Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9982 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2013, 06:50:18 pm »

Thing is, most people looking for a suggestion game, or any cool topic to post in, don't often look past the first page. I do so specifically because if I don't find anything besides SGs, I expect more nothing and SGs on the other pages.

Well, now you know that there is things besides SGs on the other pages, right?

((Also I like your avvy.))

Edit: Maybe we should just make a thread that says; "There's things other than Suggestion Games on other pages" instead of making a new subforum.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:52:11 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »

Yeah, but Slayer's not exactly everyone, is he?

Besides, people have short attention spans. They may know, but they might not care.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »

Thing is, most people looking for a suggestion game, or any cool topic to post in, don't often look past the first page. I do so specifically because if I don't find anything besides SGs, I expect more nothing and SGs on the other pages.

Well, now you know that there is things besides SGs on the other pages, right?

((Also I like your avvy.))
Let me add something on to and edit what I said.

Quote from: Slayerhero90
Thing is, most people looking for a forum (accidentally said the word on my mind rather than the one I needed) game, or any cool topic to post in, don't often look past the first page. I do so specifically because if I don't find anything besides SGs, I expect more nothing and SGs on the other pages. There's also the fact that if a person's already playing a forum game, there is less likelihood that they'll be trying hard to find another game.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:50 pm »

Edit: Maybe we should just make a thread that says; "There's things other than Suggestion Games on other pages" instead of making a new subforum. Then we could delete it when all the cluttering suggestion games or what have you burn out, instead of a subforum which would take way more work than a single sticky.
Added something.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »

That doesn't work because they would be replaced by similar cluttering suggestion games in no time as the guys who made them think "Oh, I have another idea for a suggestion game!".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2013, 07:01:23 pm »

What if we had an unofficial splinter forum where we could be all elitist and just ban anyone who didn't put enough work into their forum games?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2013, 07:03:48 pm »

It's fine not to put effort into your forum games. I've had my fair share of zero-thoguht suggestion games. It's just that they're kinda clogging up the board.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2013, 07:04:27 pm »

Alright looking back at the pages there has been one suggestion game created today. If we assume that most suggestion games don't last longer than a week, and this rate of creation is typical of the forum, then that is 7 threads for new suggestion games. And not all of those will be bad games.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2013, 07:04:52 pm »

So you're wanting some people to work more so you can be more lazier? If you don't click on the little helpful numbers at the bottom of the page or change your settings to view more topics at once, then why would you click on a subforum? And what about the actual good Suggestion games that aren't clutter? They'll get less and less posts or get under-appreciated.

What if we had an unofficial splinter forum where we could be all elitist and just ban anyone who didn't put enough work into their forum games?
Better idea! We execute all dissenters and posters of suggestion games! Vive Le Revolution! I'll fetch the guillotine if you go and get the sexy black masks.

Oh wait...we'd kill everyone cause I'm pretty sure alot of you guys posted a stupid suggestion game atleast once.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »

Alright looking back at the pages there has been one suggestion game created today. If we assume that most suggestion games don't last longer than a week, and this rate of creation is typical of the forum, then that is 7 threads for new suggestion games. And not all of those will be bad games.
You're assuming that the rate of creation is going to stay stable. Unless you examined the production of threads for a month, it wouldn't be the big picture.

So you're wanting some people to work more so you can be more lazier? If you don't click on the little helpful numbers at the bottom of the page or change your settings to view more topics at once, then why would you click on a subforum? And what about the actual good Suggestion games that aren't clutter? They'll get less and less posts or get under-appreciated.

I'd click on a subforum if I wanted to look at what is in it. If I want to see RTDs, I'll go onto the subforum for that. If I want to see mafia, I'll go onto that subforum. I don't see them dying. People who want suggestion games can go to their own subforum. I don't get why everyone thinks we'll get reduced posts, the other subforums are doing perfectly alright for themselves. Besides, good or not, suggestion games are still cluttering up the forum. Clutter doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's blocking something.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2013, 07:13:26 pm »

I'd click on a subforum if I wanted to look at what is in it. If I want to see RTDs, I'll go onto the subforum for that. If I want to see mafia, I'll go onto that subforum. I don't see them dying. People who want suggestion games can go to their own subforum. I don't get why everyone thinks we'll get reduced posts, the other subforums are doing perfectly alright for themselves. Besides, good or not, suggestion games are still cluttering up the forum. Clutter doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's blocking something.
Yeah, but you're not exactly everyone, are you?

Besides, people have short attention spans. They may know, but they might not care.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »

You're misquoting me. You said that because Slayer knows that he can check the other posts, then it's okay. However, I replied that just because one person knows something, doesn't mean everyone knows it.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »

You're misquoting me. You said that because Slayer knows that he can check the other posts, then it's okay. However, I replied that just because one person knows something, doesn't mean everyone knows it.
Oh, well sorry.  :(

But it still shows a point. I don't click on any of the sub-forums, because I am lazy and don't tend to play those games, but I do click on the page numbers and such, because I'm interested in games that aren't Mafia or RTD. So I can sorta see both sides of the argument, but it still raises a valid point that because you click on those sub-categories doesn't mean others would, even if they would enjoy those games.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2013, 07:25:36 pm »

The problem is that we can't really tell how much work someone is putting into a suggestion game necessarily, so you can't really make that judgement.

Example: For my forum game, far more work goes into all the crap going on around the main character then what the players actually see, so you would be hard pressed to tell how much work i've done on it unless i show you my pages and pages of background exposition and plot rolls.

A lot of suggestion games seem really free form and are really far more indepth than they seem. Or they evolve with the GM and playerbase, like the warrens of osric the awesome, which turned into a very complex sort of evolving organism as far as suggestion games go. What i mean to say is that i don't want the community to get all judgemental about what counts as a good and well thought out suggestion game.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »

Look, that's not really the thing here. We'd have the same exact problem if every each and one of those suggestion games clogging up the forum were each excellent and unique.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11