Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 199783 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:44 pm »

I'm still working on some of the exact details, but I have enough worked out that I can at least put the game into sign-ups. Knowing how many players I have will help me finalize a few things.

The setting for this game is the Great Temple at the Captial City of Lomonth. You are all Priests within the temple, which is dedicated to all five gods of Lomonth.

Telmorin: God of Heaven and Earth, Justice, Nobility
Avos: God of the Sun, Fire, Men, and War
Nirian: Goddess of Fertility, Women, the Hearth
Derala: Goddess of the Night, Moon, Magic, Dreams, Prophecy
Andoras: God of the Sea

For fun, here is an excerpt from the holy book detailing the creation of the universe:

In the beginning the sky was the whole of the universe, and Telmorin strode among the clouds, alone. Eventually the splendors of the heavens waned for him, and Telmorin wrought his will upon the world.

First, he strode atop the heavy, dark clouds that hung at the bottom of the sky, and those that he walked turned to land. The rest sunk down, and pooled to form the rivers and oceans of the world.

Next he lifted his eyes to the sky above, and singled out two perfect clouds. One he touched with his right hand, and it shimmered with a golden light and formed to the aspect of Avos. The other he touched with his left hand, and it shimmered with a silver light and formed to the aspect of Derala. And he said to them "Thou art brother and sister, and day and night shall be thy domain". Whereupon they lifted off to the heavens, and caused light to be had throughout the universe.

Pleased with his two children, Telmorin then strode to the mountains, and selected the most perfect of them. He touched the mountain with his right hand, and a giant crack opened up beneath his fingers. When it was wide enough, Andoras strode out into the light. Telmorin then walked to the other side of the mountain, and touched his left hand to it. Here too the mountain cracked, and Nirian emerged from its depth. And he brought the two together and said "Thou art brother and sister, and the oceans and earth shall be thy domain". Whereupon Andoras departed to explore the seas, and Nirian the land.

Wearied my his labours, Telmorin retired to the heights of heaven to rest. Below, his children explored the universe. In their travels, Andoras and Nirian came across Avos and Derala, and the four became friends and talked of all they had seen. As they talked, they realized that they four were the only beings any of sort any of them had seen, besides Telmorin himself. Avos and Derala, still enchanted by the beauty of the heavens, cared little. But Andoras and Nirian felt that their domains were missing something.

So the brother and sister went to Telmorin, and asked him why there were no other beings. And he replied that it was that way because he had not made any other beings. They pleaded with him to create others for them to interact with. Still tired from his labours, he dismissed them. But Nirian persisted, and begged to be allowed to create them herself. Telmorin thought on this, and consented. But he decreed that all four of the gods must have a hand in the creation, so that all of creation would be in balance.

Overjoyed, Andoras and Nirian went to share the news with Avos and Derala. They agreed to aid the others, and the four set out to populate the universe. First came Nirian, who carpeted the land with fields and forests. Then Andoras, who filled the seas with kelp and grasses. Avos looked at what was made, and declared that he would give some of his power to them during the day to give them strength. All were pleased with how much better the universe looked, but Derala complained that the plants were too simple and static, and she had little to offer them. So they conferred, and Nirian created the beasts of the wild and Andoras the fish and whales of the sea. And Derala was pleased, and said that she would give her power to them at night, to keep them rested and healthy as they slumbered. But Andoras was vexed that he and Nirian had done most of the work, and challenged Avos and Derala to add something to the world. So they conferred, and between them created the birds of day and night to give themselves company in the skies.

Telmorin came down from the heavens, and was pleased with their work. He praised the four gods, and said that he would add to their efforts himself. And so were the fantastic creatures created. Chief among them the great Dragons, which Telmorin cherished most of all.

As so the world flourished under the care of the gods, and they were pleased with the universe. And it came to pass that Nirian, dazzled by the brilliance of Avos, laid the finest of her flowers at his feet and begged him to marry her. He consented, and from their union was brought forth the race of Man upon the earth. And Avos and Nirian doted upon their children, and they multiplied

Andoras and Derala were intrigued by this new addition to the world. Derala, with her love of secrets and cunning, taught man the ways of the earth, of mining and jewelcraft, and of the secrets of magic. Andoras, while far more interested in the creatures of his own domain, was still willing to teach man the ways of the ocean, and how to live off of its bounty.

Telmorin saw these new creatures, and decided they were unfinished. So he gave them the rule of law, and the gift of leadership to the best of them, so that man would not fall into chaos and savagery.

And so the gods and man worked together, each in their place, and there was harmony for many years.

But things are not all well within the temple...

