Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 200342 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game)
« Reply #570 on: April 26, 2013, 05:42:58 pm »

That's from my brain. It doesn't hurt so much anymore, and it wanted me to thank you.

(Also, I simultaneously decided to start coloring my IC stuff in lime so it was easier to see)
Why did your brain hurt?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:08 pm »

Confusion, which you cleared up a lot of. (Have you read the crazy theories we were throwing around?)

Oh, in case it needs to be clarified, I mean my RL brain.

Although, in all honesty, I think there's still issues with some of the things you've said, but there's no point arguing about them until we have evidence to work with or a decision to make.

Especially not since you managed to do what I couldn't and actually motivate people to break the friggin' tie.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 26, 2013, 06:00:08 pm »

I didn't read any of the theories. I thought it was really friggin' obvious, given that Meph clearly stated smoke was coming off of some candles, but not Ottofar's or Dariush's.

Like I said, I don't know why y'all play a puzzle game when you can't solve puzzles.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »

You had the benefit of coming in and seeing all the data presented at once, though. We proposed most of our theories with very little information, and were so enmeshed in them that we didn't have the perspective to see what was staring us in the face.

Also, it's possible the scum were intentionally leading us astray. I've been poking around and Tiruin does seem like she's the source of many of the theories that led us astray. Of course, so am I.

...it also just seemed too straightforward. I mean, we basically had it figured out in the first day. Tiruin and Remuthra are the two who have been most resistant to the simple explanation for how the candles work. I think Remuthra is just clueless in general, but I can't tell if Tiruin was intentionally leading us astray or not.

Dariush probably did the best job of advocating for the simple theory you did. Even he couldn't cut through the BS the way you did, though.

("simple theory" = "white=life;green=power;teal=advice", as opposed to "everybody's candles might work differently, we don't really know")

Also, one snuffing seemed like an underpowered scum team. The town can change two candles, and can revive people, and the scum can only change one? It seemed perfectly believable for the scum to have two candle changes a night, in balance with the "lynch", like in a normal game, which is why we didn't examine the smoke more closely until now.

I'm thanking you mostly because instead of coming in and saying, "hey guys, I think it might be this way", you went in and said, "wtf. You bitches are crazy. Dis is how it is, yo!"
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »

Also, I hugged you mostly to see what kind of reaction it would provoke.

I'm in a good mood because the weather is nice out and I went for a walk for the first time this year. (winter has really overstayed its welcome) When I'm in a good mood, I tend to be playful like that.

And causing social awkwardness is funny.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 26, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »

Eh. Whatever. I'm trying to get things done. Thank me if you must, but keep paying attention to small details.

Also, I hugged you mostly to see what kind of reaction it would provoke.

I'm in a good mood because the weather is nice out and I went for a walk for the first time this year. (winter has really overstayed its welcome) When I'm in a good mood, I tend to be playful like that.

And causing social awkwardness is funny.
You live in the Midwest too, then?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:53 pm »

Also, I wanted to point something out.

Once we concluded (incorrectly) that snuffing white candles does not knock you out, it looked (at least to me) like the idea was to slowly shift our lit candles over to teal and green, activating powers as we lost our whites, under the assumption that scum couldn't snuff candles that had just been lit, at least until we had identified the scum. This is part of the reason why we were pushing to light teal and green candles (or at least the reason I was).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You live in the Midwest too, then?
Yep. The dairy state.

Vector: This has been bothering me ever since you said it:

Spoiler: For Tidyness (click to show/hide)

Because NQT started his analysis mania in M&M&H, and you're the one who plugged him.

Also, what on earth is "Maximal Townies" ... oh wait. You meant "maximize our townies". Okay.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 26, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »

Oh my god.  You're right, I think I've gotten my meta mixed up.

. . . This is actually the first time this has happened to me.  I'm not quite sure what to do.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »

There, there, it happens to all of us. Why, I get you and Toaster confused all the time.

...I can't really explain why.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 3 - One replacement needed
« Reply #579 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »

By the way, my suggestion about how to use your inspect hasn't changed, despite what's happened.

Providing independent confirmation of your claim will be valuable. Of course, I don't expect you to tell us someone else's ability in public if there's good reason to not expose them to the scum. Just as long as they can confirm that you know what their ability is, that's good enough. (I wouldn't ordinarily think I'd have to coach you on that, but...)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Light Dariush Teal: Dariush, Nerjin, Okami No Rei
Light Dariush White: Tiruin
Snuff Ottofar Green: Remuthra
Snuff Ottofar White: Captain Ford, Dariush, webadict, Tiruin, Toaster, Vector
Light Solifuge White: Captain Ford, Nerjin, notquitethere, Okami No Rei, Onyxjew944, Ottofar, webadict, Remuthra, Vector
Light Toaster Teal: Toaster

The votes are tallied, and you have decided to Light Solifuge's White Candle and Snuff Ottofar's White Candle.

Stepping to your discs you cast your final votes. Solifuge's candle flickers and then flares back, dancing merrily for a bit before stabilizing.

Ottofar's flame seems to suck itself back into the candle, leaving only a thick trail of smoke with a scent that reminds you of lantern oil. Ottofar himself slumps to the ground, unconscious. The attendant priests scurry forward and work on getting him to the Healer's hall.

The rest of you return to your chambers to pray and ponder the day's events.

Night has fallen. Send in your actions!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Night 3
« Reply #581 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »

The Fourth Day of the Trials dawns, and again you enter the Main Chamber. Fewer changes this time, but interesting ones nonetheless.

Ottofar and Solifuge are present, and seem to have recovered fully from their collapses.

Ottofar's White candle is list.

Vector's Green Candle is out, and trailing a thin line of smoke. A faint scent of dust fills the air.

The Candles stand thus:
    Captain Ford: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is out
    Dariush: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is out
    Nerjin: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is out
    notquitethere: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is out
    Okami No Rei: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is lit
    Onyxjew944: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is out
    Ottofar: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is lit
    RangerCado: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is out
    Remuthra: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is out
    Solifuge: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is lit
    Tiruin: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is lit, Teal Candle is out
    Toaster: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is out
    Vector: White Candle is lit, Green Candle is out, Teal Candle is lit

Day 4 has Begun. It will go until ~5pm Pacific Friday.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 4 brings restoration
« Reply #582 on: April 30, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »

Well, that's one theory disproven. Whoever's manipulating candles can indeed reverse changes we just made.

I find it really odd that the candle manipulators haven't started snuffing white candles yet. Maybe wiping us out isn't their goal.

Solifuge: Welcome back to the world of the living. I imagine you have a lot to say, but to summarize, I would like to hear about what you experienced while you were out, your thoughts about the happenings of the past few days, and on the players in particular.

On another front, I find it very interesting that when we felt for heat from the candles, that Meph only provided responses through PM. This is the first time he's done that for things that were stated in thread, which may imply that some of us may have received different results than others.

Or it could simply be because the results weren't things that were clearly visible to everyone. Hmm...

Speaking of which, I check all the candles again to make sure that all lit candles are producing heat, and that unlit ones are not.

Also, Light Vector's Green Candle. I'm not entirely surprised it was snuffed. But as we can simply light it again, I don't see what the point was of snuffing it. (unless of course, it's merely hidden)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 30, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »

I think if no one wants to claim fixing Ottofar, we should just resnuff him.  I would imagine, though, that someone has to be acting on the candles with a green-based action.  To truly rid ourself of Ottofar, we need to snuff the green of whomever ressed him and then smack him down.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »

Toast There's only six lit green candles: which of the six do you think is most likely?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 108