Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Path to Knighthood - Turn 0: Calm Before the Storm (Accepting Waitlisters)  (Read 7719 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game is Path to Knighthood, where you the players take part as five squires under the tutelage of your master Sir Yalmer, of course you are not like any old squire. In the universe of Path to Knighthood (A universe based in the medieval ages but heavily influenced by norse, and greek mythology along with various other legends or myths of the time period if I come upon them as well as my own mixture of fantasy elements) squires are less like serving boys and more like true warriors, no tenuous jobs are hoisted onto you. In their place you are more likely to be ordered to lead a charge or carry out some vital task that will further the war effort.

You are not like normal people, from your in-doctrine into the role of squire you have spent many days under the watchful eyes of priests as they gave prayers to their gods asking for blessings upon this future Knight. You are stronger, faster, and tougher than any normal soldier and bear other gifts from the gods who have given you a greater blessing then the others of the Pantheon. You are machines of war in training, trained for the sole purpose of defending the people and bringing down the cruel as the Orders put it, though each of them have their own view of what is and isn't evil.

You five are squires recently taken under the wing of the great Knight, Sir Yalmer, vassal to Granmer King of the Seven Isles. And now you march to war as tensions between the Kingdom of the Seven Isles, and the Black Empire have finally snapped as the Black Empire begun an unwarranted invasion of the Seventh Isle, Kingsram. To you five this is what you've been waiting for all your lives, a chance to become a Knight and earn all the wealth and power a person of your lowly birth would usually never achieve. In the days to come you will fight numerous battles, perhaps changing the tide of the war, but above all else you may yet prove you are ready for the responsibility of Knighthood!

-------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Knight Orders (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Divine Blessings (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

----------------------------------------------

Player List
- Alexis de Valle, Squire of the Order of the Blade, Errol
- Andros Longarc, Squire of the Farseers, Shootandrun
- Alistair Undiske, Squire of the Sun Bearers, Rolepgeek
- Skaros Rukk, Squire of the Harbingers, Cheesecake
- Lilianna Stone, Squire of the Order of the Blade, Kashyyk

Waiting List
- scapheap
- Gamerlord
- sjm9876
- Sorcerer Kail
- kj1225
- Mlamlah
-
-
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:19:53 pm by adwarf »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path to Knighthood - Accepting Players
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:23 pm »

Player Sheet

Spoiler: Alexis de Valle, Errol (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:23:01 pm by adwarf »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »

Name: Alistair Undiske

Bio: Alistair had always been a strange child. He never cried for longer than needed; once he got someone's attention, he seemed content to let them figure out what he needed, as an infant. Born to a family of nobles, they were disturbed by his lack of anger or sadness as he grew; unlike other children around the age of three, he never threw a tantrum. When he did something bad, spankings and cuffingd didn't seem to bother him. But what got him sent to the knight school was when he nearly killed another child for taking his toy away, at the age of five. It had been his favorite toy, and the other kid had dropped it, and it had broken. So Alistair began beating the shit out of him, to show the other children that he would ot tolerate that. Horrified at this behavior, his parents sent him to the Sun-Bearers, hoping they might teach him compassion and to protect, not destroy...
And they have. To an extent. He still feels little emotion, and is grimly fatalistic, but he's not pessimistic or depressed; it's simply how things are. His vows and teachings though, have helped him control his logical response to things, as it was once untamed and unaffected by emotion. Now it is curbed by discipline and training. But is it enough for him to be a knight? We shall see...

Knight Order: Sun-Bearers
Divine Blessing: Gift of the Remorseless; Blessed, or cursed some might say, to feel emotions as if deadened, and to never feel some at all. Truly fearless(as in, he literally cannot feel fear), has little guilt or caring, kindness is not uncommon but is more from his vows than his heart. Basically, mostly emotionless. This also helps with pain, to a small degree, but it's not that he can't feel it...he just doesn't care.
God: Miser
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:16:58 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

Rolep you gotta choose which shield you want from the Sun Bearers, and whether you want Shield Combat or Shield Defense. Extremely sorry if that wasn't clear :)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:40:50 pm »

Tower Shield and Shield Defense.

