Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9961 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »

ANYWAY: I suggest a sort of "Screening" thread similar to a thread in the Mafia subforum. What this would entail is the following:

1) Suggested game is posted onto this new thread.
2) Forumites express interest or flaws in the setup.
3) If enough interest is given then they are given blessing to post the game.

This is even more drastic than the subforum split. In fact, it's kind of hilarious. What, so someone signs up to the forum, makes You Are My Bitch, and a bunch of posters link them to the screening thread? "Sorry, you need to have your game approved by the Dark Council of Forum Game Master to post it?" There are all kinds of problems with this.

Like I said it's not perfect. It wouldn't be super enforced just a suggestion thing. Could you possibly explain some of the problems.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:14 pm »

ANYWAY: I suggest a sort of "Screening" thread similar to a thread in the Mafia subforum. What this would entail is the following:

1) Suggested game is posted onto this new thread.
2) Forumites express interest or flaws in the setup.
3) If enough interest is given then they are given blessing to post the game.

This is even more drastic than the subforum split. In fact, it's kind of hilarious. What, so someone signs up to the forum, makes You Are My Bitch, and a bunch of posters link them to the screening thread? "Sorry, you need to have your game approved by the Dark Council of Forum Game Master to post it?" There are all kinds of problems with this.

Like I said it's not perfect. It wouldn't be super enforced just a suggestion thing. Could you possibly explain some of the problems.

The primary one is that I highly doubt people who are going to create fifteen individual variations of You are a Pillow - a new one each day - are going to want to take the time to screen their starting post of ten to fifteen words and then wait for who knows how long for someone to give it a seal of approval.

Plus, at that point, what is there to screen? What are people supposed to say? "I think you need more detail on the type of fabric the pillow uses?" There aren't any problems in the design to screen because there is only ten to fifteen words of design in the first place. I mean, if the whole point of a screening thread is to reduce clutter, you have a thread where people either say "yes, this looks of sufficient quality" or "no, I think you need to put more effort to it before it gets My Approval®." Is a bored, low attention span suggestion game author going to go through that for every new idea that pops in their head?

The whole concept is kind of silly. Alternate line of thought.

The MSPA forums have something similar, but it's not screening, it's advice (not unlike Roller's Block or Gaming Block). If it's not an enforced thing, it really is basically Roller's Block or Gaming Block, and Gaming Block got starved out pretty easily.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 06:54:00 pm »

I vote separate the suggestion games into a different sub category, like RTD. Makes perfect sense.

Also, there is nothing inherently wrong with shortlived games as long as it entertains people. The problem is these boards have become too freaking huge in general.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:50 pm »

The primary one is that I highly doubt people who are going to create fifteen individual variations of You are a Pillow - a new one each day - are going to want to take the time to screen their starting post of ten to fifteen words and then wait for who knows how long for someone to give it a seal of approval.

This is true. My thought was that if we set up a system that provides the basis for actually screening things they may be more inclined to wait a bit and think it out. Sure some won't. Then again some will. Furthermore I would assume the original post would include something along the lines of "If no one's said anything in a [amount of time] than it's probably safe to just go ahead and post."

Plus, at that point, what is there to screen? What are people supposed to say? "I think you need more detail on the type of fabric the pillow uses?" There aren't any problems in the design to screen because there is only ten to fifteen words of design in the first place. I mean, if the whole point of a screening thread is to reduce clutter, you have a thread where people either say "yes, this looks of sufficient quality" or "no, I think you need to put more effort to it before it gets My Approval®." Is a bored, low attention span suggestion game author going to go through that for every new idea that pops in their head?

It'd be more like: "Do you really think you could keep that premise running for a long period of time?" and also people saying "Yeah that sounds interesting enough that a lot of people would play."

With regards to clutter: You have me there. There will be a lot of "Yay/Nay" kinds of post BUT it'd be in a single thread as opposed to choking out the actual games.

Also the attention span thing cannot be stopped I'd think. I'll concede to that point.

The whole concept is kind of silly. Alternate line of thought.

The MSPA forums have something similar, but it's not screening, it's advice (not unlike Roller's Block or Gaming Block). If it's not an enforced thing, it really is basically Roller's Block or Gaming Block, and Gaming Block got starved out pretty easily.

... My thread was supposed to have advice added to the "Yay/Nay"-ing. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Still you do bring up some good points though I don't see how it's more extreme than a forum split which, once done, cannot be undone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:11:10 pm by Nerjin »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »

Honestly, they should just get their own sub-forum. A majority of suggestion games are very short-lived, but people are constantly making them which means that a bunch of non-suggestion game threads get pushed down due to all of these very short lasting threads being made.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:35 pm »

RTDs generally seem to be quite popular in their own subforum, but then again they tend to stick with their own number of players, suggestion games relying on a constant influx of players. See, I like suggestion games and I wouldn't like them to die out. How about we do what MSPA do and have a sort of a "new games" section where moving is locked until you hit [NUMBER OF POSTS], preventing clogging of the main board?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:37 pm »

RTDs generally seem to be quite popular in their own subforum, but then again they tend to stick with their own number of players, suggestion games relying on a constant influx of players. See, I like suggestion games and I wouldn't like them to die out. How about we do what MSPA do and have a sort of a "new games" section where moving is locked until you hit [NUMBER OF POSTS], preventing clogging of the main board?
I don't see Toady creating anything more advanced than a different subforum, honestly.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24:12 pm »

Again this assumes that people wouldn't look into suggestion games unless they're on the main thread. Even if we move them people who want to do suggestion games will still do it.

MOVING them doesn't kill them it just makes them easier to find.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 08:16:23 pm »

Again this assumes that people wouldn't look into suggestion games unless they're on the main thread. Even if we move them people who want to do suggestion games will still do it.

You took the entirely wrong end of the stick there, I'm afraid. This only works if people do look into suggestion games when they aren't on the main topic. This merely prevents inactive "You are a..."s clogging up the main thread when they die.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »

You took the entirely wrong end of the stick there, I'm afraid. This only works if people do look into suggestion games when they aren't on the main topic. This merely prevents inactive "You are a..."s clogging up the main thread when they die.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing. If I understand you though you're saying have the games somewhere and then move them somewhere else when they hit a certain number of posts. Am I correct?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:14 pm »

What about the hybrids Bay 12 dreams up? How do you define which threads are suggestion games?

What about You are a RtD: The RPG?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »

I'm not even sure what you're arguing. If I understand you though you're saying have the games somewhere and then move them somewhere else when they hit a certain number of posts. Am I correct?

What I mean is, once a game has proven itself that it's not going to die within the first couple of pages like must "you are a..." suggestion games, then it can permited to be posted on the main board, moving it from a small subsection.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:36 pm »

What about the hybrids Bay 12 dreams up? How do you define which threads are suggestion games?

What about You are a RtD: The RPG?

Pick whichever one fits best.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »

So we should move them to a sub-forum until they prove they won't die... And for them not to die people have to go to the sub-forum... Seems like we're just adding a redundant layer. if people go to the SF to post into them to make sure they don't die... Why move them? That just makes it confusing.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:12 pm »

Moving them means they are now part of the "official" suggestion games that have proven themselves not able to die. This prevents them from clogging up the thread while making it so that people can choose whether or not to go with a forum game just starting out or if they want to catch up with an old one. Do you want to read through a long-lasting suggestion game, or do you want to infulence the start of a new one?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11