Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: glorious forgotten beast fights  (Read 1237 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
glorious forgotten beast fights
« on: March 23, 2013, 03:01:52 am »

when i encounter a forgotten beast theres 2, maybe 3, ways i deal with it, but the majority is the first way. For the majority, I seal off my cavern level entrance with a bridge and open up a baited cave-in trap that captures the beast 90% of the time (the 10% being when my dwarves are too busy to pull a lever in the central control room before the beast destroys the door, which is about 1-2 days or so). And i then collapse a ceiling on it and kill it with no problem; as the cave-in doesnt even cause a blood-splatter to appear for the most part, just a corpse.

A smaller number of the beasts i encounter are lured into another type of trap, one where i actually have to use some effort in marks dwarves to kill it. These beasts are usually considered safe to engage behind fortifications, but still too deadly to engage in melee (without casualties).

There is a very, very small number of beasts that i actually get to lure into my arena and send melee dwarves to engage because the vast majority of beasts have syndromes that at the very least cripples half of your well-trained well-armored squad such that they are unusable. At the worst these syndromes is the end of your fortress as they tend to linger in splattered blood and extract.

So, i was wondering, can we have more forgotten beasts in the future that arent so deadly in a malignant way? and instead just as deadly upfront: powerful, savage beasts, more like megabeasts; that retain their trapavoid. And instead of having abilities that inflict lasting consequences on your fort, they come with strong physical abilities and skills. A forgotten beast may have higher dodge, higher speed, and destroy buildings at a faster rate, quickly overwhelming and charging past preliminary defenses; but will not have fort-wiping syndromes like deadly blood or abilities like deadly dust.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: glorious forgotten beast fights
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:42:22 am »

Then your just ruining the !FUN! or the Circus if they every put forgotten beasts that far down

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:11:29 pm »

Then your just ruining the !FUN! or the Circus if they every put forgotten beasts that far down
fun is in the eyes of the player, and i dont think either a) losing my entire military to syndromes every 3 beasts or so, or b) cave-in trap killing beasts so its like they never showed up; are fun.

i havent done a evil or glacier embark yet, but every other type of fun i've encountered (including 4-tower embarks, and first year summer zombie sieges) have been manageable; some in such a way that they are no longer any fun at all (like caving in forgotten beasts).

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:43 pm »

You might just be having rotten luck.  Most of my FBs are pure brutes or webbers, occasionally one turns up with a poison bite or spit.  FBs that spread syndrome dust all over the place are pretty rare in my experience.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:08 am »

Considering Weenog's log(I haven't had a FB, I usually don't dig as far) you seem to be getting the bad hand-in terms of forgotten beasts.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »

Though, there is also a chance your forgotten beast will just be a giant overconfident wimp, like a pillar of salt or something.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »

i think i am having horrible HORRIBLE luck then... the only benign forgotten beasts i had so far were a blob of fire and a large humanoid of fire, both which stayed at the edge of the map and burned down a section of the cavern shortly after they entered (i called them benign cuz they didnt path to my fort). Most other forgotten beasts i've got had poisonous spit or excretions, poisonous vapor and blood are also not very uncommon. Deadly dust in particular though, was rare on it's own. I did not get many web spitters or poisonous biters. At least half the forgotten beasts i got were inorganic solids with at least a quarter some kind of rock or gem. I never got any gaseous or pushover beasts...

oh and i tend to get at least 1 beast per season, sometimes more. They're not as predictable as sieges and ambushes which only arrive at the end of the seasons. Not sure if this is the normal rate for beasts to arrive since i had a past fort that rarely had 1 or 2 per year.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:48:10 pm by Catsup »