Nothing will touch me. Which is why I don't need Undying. But anyway, is my blessing acceptable?

EDIT: It was clear that I had to choose, just thought it'd be awkward to put in the post, and was planning to do so in the bio.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »

Yeah your Blessing is good, pretty good choice if your going for the Best Tank role :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »

I like being a tank.

Besides, if I get good, I'll just trample them.
*I just stay behind my shield, shoving into them, forcing them to the ground*
"Stop and fight me like a man!"
"No."
"You coward!"
"Whatever."
"Stop it! Stop!"
*Continue*
*Jumping up and down on unbreakable heavy shield, on top of guy in armor, slowly being crushed*

Horrible way to die, that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:14:59 am »

Name: Baelwyn

Bio: Baelwyn has long been trained to become an apostle of war, but has often been held back for his vicious and overly aggressive nature. He's picked fights with other trainees and squires and he's shown more than willing to go just a little bit too far when seeking justice, either for a slight or a crime. Baelwyn revels in the glory of combat perhaps overmuch, and it's proven his downfall on occasion. He's eager to prove himself, and has attempted to learn to control his nature, not so much out of a desire too, but to appease his superiors.
Baelwyn enjoys earthly pursuits like drinking, dancing and singing in his spare time, and his rough common nature is just another thing that chafes his superiors and fellows.

Knight Order:Apostle of war (Warhammer)
Divine Blessing: (Unique Aura): Divine Strength, may call upon his blessing to invoke great physical strength, enough to perform a single mighty deed. (If this is not acceptable i will instead take the blessing of the undying.)
God: Zantos, god of war.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:22:04 pm by Mlamlah »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:28 am »

Name: Clair Shield

Bio: Clair was a stillborn, was. About three hours after born dead, she started breathing. After this miracle, strange things happened around baby Clair like she never cried when hungry since somebody(or something) had already gotten her food and the doors and windows would open and shut randomly. Also a white horse and it's rider holding an large axe could be seen from time to time standing guard over her, but would disappear before someone got a second look.

When she started talking, she would sometimes talk to empty air before turning to a nurse and telling them so and so said something. The person mentioned would of died years ago and Clair couldn't of met them. She also had a imagery friend called Zack who rides a white horse.

At the age of 6 Clair was given to the Farseers as they saw her bond to the god of death and her devotion to the god of life as a perfect member of their order.

On her naming day, she was called Ying-yang and claimed a shortbow as her weapon.

Knight Order: Farseers(Blessed Yew shortbow and Spirit Bonded)
Divine Blessing: Hawkeye
God: Lilian
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:28:24 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:03 am »

Name: Skaros Rukk

Bio: The Rukk family had always been considered strange, their members living in the wilds or the forests. The wives and daughters of the Rukk's were more inclined to heal, while the many sons were as strong as the beasts they hunted.

Skaros differed from most of the men in the family; his father and brothers died while hunting, leaving him to train as a healer with his mother. By the time he became a squire, Skaros had become a healer, as well as possessing the warrior-genes of his forefathers.

Knight Order: Harbingers (with the Bracer of the Yew Tree.)
Divine Blessing: Spirit Bond (Oh, okay. I'll start with Spirit Bond.)
God: Fenris
 Some minor questions: Is the drakeling sort of a dragon? How long does it take to mature? Will I be able to gain the Beastly Visage Blessing later on?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:43:11 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:09 am »

Name: Lilianna Stone

Bio: As the illegitimate daughter of some minor lord, Lilianna was no more special than any other lowborn. Whilst her mother had told her which one it had been, she'd never met him, only seen like the rest. However, she suspected he knew of her, as he always seemed to pass through her village more often than any of the others, and when her mother had informed her that she would be taking up the mantle as a squire, she knew her mother did not have enough money to pay for it.

Knight Order: Order of the Blade (God Blessed Steel Greatsword)
Divine Blessing: Gift of Precognition - Whilst minor, this gift allows those bestowed with it to perceive threats to themselves and their sworn wards. It does not perceive far future events, but those of the very, very near future, giving one attuned to it reflexes greater than the most battle-hardened veteran.
God: Zantos
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:33:48 am by Kashyyk »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:47 am »

Reserving, sheet to come.

