Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216629 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2013, 06:13:20 pm »

Better to check and be sure rather than go "No shit, Sherlock" and be massively wrong, really, especially when you're dealing with something that has potential policy-making ramifications or possible sociological import. Which, that in particular could fall into either.

It's not like the number of times folks have been very sure and very wrong can be counted on the digits of the average town's population. Not enough wiggly bits to go that high. Would need more fingers and toes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2013, 06:17:23 pm »

Otherwise you end up saying something like 'There are no gays in my electorate!' and look how that turned out...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:58 am »

I often drink without the goal of getting drunk; I like the taste of what I'm drinking, it acts as a complement to my food, one or two to help relax after a stressful day while leaving me quite sober, and it can also serve as a good bonding opportunity with friends.

...and other times I drink to get drunk.

They are very different things, and it is good to know the causes of alcohol consumption if you want to influence it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2013, 04:22:28 am »

Frankly I'd much prefer my tax dollars were spent on studies that actually prove the effectiveness of various types of interventions targeting alcohol related problems than simply counting the number of drunks.

A research article investigating the effect of the Alco-Pop tax? Sure, I'm right behind that. A team of government paid analysts conducting a survey of why you just had a drink? It's pointless bean-counting. We already know alcohol is one of the leading preventable causes of injury and a strong contributing factor in many diseases. What I want are numbers on solutions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2013, 04:27:49 am »

This study was done by the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education, they do that, and this, and a lot more.
What, you think all these studies are evidence that we should cut spending on research?  :P
Hohohohoho.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2013, 04:45:01 am »

A team of government paid analysts conducting a survey of why you just had a drink? It's pointless bean-counting.
What I want are numbers on solutions.

You want solutions, without fully understanding the causes of the problem in the first place? ???
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2013, 05:08:53 am »

Tell me what the study accomplishes that we didn't already know. Tell me what value it creates in guiding further policy development. I see it as simple lazy science, some schmuck in a white coat justifying his department's funding by publishing a simple survey of alcohol use instead of actually doing some real science and investigating a hypothesis.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:01 am »

Well, you need to keep track of changing alcohol consumption. You don't fight alcoholism the sameway if people do binge drinking or drink for others reasons.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2013, 05:36:30 am »

Tell me what the study accomplishes that we didn't already know. Tell me what value it creates in guiding further policy development. I see it as simple lazy science, some schmuck in a white coat justifying his department's funding by publishing a simple survey of alcohol use instead of actually doing some real science and investigating a hypothesis.
People drink to get drunk. This changes the approach you need to take in order to lower drinking habits.
Lets say people drunk because their friends do. You need to promote the idea that drinking isn't mandatory in social occasions.
Lets say people drink for escaping reality. You need more funding for mental health programs.
Lets say people drink to get drunk. You need to present the health risks involved with such behavior.

Taking the wrong approach won't have an effective outcome, thus you must understand your audience to save money and lives.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46:31 am »

Given that the survey turned out a 60 page report rather than a 1 paragraph news story, maybe they included some reasons? Hey, lookat that;
The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) carried out nation-wide polling for the fourth consecutive year to determine community attitudes and behaviours relating to alcohol. The key objectives of the polling include:
• Determining community attitudes towards alcohol in Australia;
• Gaining an understanding of self-reported alcohol consumption trends in Australia;
and
• Determining current perspectives on various alcohol-related policies.

This year, Galaxy Research was again commissioned by FARE to conduct the annual study into attitudes and behaviours. In addition to the key objectives, the 2013 Poll also sought to:
• Gain a better understanding of the behaviour of ‘preloading’, that is drinking before going out to a pub, club or bar;
• Gain an understanding of parents’ alcohol consumption practices;
• Gain an insight into how people interact with social media regarding alcohol;
and
• Explore differences in people’s perceptions on alcohol based on their voting intentions.
This report provides an overview of the findings of the 2013 nation-wide poll. It also provides information regarding trends between 2010 and 2013.

This sounds like an incredibly valuable document for anyone who is interested in alcohol regulation or public health issues, especially those writing legislation. I know the NHS over here is constantly spamming people with surveys trying to gather less detailed information than this.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:00 am »

Pah! Who needs scientific papers when you have a business newspaper?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2013, 03:18:44 am »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2013, 03:27:27 am »

Out of curiosity, what was meant by "Turn Australia into a republic", isn't Australia already a republic?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 20, 2013, 03:29:11 am »

Nope. The head of state is still technically Queen Lizzy mark 2.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 163