Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you create underwater walls?  (Read 1652 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Can you create underwater walls?
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:27:54 pm »

Basically I was wondering can you put walls or something underwater that will block swimming.

I want to make a part of the cavern safe for fishing and water needs, without bloody pond grabber groping my dwarfs to death.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Can you create underwater walls?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:39:02 pm »

There are multiple ways. For making a "safe" pool in a cavern, probably the two easiest ways are:

1) Dig out a dry pool, and connect it to the lake with a tunnel that stops one square short of breaching the lake. Build a floodgate in the tunnel, and connect it to a lever. Then, channel out the last square from above, letting the lake water flow up against the floodgate. Open the floodgate, let the lake water fill your pool, then close the floodgate.

2) Find a portion of the underground lake that you want to wall off. Tunnel into the cavern ceiling above the lake, and collapse a row of natural stone walls into the lake. The natural stone walls will remain intact, and will block swimming access into your claimed portion. Make sure that you collapse more than one layer if your lake is more than one z-level deep.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »

Basically I was wondering can you put walls or something underwater that will block swimming.
You could use actual walls, though that might require the effort you could use to caving in some block of rock to fill in the gaps you don't like. Alternatively consider building a floor over the body of water, a horizontal wall if you will, employing floor grates to keep your fisherdwarves safe.

Or magma.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:57:21 pm »

If you block swimming into the area, you probably also block fishing, unless new fish spawn directly in the area instead of coming from off map.

You probably want to do something with grates instead. But watch out for flying/amphibious BDs!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

When fishing you are catching vermin fish, not "large creature fish" that would swim in from off map. Simply building a room over the cavern lake and putting some grates as floors, will let your dwarves fish through it in relative safety.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »

When fishing you are catching vermin fish, not "large creature fish" that would swim in from off map. Simply building a room over the cavern lake and putting some grates as floors, will let your dwarves fish through it in relative safety.

I never thought of that you can fish threw a grate floor?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »

I never thought of that you can fish threw a grate floor?

Yes, that works.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »

Wait, so I can never get those large creature fish like pike and giant sponges that way?

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »

Can you also collect water threw a grate?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 05:12:46 pm »

Wait, so I can never get those large creature fish like pike and giant sponges that way?

Not with the regular fishing labor. To get those fish, is a far more complicated procedure, and I'd recomend you read Sphalerite's Sea Serpent thread for how to catch larger aquatic animals.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780.msg1908666#msg1908666

Can you also collect water threw a grate?

Simple answer is no. But if you want to get a little trickier, you can pull water/magma up through a floor grate with a pump.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 05:40:11 am »

Can you fish in a cavern anyway? I thought this was bugged.