Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: "People Who Understand Math" and "How Math is Taught"  (Read 8268 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "People Who Understand Math" and "How Math is Taught"
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

Anyway, I find the "that method won't work every time" argument to be pretty much silly. It would be like someone telling you that it's a bad a idea to drive to the grocery store without looking it up up google maps. Because "pull out your driveway, turn left, turn right, turn left" isn't a method that will work to get you to every place. And that's true. But if those directions get you to the grocery store, and you're going to the grocery store, and you know this...there's nothing wrong with doing that rather than using the method that "works in every case" of printing out a map and directions.
In day to day life, you are right. But if you are taking a course on how to navigate using google maps, just because you happen to know one of the routes the teachers are using as examples doesn't mean you shouldn't use them to learn the skill you are being taught.

With many methods you do have to put in the time and effort to know them well enough for future application. If you are using shortcuts to avoid doing that sort of drill then I understand the teachers being annoyed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »

Eh. . . a function f is a pair of values from the product X x Y (consisting of all ordered pairs (x, y) such that x is in X and y is in Y), with every (x, y) and (x, y') in f having the property that y = y'.  Sometimes these functions can be determined by an equation, but most of the functions out there cannot.

...see...this is why people have a difficult time understanding math.

And it's because I was taught math in a way that apparently works well for most people that I had a difficult time understanding math.  This is what works for me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »

Eh. . . a function f is a pair of values from the product X x Y (consisting of all ordered pairs (x, y) such that x is in X and y is in Y), with every (x, y) and (x, y') in f having the property that y = y'.  Sometimes these functions can be determined by an equation, but most of the functions out there cannot.
I... I had reread that a few times before my brain clicked things together and said, "Ohhh that makes sense... err... I think".

Just to be clear, you are using "X x Y" to mean X * Y (X multiplied by Y), right?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2013, 04:27:51 pm »

I... I had reread that a few times before my brain clicked things together and said, "Ohhh that makes sense... err... I think".

Just to be clear, you are using "X x Y" to mean X * Y (X multiplied by Y), right?
X is the set of values that you can place into the function, and Y is the set of values that all return values are from. X x Y is not multiplication of integers, but the cartesian product of those two sets (the set of all ordered pairs with the first element from X and the second element from Y).

Example: {1, 3, 6} x {2, 6} = {(1, 2), (1, 6), (3, 2), (3, 6), (6, 2), (6, 6)}

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:17 pm »

That makes more sense, I guess. And it would better describe functions that have broken up domains.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:51:38 pm by Pnx »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »

And better suggest that most functions aren't continuous, differentiable, or any other special condition you could care to place on them.  There is a long, long list of benefits to the formal definition that doesn't depend on any defining relation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »

I'm guessing most here means "an infinitely large set, but with a higher cardinality than the set of functions that do have these limitations"?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2013, 04:58:49 pm »

If I remember correctly, the set of differentiable functions has measure zero.  That basically means that, proportionally speaking, they might as well not exist.  Less than one grain of sand on an entire beach.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2013, 04:59:37 pm »

Ah, so... like the set of integers vs. the set of complex numbers or something.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:34 pm »

So basically if I've gotten the gist of it, you're saying that the relationship between X1 and Y1 in the ordered pair (X1,Y1) can be completely different from the relationship between X2 and Y2 in (X2,Y2), despite them both being part of the same function... If I'm doing my math speak right.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2013, 05:03:35 pm »

In a certain sense, yes.

So basically if I've gotten the gist of it, you're saying that the relationship between X1 and Y1 in the ordered pair (X1,Y1) can be completely different from the relationship between X2 and Y2 in (X2,Y2), despite them both being part of the same function... If I'm doing my math speak right.

Right, like the function {(1, 3), (2, 4), (3, 4), (4, 1), (5, 2)}.  We know what each thing maps to, so it's a function!  It's just not a very pretty one.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

I'm guessing most here means "an infinitely large set, but with a higher cardinality than the set of functions that do have these limitations"?
Well, maybe Vector's just referring to a straightforward measure over all functions where the set of continuous functions has measure zero, but the set of real functions has cardinality 2^c and the set of continuous real functions have cardinality c, so your definition of "most" is also correct.

4xNinja fake-edit:
If I remember correctly, the set of differentiable functions has measure zero.  That basically means that, proportionally speaking, they might as well not exist.  Less than one grain of sand on an entire beach.
What measure are you referring to?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:56:21 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »

Yeah, the usual metric over all functions inherited from the Euclidean norm.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2013, 05:54:14 pm »

Yeah, the usual metric over all functions inherited from the Euclidean norm.
Derp, confused metric with measure (being German and stuff).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2013, 06:00:13 pm »

Hmm. . . I can't quite remember the specific measure--it's been a while.  I think it's the adaptation of the Lebesgue measure to the function space.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]