Player List
  • Toaster
  • Nerjin
  • notquitethere
  • Vector
  • Okami No Rei
  • Captain Ford
  • Dariush
  • Tiruin
  • Solifuge
  • RangerCado
  • Remuthra
  • Onyxjew944
  • Ottofar

Replacement List
  • Hapah
  • zombie urist
  • Deathsword
  • The Soldier

Webadict replaced in for RangerCado (Lack of time)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:00:12 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »

You know I can't resist signing up for a Meph game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:35:48 pm »

Basic Rules:

Note: This is a Bastard Mod game. While the rules here are generally correct, any of them can be wrong, changed at any time, or intentionally misleading. Determining the truth will be vital for victory.

There are 3 candles per player: A White, a Green, and a Teal. Each candle must be voted on separately, and any candle may be voted to be Lit if it is out, or Snuffed if it is Lit.

All players are Town Aligned (Pious priests of the Lomonthian pantheon) unless noted otherwise in their Role PM.

Quoting the Mod without permission results in a Modkill and a ban from the next game I run.

PMs are not allowed unless your Role specifically allows it.

Days will go for 72 hours (Ignoring weekends) or until everyone has voted (if there is a long period of inactivity after everyone votes I'll end the day to keep things moving).

In the event of a tie, no lynch will occur.

Night will go for 24 hours, though that's somewhat flexible. If you do not have your action in within the 24 hours you run the risk of losing your action for the night, though. If you choose not to use your action, please send that instead of just waiting for me to get on with the night without you.

Extensions: Extensions require at least 25% of the living players requesting an extension. Votes against the extension will reduce the counted number requesting (so, of 8 players if 3 vote for an extension and one votes against it it's still 2 for, which is 25%, which grants the extension.)

Extensions will extend the day by 24 hours. No more then two extensions will be granted on any given game day.

Shortening works similar to Extensions but requires a majority of players to actually occur, due to the huge effect a shortening can have on the game.

All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them. You must also state which Candle you are voting on for that player, and highlight that candle in the appropriate color (White (just make it bold, please), Green, or Teal).

All players get Two votes each day. These votes must be split between two different candles, although they can be for the same player. The Two candles with the most votes on them at the end of the day will be changed.

Hammers are not a standard part of the game. However, should Hammers come into effect somehow they will work like this: Each of the Two candles works on a separate Hammer requiring over 50% of the possible visible votes on that candle. So, if the candle with the most votes qualifies for a Hammer it is immediately Set. The runner up is only Hammered when it also gains over 50% of the available votes.

In the event of a tie for first, Both candles will be effected. If the tie involves more than 2 candles, No-Lynch will occur for all candles. If there is a tie for the Second candle only, then there will be a No-Lynch for that candle.

Speaking While Dead: The dead may post once after they have died to comment on their death. They may not provide any information about the game in this post. After this, any posting in the game before it has ended will result in a one game ban from future games. Repeated abuse, or posts that have a major impact on the game, can result in a permaban from any future games.

There is no Dead Chat for this game, since coming back from the dead is possible.

Event Order: The order of events is generally as follows:

Misdirection

Role-blocking

Protection

Investigations

Night Kills/Conversions

All kills will be effectively simultaneous. (I may make some literary liberties with this in the PMs, though)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:03:33 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »

In because I'm curious.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »

In on every bastard ever :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:48:35 pm »

Not even Telmorin could stop me from joining.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 12:55:22 pm »

I can't handle 3 games at once, lol.

Put me in the replacement list. If I get taken out of one of the games I'm currently in I might try to join if it's still in signups, though!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:22 pm »

In!
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »

Another super bastard  :o

Replacement list
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

In like a fox.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »

Useful links, Day 6 edition:
Day 1;
Day 2;
Day 3;
Day 4;
Day 5;
Day 6;
Spoiler: Ford's infosheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:37:35 am by Dariush »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:18:56 pm »

Replacement list.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »

Posting to watch.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:10 pm »

I love the lore :O

So...in depth and detailed.

In for the clergy!

Possible to be a Cleric instead of a Priest(ess)? :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:49 pm »

I love the lore :O

So...in depth and detailed.

In for the clergy!

Possible to be a Cleric instead of a Priest(ess)? :P

Glad you like it!

To be fair, I grabbed that bit of lore from a D&D campaign I ran. It's one of the more fleshed out regions of my world. Creating a reasonable religion is kinda fun, though.

As for what you're called...Priest/Priestess is pretty standard for the clergy of the Great Temple, since they serve all the gods. Devotees of a particular God/Goddess have specific names.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108