Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hot am I?

- 14 (43.8%)
- 18 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Are zombies cannibals?  (Read 5287 times)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are zombies cannibals?
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:37:35 am »

On one hand they're just mutated humans who consume other humans.
On the other hand, since they show such animalistic and non-humane behavior, do we still count them as humans?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Are zombies cannibals?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:03:50 am »

Hmm. I think it depends just how different from humans these zombies are. For example, if they're Left4Dead kinda things I'd say no, but if they were Walking Dead kinda things I'd veer toward yes.

On another note, is this life advice? You thinking about becoming a zombie and the moral implications thereof?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:48 am »

Depends, are zombies a different species to what they are eating?
I'm pretty sure that the two things that make zombies what they are is the cannibalism and the contagion, everything else depends on the mythos. So yea...

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:14 am »

On another note, is this life advice? You thinking about becoming a zombie and the moral implications thereof?
"Life Advice - have a question for your friends here?"
Besides, there's already technology and all sorts of other topics related questions on this thread.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:39 am »

I would say no, because the original zombie was simply gnawing and gnoming on people to get to their brain, not with the intent of enjoying the deliciously scented rotting flesh in the way...  I've always thought of cannibalism as sitting around a barbecue roasting your postman because he was a few minutes late once, and you wandered what Human tasted like.  But it's a ruddy good question.       

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:23:00 pm »

Nope. Zombies aren't human.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08:27 pm »

Nope, not cannibals. If we said that zombies are cannibals, we would be blurring the line between zombies and the living cannibals, and I'd rather enjoy my long pork without any disturbing thoughts.

Not that I'm, uh, a practicing cannibal right now, but, you know. Zombies, being a ridiculously overpopulated apex predator that they are, would probably eat all the forest animals within a year, canned food won't last you very long, and growing your own food at a sustainable rate is hard enough without hordes of corpses walking around. Sooner or later, the survivors would have to eat each other.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:21:17 pm by HmH »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:02:55 pm »

On one hand they're just mutated humans who consume other humans.

Technically we're just mutated fish.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »

I'm working on becoming a zombie myself, and you can, too.  While the metamorphosis is not yet complete, at this point I feel confident in saying that we are not necessarily cannibals, but an individual zombie who chooses to be a cannibal will be a tenacious and effective cannibal indeed.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:07 pm »

I would say no, if we are going by viral zombies then zombies arn't even close to related to humans, as they are actually part of a viral infection.
If we are talking dark magic zombies then it's still not cannibalism because the zombies are merely the fingers and toes of incarnate evil or sorcery.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »

If zombies consuming people was cannibalism then they wouldn't be zombies. If it was reversible, then maybe.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:17:17 am »

If the zombies eat zombies, cannibalism!

If the zombies are just infected humans instead of actual controlled undead (like in 28 days later), then yes - cannibals, because a human with a disease is still human.

If they are normal "raised by some unknown force" undead, though, or controlled by a parasite that takes DIRECT control instead of just influencing their decision making (Left4Dead, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Dawn of the Dead) then the answer would be no - because they aren't really humans anymore.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »

Edited poll

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:52 pm »

This really seems like something that would be better off in General Discussion, since we tend to use that for the crazy discussions where-as life advice tends to be for more serious help questions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:02 am »

I would say no, if we are going by viral zombies then zombies arn't even close to related to humans, as they are actually part of a viral infection. .
By that rule of thumb I guess that flu sufferers arent people either...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: [1] 2 3