Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Elements -- Age 4: Silent Swamps- WATER and WOOD victory!  (Read 18877 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Elements -- Age 4: Silent Swamps- WATER and WOOD victory!
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

ELEMENTS

In the maelstrom of chaos at the beginning of all things, the five great elements played their games of fate to see who would shape the world to come.

Elements is a mafialike* game for five players. Each player plays an element secretly assigned to them: fire, air, water, earth and wood. Each element is naturally allied with two other elements and is enemy with two other elements. A player wins when both their enemies are dead and they are still alive.

The allegiances are as you'd expect:

Fire is allied with Air and Earth, enemy to Water and Wood.
Air is allied with Fire and Water, enemy to Earth and Wood.
Water is allied with Air and Wood, enemy to Fire and Earth.
Wood is allied with Water and Earth, enemy to Air and Fire.
Earth is allied with Wood and Fire, enemy to Water and Air.

Each day each player must choose to Attack one other player and also Protect one other player (not themselves). These actions are performed publicly. The day ends when ALL the players have assigned both an attacking and a protecting vote. Play proceeds in this manner until someone has won.

Each element has a special power (listed below) which alters what their votes will do when totaled. Each element is able to speak individually to each of their two allies privately through a quicktopic set up by the mod. In total there are five quicktopics. Players are encouraged to make secret alliances with their allies.

When a player dies, their element and true vote record is revealed.

IN
  • Nerjin
  • Tiruin
  • TheWetSheep
  • Captain Ford
  • Gankster78

Spoiler: Elemental Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Additional Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:48:50 pm by notquitethere »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Elements Sign Ups 0/5
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:17 am »

In because why not...
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:42:52 am »

Did you have help in making this?

In, anyway. So different...

But how will you manage the quicktopic things?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:47:25 am »

I discussed the set up in the set up discussion thread, but the game is my own invention. I've set up five quicktopics already and I'll mail the links when I assign elements. (E.g. the player with Water will get access to the water-air topic and the water-wood topic).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elements Sign Ups 2/5
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:56:46 am »

Just wondering, you cannot shift your in-thread protect/attack, right?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:07:47 am »

Okay, time to game the system. The goal of this exercise is to see how many players can win at once. Let's start.

The game ends when a player wins. A player wins when their two chosen enemies are dead. Therefore, every player wins if every player is dead at the same time.

First, kill Water. His naturally ability to double protect is useless. This means Air and Wood cannot die until the end or else someone wins, which is good since neither of their powers are defensive.

Second, kill Earth. His useless Attack only makes killing everyone at the end harder. This leaves two offensive abilities at the end, which you need.

This leaves Fire, Air, and Wood alive.

Fire attacks Air twice, using his ability. Air attacks Wood and removes his defend. Wood attacks Fire and Defends Air. This kills every player.

Game over. Everyone wins.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:33:56 am »

Tiruin- you can shift votes, I'll amend the OP.

Wuba- that's cute but a player loses if they die.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

Tiruin- you can shift votes, I'll amend the OP.

Wuba- that's cute but a player loses if they die.
That wasn't in the rules. You have to make that clear. Like, this is elementary stuff, kid.

But, if that's the case, then... it's a small game of Diplomacy.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »

Actually, this does seem pretty much like a Mafia game - only with the fact that the QT threads may be a bit more....active than the main thread. People's questions would also go unconventional, and there is no one scumteam. Just 5 whole 1 man teams of allies and enemies. Diplomacy comes in where players should trust sides more than the others and persuade said sides to talk.

Because there's specific quicktopics and all. There's the option of telling your friends. And the lack of the option of wholesome guessing. >.>

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 03:04:06 pm »

Actually, this does seem pretty much like a Mafia game - only with the fact that the QT threads may be a bit more....active than the main thread. People's questions would also go unconventional, and there is no one scumteam. Just 5 whole 1 man teams of allies and enemies. Diplomacy comes in where players should trust sides more than the others and persuade said sides to talk.

Because there's specific quicktopics and all. There's the option of telling your friends. And the lack of the option of wholesome guessing. >.>
I'm not sure where you are getting that it's not Diplomacy. Feel free to thought experiment it, especially if someone is already dead.

Like, an example:

Earth is dead.

What do you do if you're Fire?
What do you do if you're Air?
What do you do if you're Water?
What do you do if you're Heart Wood?

If you're Fire, you align yourself with Air to wipe out Water. Now, why would Air want to kill Water, right? I mean, Water's her ally!

Except she's not. Water has already killed one of her enemies, just as Air has, but now she needs Fire dead. Air can't go after Earth on her own, so she needs leverage. Which, of course, is Fire, who would win with the removal of Water. So, Air and Fire have to team up.

The same goes for Wood and Water. They need to kill Air and then kill Fire, so they both win.

Sure, Air would love to go straight for Wood, but no one would support her, since they'd lose. Therefore, she has to make a break with either Water or Fire. But she just killed Earth, the only link she had with Water, which effectively kills their team. Fire, on the other hand, wants Water and Wood dead, and since Water's dead weight, she figures she can give him that for Wood's death.

Not Diplomacy... Psh.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:11:14 pm »

Air can't go after Earth on her own, so she needs leverage.
Earth is dead.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »

Human is dead.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:55:05 pm »

Air can't go after Earth on her own, so she needs leverage.
Earth is dead.
Wood. Whatever.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »

So are you in, Wuba?

webadict

• Bay Watcher