Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger rooms in the next version?  (Read 1650 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Danger rooms in the next version?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 06:37:53 am »

The undead change had me so hyped for playing in evil biomes, but the surprising difficulty (face-melting weather, undying zombies, vampires almost always killing their food, etc.) had me genning worlds without vampires and playing in good/neutral biomes. I really wish that headshots kept zombies dead, btw. The whole "they keep coming back" thing was beyond just weirdly non-canon, it exacerbated the whole "peasants fight literally nothing and instead run" problem.
Vampires are ubiquitous to all old civilizations, not evil biomes. Face-melting rains are very much an obstacle that can be easily overcome (and exploited!), vapours are something terrifying but not always crushing (they have been weaponized!) and the reanimating dead is not a constant, nor is it something that instantly equals Fortress destruction. There are many, many ways people thrive in those Forts.
I'm not quite sure what got you hyped, because most of the changes increased the chances of difficulty and the ranges of interactions of evil biomes. It was quite specific.
As for the headshots thing, abandon all ideas of your "canon" things and "this is how it should be." DF creates its own fantasy, anything not done by Threetoe, Toady or DF itself is not DF canon. Anything done by them is.
I once decapitated a human corpse zombie, it still kept shambling after me... This is canon. I once butchered a yak, its skin tried to strangle me... This is canon. How do bits of bone come back to life to kill me? This is canon!
Though yes, it does not make sense how something so broken can keep coming after you. It is puzzling.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »

Though yes, it does not make sense how something so broken can keep coming after you. It is puzzling.

"Peasant cancels Store Item in Bin: Interrupted by Armorer's third finger, left hand." Main reason I don't enjoy having zombies about.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:38:19 pm »

"Peasant cancels Store Item in Bin: Interrupted by Armorer's third finger, left hand." Main reason I don't enjoy having zombies about.

Fingers will not come after you lest you mod them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »

Lest = 'in case / if'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 04:11:47 pm »

Lest = 'in case / if'.
They need the [GRASP] tag. Severed fingers will not come back to kill you. The hand left behind will. The end result of constant reduction of a humanoid body will be two reanimating bits of bone and a heavily mutilated skull. These will almost certainly need to be incinerated, macerated, isolated or buried. The problem is evident but is not as severe as described, not in a reanimating biome.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »

Lest = 'in case / if'.
They need the [GRASP] tag. Severed fingers will not come back to kill you. The hand left behind will. The end result of constant reduction of a humanoid body will be two reanimating bits of bone and a heavily mutilated skull. These will almost certainly need to be incinerated, macerated, isolated or buried. The problem is evident but is not as severe as described, not in a reanimating biome.

1. You know what I meant.
2. Sutremaine was pointing out that "unless" and "lest" are not the same thing.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 06:25:52 pm »

1. You know what I meant.
2. Sutremaine was pointing out that "unless" and "lest" are not the same thing.
1. Maybe?
2. Entirely my fault, however, the point still stands.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:32 am »

The parry change will make one versus many much more difficult.  While this is bad for the lone dwarf, it is equally bad for the lone kobold/goblin/whatever facing a squad of dwarves all at once.

Remember, if its a fair fight something went horribly wrong.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 08:44:13 am »

Danger rooms would work just as they do now, if you keep the number of spears below the number of maximum attacks that can be parried.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 [2]