Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random embark skill points/items  (Read 682 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Random embark skill points/items
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:16:45 am »

Want to suggest this option.
I know, we can do it ourself. We can embark with any items we want or embark without items at all, but it would be cool to embark with randomly generated staff and try to survive.
The skill points/items can be generated randomly.
You can chose options for skill points or items individually -
For example it can be numerous quantity, like: I can assign 20 skill points which will be randomly distributed between dwarfs and assign 32 points to items which will be randomly generated into some staff at embark. Or it can be random at all.
Something like this.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Random embark skill points/items
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:48 am »

Isn't this roughly what Play Now! does? Or are you proposing something more between that and Prepare Carefully?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »

Isn't this roughly what Play Now! does? Or are you proposing something more between that and Prepare Carefully?
Yes, it's not Play Now!. It's more random thing. It's like you are embarking with absolutely random items & skills. You can only set its quantity.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:04 pm »

A good idea, but embark skill points need to have a greater impact on gameplay before it would be meaningful to RNG them.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:28 pm »

Perhaps less "random" and more "pick 7 existing dwarves from the nearest settlements that have personality aspects that would encourage them to leave"

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »

i think a better suggestion is that embark skill/points vary depending on surroundings/near-by hostile civs and towers.

A terrifying glacier with 5 towers and a civ that is at war with the nearby goblin population should get 2.5k points, a island or good forest embark with only nearby (initially) friendly elves should get 100 embark points for a couple starting tools and thats it.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:12:45 pm »

A terrifying glacier with 5 towers and a civ that is at war with the nearby goblin population should get 2.5k points, a island or good forest embark with only nearby (initially) friendly elves should get 100 embark points for a couple starting tools and thats it.

I would have though a civ at war would have less resources to spend. Unless the specific embark scenario was that they're building a fortress as a defense for the mountainhome. and why should  a safe embark always be a hundred points, I can understand refugess having so little, but a wealthy mountainhome setting up a new colony should be be able to find more funds than that.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:11 am »

It seems that in assigning skill points it is a choice between what would make sense from the civilizations perspective vs what would make sense from a gameplay perspective. i am in favor of the former