Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9957 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »

Again, the problem is that all of those non-suggestion games won't be easily found with all of these suggestion games popping up everyday. I don't want to make a forum game, only to have to bump it multiple times throughout a short-time span because multiple short-lived and poorly made suggestion games clutter up the forum.
This is a very well-reasoned and understandable concern, save one aspect.
It's not true.
Most suggestion games on the first page aren't two-minute hack jobs, they're long-running, well-thought-out games, often with rules as complex or more so than many non-suggestion games.
Yes, there's lots of suggestion games...but that's a definition which is pretty flexible. Pretty much any one-character game is a suggestion game; there's no other universal features.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »

Ahem, I'm going to have to dispute you there.

Generally, suggestion games are...

1. Focused on one or more characters, depending on the suggestion game in question.
2. Character actions are supplied by the player base.
3. Players can drop in and out as they wish. There is no sign-ups.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »

Ahem, I'm going to have to dispute you there.

Generally, suggestion games are...

1. Focused on one or more characters, depending on the suggestion game in question.
2. Character actions are supplied by the player base.
3. Players can drop in and out as they wish. There is no sign-ups.
1. So is any other game. Characters are needed or else it really isn't a story.
2. Once again, a player base usually does supply actions.
3. True. But you can argue that signing up is as easy as being a regular poster and dropping out is stopping posting.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2013, 07:47:43 pm »

1. Well, by characters I mean player characters.
2. Not a base. Usually it is only a set number of players.
3. By sign-ups, I mean you don't have to be approved by the GM for posting. Anyone can post in a suggestion game.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:44 pm »

1. Well, by characters I mean player characters.
2. Not a base. Usually it is only a set number of players.
3. By sign-ups, I mean you don't have to be approved by the GM for posting. Anyone can post in a suggestion game.
1. Once again, all games usually have one or more player-controlled characters.
2. Second verse same as the first.
3. A gm approves it by listening to said posts and using what the person suggested, if they so choose. Take a look at YAK. It's basically a suggestion game, at it's heart, and grew out of You Are Lord(the first one) and yet you can't look at the mechanics and figure that out.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »

All forum games, and in fact all works of fiction, focus on one or a few characters; all games add "playable" and/or "controllable".

The other two are, indeed, bits of suggestion games, but not quite unique to them. They are also side effects of the one-character format.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:44 pm »

I like to think of good suggestion games as collaborative writing projects. The GM writes a good story, and the players provide input to steer the course of the story. I think that's really the heart of a suggestion game: the game is essentially a story by the GM that they're asking for your input on.
Or at least a good suggestion game. You can tell you made a good one when you start drawing maps of your fantasy land during your spare time.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »

I don't agree with this.

Suggestion games thrive on the influx of enormous amounts of readers and discussion. Similar to an out-of-character thread for an RPG, I feel that diverting suggestion games to a separate sub-forum would draw part of that readership away (as many of the FG&RP players I've seen on here have never stepped foot into either of the other subforums). The very concept of suggestion game is vague, anyway. I've seen games that incorporate both reader suggestions and direct input from players to their player characters.

+1

Suggestion games need large numbers and not be tucked away in a sub-forum, like a 6-person roll-to-dodge that most people don't read. Instead, I move all games with limited player slots be given their own forum.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2013, 06:43:19 pm »

Okay, we've run into an impasse. I think no matter what, our arguments are going to be basically identical for both sides, i.e "RPs/Suggestion Games NEED a large audience!". Might as well just get Toady and ask him his opinion on the split.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

Nothing is going to come of it really, there's not enough people who legitimately care. Only a few people arguing for each side, so obviously nothing is going to happen unless a lot of people want a change.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2013, 07:10:15 pm »

[me]shrugs[/me]

Personally, I've gotten tired of this argument and by the fact no-one's posted on the pro-segregation side, that probably means a few other people have. Or they were all coincidentally AFK. Whichever, I'm going to probably space out of this argument.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:23 pm »

I think the majority of prosegs like me posted earlier on.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »

I know, they just aren't arguing now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:54 pm »

Which indicates that the issue isn't important enough to them to continue arguing.
Sig

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2013, 08:03:13 pm »

It really isn't an important issue, though. "Important" is bad suggestion games are being creating so quickly that the forum is 504'ing and we have to invent a new metric to determine how many are posted per day. "Important" is not having to look a few extra pages to find good RPs relevant to your interests like I do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11