EDIT:

Name: Allger

Bio: Allger was abandoned on the doorstep of a monastery when he was just a baby, his unknown parents leaving him to the care of the monks. (WIP)

Knight Order: Apostles Of War (Blessed Firesteel War-hammer)
Divine Blessing: Mark of the Magi
God: Zantos
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:24:59 am by Gamerlord »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:23:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:36:35 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:25 am »

I feel unsatisfied with my backstory so I'll ask few questions. How we were chosen for squire-hood? Fate decided, applying, otherwise? At which age?
Also can I learn magic later, by achieving Samus favor? How magic does work? Also could you provide small description at process of becoming squire?

Name: Aleandro Blackstone

Bio: Aleandro life was decided with being firstborn. His strict father required him to grow up quicker than other childs and harshly punished for failing to achieve his excessive demands. Yet he managed to keep up(but often barely) with them, even with early training with weapons he received from retired mercenary. People puzzled about what was the reason to prepares his firstborn to life of mercenary. But plan of his parent was different. Father's dreams of Knighthood were crushed by reality but giving up was never the thing he would do. For that he sent son to fulfill his dream. Aleandro was allowed to decide upon order he would join, and for his love with bow Farseers were chosen.

Being obedient and prepared for his harsh treatment allowed him to get away with being gifted to order later than most child's are, and excel in fighting. As his focus has moved into meditations he found a great interest at Samus ways yet he had not managed to appease god. Still he isn't discouraged by that. Last stage of his training proceeded slowly even though he showed a great devotion in it. Actually it was great devotion and excessive usage of divine blessing that leaded to many strains under which he could not train. Also Aleandro has been disliked by most of squires and fought often, mostly receiving injuries as a reward. Last year he managed to improve those relations but he could enjoy that as Sir Yalmer decided to wing him.

Knight Order: Farseer(Blessed Yew Shortbow, Skilled Archer, Curse Weaver)
Divine Blessing: Unnatural Speed
God: The God of Magic
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:36:51 am by Sorcerer Kail »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:16:54 am »

Is the ability too overpowered? Maybe to balance it I would only be able to do it with the animal's consent, which would need, say, a high speech roll? If it is too OP, I'll change it into Nature Bond.
Sorry your Blessing seems just a tad overpowered, that and its fairly advanced for a mere minor blessing :P

I feel unsatisfied with my backstory so I'll ask few questions. How we were chosen for squire-hood? Fate decided, applying, otherwise? At which age?
Also can I learn magic later, by achieving Samus favor? How magic does work? Also could you provide small description at process of becoming squire?

1) Most squires are either born into the Orders of Knighthood or given into their care when they displayed some unique bond, or power connected to the gods. Those born are the sons or daughters of Knights, and those gifted to the Orders are simply chosen by the Gods to join the Knights.

2) Yes magic can be learned later, you simply have to appease Samus enough that he grants you that power.

3) Magic is the process of a mortal reaching out and touching the energy of the world itself, those born with the ability to use it or who gain the ability can harness this power to do great things even without the divine blessings of Gods. The way magic used is that the Magi (common name for magic user) learns the particular words of power that let him weave a spell from the world's energy, of course this can be avoided by artifacts linked and enchanted to cast certain spells.

4) The process of becoming a squire (I'll assume you mean after they are gifted or born into the Order) is rather complex, all squires are admitted at the age of four to six who are not born into the Order. After that they spend several years going through intense training, learning the art of swordsmanship, studying the works of great scholars, worshiping the gods, etc. Around the age of ten those squires in training are shifted away from that and instead begin to spend their days in long bouts of meditation or induced states of sleep as Priests of every god prayed to the Pantheon for endowment upon the squire-in-training.

After a year or two of such prayer the squires-in-training become full squires, after this they spend their years studying and training until a full Knight sees them fit to be taught.

Any who I'll wait for a few more applicants before deciding upon who is accepted as the first wave of players :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6