Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9973 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:11 pm »

Again, there's not much to think out. It's a simple problem, with a simple solution. We're not the kind of community that has to worry about most kinds of board splits.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 10:41:53 pm »

I'm just saying let's not act hastily. Whatever we do is bound to upset some forumites. We should consider each option, weighing pros and cons, and then decide what action to take based on whatever action course helps the most players. Then we gotta convince Toady. If we just throw a "hey do this" it's less likely to work than a "We were all talking about it, considered A, B, C, and D. We found that B would be extremely helpful because a, b, c, and d. So if you would could you assist us with B."

This assumes we need him to intervene.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »

We have weighed pros and cons. The Nursery system is a compromise but it's too overly complicated. The tag system is a complete compromise which would allow easy identificiation, but the problem is that it doesn't really solve the main problem at hand.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »

Yes but the issue was just recently raised and, apparently, we still haven't reached a solid conclusion.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »

Well, let's wait for the opposition to come out with their arguments against it, then.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:39 pm »

I like suggestion games and run a few shitty ones myself, and I can't see why the segregation would cause any problems.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 11:27:24 pm »

I think the only thing you'll have Toady go for is moving suggestion games to their own subforum.
I don't think he's going to let anyone moderate the current forum, so any other suggestion that involves complicated thread moving/voting schemes is going to be practicable, so it's probably not worth discussing further.

Maybe some extremely long lived games in any genre can be moved to yet another subforum to keep fresh games on the first page.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 11:34:19 pm »

Eh, I'd rather not run into the problem of too many subforums, I think long lived games should stay where they are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 06:29:46 pm »

The Cyberwarfare thing is a Suggestion RPG hybrid, and from what I've seen it's best defined as an RPG.
And it's not alone. I've got a couple of (languishing) suggestion games which use RPG mechanics; if there were multiple characters, they'd undeniably be RPGs.

Personally, I don't see the problem. Are there a lot of suggestion games? Yes. Are most suggestion games worthless, cheap ones? Yes. Are most of the active ones--ie those in the first few pages--the worthless ones? Not from what I've seen.
I just don't see the problem.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »

I agree. There doesn't really seem to be much of a problem. If bad suggestion games were obscuring the other games, there would have to be a lot more of them being created, because they only survive for a few pages.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »

Again, the problem is that all of those non-suggestion games won't be easily found with all of these suggestion games popping up everyday. I don't want to make a forum game, only to have to bump it multiple times throughout a short-time span because multiple short-lived and poorly made suggestion games clutter up the forum.

The Cyberwarfare thing is a Suggestion RPG hybrid, and from what I've seen it's best defined as an RPG.
And it's not alone. I've got a couple of (languishing) suggestion games which use RPG mechanics; if there were multiple characters, they'd undeniably be RPGs.
Then you make the decision on which forum it'd be on. A suggestion game with stats is not a full blown RPG, it's a suggestion game with RPG elements. If you think your game fits more on FG:RP, then make it there instead. I'm not sure why I have to repeat myself this much.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:20 pm »

I have an idea, yo'. People could just click on those helpful little page numbers at the bottom and look for the games they like and post in them. It seems lazy to want to have Toady to fix something that isn't broken.

If the suggestion game sucks? Don't post in it. It will die eventually. If it's cool or has a good title or a bunch of post? Look over it and read it and post. Not that hard of a fix.

I really don't see what the problem is, besides people's inherent and apparent laziness.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:14 pm »

How many suggestion games are made in a day? Because as far as I've seen there aren't many.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 06:43:19 pm »

Again, the problem is that all of those non-suggestion games won't be easily found with all of these suggestion games popping up everyday. I don't want to make a forum game, only to have to bump it multiple times throughout a short-time span because multiple short-lived and poorly made suggestion games clutter up the forum.

Why do you have to bump your game up, exactly? I mean, I understand not liking suggestion games and not liking the clutter. However, I've never had any issues with getting players to sign up for an RPG or anything. If it's not getting any signups that's probably because there's not enough interest, not because people are too lazy to look past the first page.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:05 pm »

I have an idea, yo'. People could just click on those helpful little page numbers at the bottom and look for the games they like and post in them. It seems lazy to want to have Toady to fix something that isn't broken.
Thing is, most people looking for a suggestion game, or any cool topic to post in, don't often look past the first page. I do so specifically because if I don't find anything besides SGs, I expect more nothing and SGs on the other pages.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11