eons before the first change occurred.

Slowly but surely the great expanses of earth were torn apart by both beating wave and eroding river. Great storms rose and tore the highest mountain and filled the deepest valley with their remains. Slowly the production of new land halted as the flames and ocean no longer produced Earth as it had before. Something had changed, unknown to the creatures as they lived their lives unaware of the slow death of the large land masses. The only beings capable of witnessing this grave change were the trees who held together only small portions of land with which to maintain their own existence.

This was only the beginning of the cataclysm that gripped the planet.

The convection currents created by the fire and assisted by water soon began to die as well. At first this manifested itself as a monstrous hurricane that lasted centuries and that sought to prolong the currents of air on this world. Sadly it was not to be. As it fought to maintain its existence it extinguished many fires and succeeded only in spreading more water into the world. Remaining islands were swallowed by this demonic storm until finally the wind ceased. Waveless oceans now surrounded the remaining isles held together only by trees. In some rare areas there existed fires capable of great destruction which sat unwavering in this perishing world.

Soon however the trees multiplied and combined forming large unfathomable monstrosities whose roots reached across the globe and floated gently across the waveless oceans. These large trees were the home to the remaining fire of the world. However as the water nourished the trees their weight grew and carried the fires downward. It was a slow process but over many generations and many millennia the fires slowly were drowned with the combination of water and wood. Now the world was only a shell of its former self with only great trees and water to watch over the dead planet.

All forms of life had extinguished other than the great archtrees. The only movement in this empty globe was grey mists that surrounded these trees. Water droplets clinging to their every leaf as surely as the trees themselves clung to the ocean.

It was a world of order. Calm and peaceful. Creatures lived and died in the oceans with only some reaching enough sentience to crawl onto the arch-trees to live lives as parasites to the great wooden behemoths.

And over it all stood an overlord. An absent, ancient being who was, since the beginning, not quite there.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2013, 04:41:15 pm »

Meh... Not my best work but I liked it anyways...

@Ford It's fine. I understand completely.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »

Did you write that all just now?

Color me impressed. This is as good an ending to the game as any. (And I don't feel so bad anymore)

Also, you had the right of it in the voting scenarios you outlined. There was just no reason for either of you to do anything but kill me off. (Seriously, I was the only thing in the way of a mutual victory).

NQT: Is it alright if I post the PMs we exchanged?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:57 pm »

The game's over, right?

Well, that sucks. I'm really sorry about not sending that in; we should have won.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »

Did you write that all just now?

Color me impressed. This is as good an ending to the game as any. (And I don't feel so bad anymore)

Also, you had the right of it in the voting scenarios you outlined. There was just no reason for either of you to do anything but kill me off. (Seriously, I was the only thing in the way of a mutual victory).

NQT: Is it alright if I post the PMs we exchanged?

Not until Tiruin posts. She's the real winner here. Without her there would have been no victory. I can only hope me and her can have more alliances in the future.

@Tiruin You were a pleasure to work with and I know that we owe it all to you.

@Ford You were a worthy adversary and without that little slip-up it would have been a much longer game with every possibility of you winning. Also it took me about 18 minutes and I'm glad you liked it.

@Sheep You were a convincing Fire and I hope to see you around the forum a little more. Without the slip up you probably WOULD have won.

@Gankster Play a BM and then try harder.

@NQT This was an interesting game. If there's an Elements 2 I would like to see it. Maybe another element or two? Perhaps order and chaos or some such?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »

I submitted a proposal to NQT for a sequel over a week ago. That's part of what I'm asking him about posting. :)

I have another, completely different idea for a closed setup elements-based game, but it's really more of a mafia-style game.

Also yeah, more elements could work. But there's other possibilities, too...
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »

Furthermore I'd change wood to "Life" or something.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:29 pm »

Umm...wow, I'm kind of surprised that NQT hasn't responded to me yet. He's online ... so I wonder what he's doing.

I'm spending my time tinkering with the game setup until he responds.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »

H's probably busy being NotQuiteThere.

Damn... How many times will I be able to use that joke?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Elements -- Age 4/ The End: Silent Swamps
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:57 pm »

Nerjin's descriptive post is canon.

After some wranglings, Fire, now revealed, is snuffed out. Captain Ford was Fire!

Thus, Nerjin and Tiruin, Wood and Water, win! The game is over with an alliance win.

Here are the role PMs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My favourite aspect of the game was reading everyone's scheming. Ford was simply brilliant and it's a shame his machinations didn't work out in the end. If/when I run another Elements again, I'll try to do a better job about reminding people to reactivate their abilities if they intend to use them each round. As this was a very experimental set up, what did people think? I liked the quick and cunning nature of the game, but lying needs to be better incentivised and less power should go to the last person to vote. Also, it probably would have turned out different if I hadn't let Gankster play (lesson learned there).

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

*reading the water-air chat* Wow, I really did have you fooled, didn't I?

And I thought you had me pegged when you dropped your votes on Sheep ... ha!

Ah well, it was good fun. The game definitely needs a reworking, though.

Also, big props to Sheep for pulling off the deception so well.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elements -- Age 1: The Birth of a World
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2013, 07:30:23 pm »

Oh wait...nevermind, I'm off by a day.

Still, I found this funny:
AHA CAPTAIN FORD I KNEW IT

Oh wow. Gankster even thought I was TWS. I'm amazed.

NQT: Sure, I'll post it up. Although it's pretty much going to look like another OP.

It needs playtesting badly, and I made a few changes to abilities since you looked at it. Otherwise, it's pretty much unchanged.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:36:21 pm by Captain Ford »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »

Ford, your's and Sheep's deception was really brassy, definitely the highlight of the game.

You should post your version of the game as we were discussing it.

My thoughts have led in a different direction. So, a potential seven person set up might look like this:

Or you could have five players, with seven or nine possible elements, opening up greater scope for false claiming.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »

Dust should be Chaos.

Metal should be Order.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:37 pm »

Another idea: What if you limit it to say, six or eight elements that are directly opposed*, and give each player two elements?

* Fire opposes Water, Earth opposes Air, Light opposes Darkness, Spiral opposes Anti-Spiral, etc.

Also thank you for the compliment. It's really nice to hear that. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:40:41 pm by Captain Ford »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13