Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Courtier: A Suggestion Game  (Read 11711 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Courtier: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »

That city is not ours and not our benefactors anymore. We're mercs, not saints, and our benefactors will never need to know our little contribution to the war effort. Vows are worth nothing to dead men.

And yes, I meant fix them. Let's fix 'em up real good like.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »

Think: What do we gain by burning the city? Should we be discovered, the burning hate of the townspeople, the conquerers, the people of the town's nation, and everyone abiding by the First Maxim of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 09:47:59 pm »

Think: what do we gain by not burning the city? Should we be discovered, death.

We should abide by the First Maxim of Looking out for Number One. Survive first, then pillage.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:09 pm »

Maxim One is actually "Pillage, then Burn", so logically your plan is fine so long as you loot first.  Working on the update now.

P.S.  The town is already on fire in several places, and I've taken this into account.  Depending on die rolls, of course, we may still get to indulge our pyro tendencies...
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:26 pm »

Think: what do we gain by not burning the city? Should we be discovered, death.

We should abide by the First Maxim of Looking out for Number One. Survive first, then pillage.
How does burning the town help us survive? It just adds a new foe. Oh, and wastes a firebomb.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »

How does burning the town help us survive? It just adds a new foe. Oh, and wastes a firebomb.

The enemy is in these narrow winding streets, chasing our troops toward the citadel. The citadel will have a certain killing field in front of it and will not burn like the crowded housing. The enemy cannot get into the citadel without storming it, and if they have an inferno to their rear, they will naturally be panicked at the implications. A fire that starts behind them in the middle of a crowded maze of buildings... they cannot easily escape into the citadel...

Meanwhile, on the rooftops, we see the citadel and go toward it. They let us in. We keep mum about that little fire. It's a foe, but only to those attackers who remain in the city, while we fallback to the citadel like other defenders.

A firebomb is one of thousands used today. It's not a big deal as a weapon unless used at the right time, and being surrounded by enemies rushing past you towards your only safety is an excellent time.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:57 pm »

Tovey is caught for a moment in indecision, so you suggest the rooftop.  He looks pointedly at your arm but you tell him that you can take it - better to be able to see where you're going.  He agrees, so you strap your spear to your back with the javelins and climb the ladder with the help of Mord and John, emerging onto the slanted tiled roof above.

You find yourself immediately under fire from the half a dozen archers on the nearby rooftop that drove you into the house in the first place and throw yourselves to the roof immediately, scrambling for the cover provided by the roof's peak.  Arrows clatter around you, and a sharp cry alerts you to the arrow sticking through John's shoulder - the head pierced clear through the flesh and out the other side.

You grit your teeth and unhook the firepot from your belt.  Tovey tosses you a firestarter, but you can't seem to get the oil-soaked cloth to light.  You swear profusely and hook the pot back onto your belt, drawing a javelin instead with your good arm.  You peek over the lip of the roof, draw your arm back and hurl.  Even using your good arm, the strain on your chest makes the arrow-wound scream with pain, but you fight through it.  The shaft sails neatly through the air and into the leg of one of the archers, who loses his footing and clatters to the street below.  You duck in time to avoid another smattering of arrows, unhook one of the axes from your belt and pop up and down again nearly immediately to throw it.  The axe lands blade-first in the lead archer's collarbone and he goes down.  The other archers scramble for cover themselves, so you take advantage of the lull and make a break for it.

While you were busy skirmishing, it seems Tovey already broke the arrow-shaft in John's shoulder and pushed it through.  Blood is streamly freely from the wound, and Tovey had little time to do much for it beyond tying a handerchief around the hole.  Mord helps him along as the four of you scramble from rooftop to rooftop, keeping out of the way of archer fire and making your way toward the castle in the hope of relief from the enemy attacks.

All seems to be going well until you try and leap between two buildings spaced just a little too far apart, miss, and catch the lip of the roof just in time to avoid hurtling down to the street.  Your body slams hard against the masonry and your left arm screams with the effort of trying to keep hold of the thin lip.  Mord and Tovey both made the jump ahead of you, so they reach down and drag you back up.  John makes the jump as well, though he sways unsteadily, and the four of you continue onward, the pain and exhaustion causing you to trip several times on loose tiles as you go.

You scale up a building adjoining another, taller one with some difficulty and begin running through the taller part of the town, evading archers and other fire until you reach the mound and moat of Dewden and are able to survey the scene.

The siege is still in full progress.  Scaling ladders are being thrown up against the walls, cast off and reset, rocks and oil dropped by the defenders, teams of enemy fighters trying to climb up and several even fighting on the walls.  Hundreds of enemy soldiers huddle behind wooden covers and shields around the keep to avoid archer fire from the defenders and trebuchets continue to hurl rocks and firepots at the castle.  There are a few fires on the battlements, but they are quickly put out.  The walls still seem to be holding solid, but it is only a matter of time before the siege weapons make enough progress to force a breach.

There doesn't seem to be any way to get into the castle without being shot as an invader, at least while the siege is ongoing.  You scan the battlefield for anything of use.  There look to be about eight trebuchets still in operation, the nearest only about fifty feet away and perhaps fifteen feet from the house overlooking it.  The engineers working the machines are lightly armoured in leather and don't seem to carry much in weapons beyond short-handled axes, though they have guards of about a dozen footmen each.  You can also see a large tent about a hundred feet in the other direction, safely out of bowshot from the castle but still behind several wooden barriers.  The tent has a few arrow holes in it and is well guarded, but lined with purple cloth.  It is about thirty feet away from the nearest building.  Finally you can see several mounted figures in heavier chain armour at points all around the field, commanding troops and giving orders.

Most importantly of all, none of them seem to have seen you.  Where will you go from here?

Spoiler: Garntice Hestaceson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Possessions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Legal Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deceased (click to show/hide)

Your main character armour is full of holes right now and leaking blood.  It is, in fact, as strong as your regular armour, which is a bunch of thick furs wrapped around leather plates and reinforced with a dish-sized shield on one arm invented for longsword duelling rather than protection from arrows.  Do you feel secure?  You shouldn't.

I am fully prepared to kill Garntice in Month One if you roll badly enough or act inconsiderately enough.  If you want to take risks for glory, my goodness are they going to be risks.  Then again, my goodness will it be glorious if you win out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:28:19 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »

I don't always hide like a coward, but when I do, it's because of hopeless situations. Stay alive, my friends.

Seriously though, I'm utterly drawing a blank on how to make a difference here. The trebuchets have firepot ammo, so maybe we can toss our firepot in amongst theirs ... and it only removes one trebuchet, possibly destroys us in the blast radius.

Maybe we could climb over to the purple tent and throw it onto that, and hope that purple signifies royalty, and killing him is enough to change the political situation and cause withdrawal. But why would royalty be in a tent that clearly has a few arrowholes in it? Something worth killing is probably in there, at any rate, and it's better than dying by being caught in our own blast radius...

Choices, choices... how would the rest of you like to die today?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:49:37 pm by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:35 am »

I think trying to make a difference here has a very good chance of being suicidal, considering there's only four people in our immediate group.

That said, there's two courses of action (beyond merely laying low to fight another day) that might work.

The first possibility is to try and defeat the surrounding guards to take over a Trebuchet for ourselves. (Assuming that our group could work and fire one correctly.) Someone could show themselves and try to lure the group of guards around a corner or into a building, where we can use the firepot to kill most of them and take out the rest in some quick combat. Killing the engineers would probably be relatively easy, and we might be able to get off a couple shots with the siege engine (first at the purple tent, and then maybe at the other trebuchets) before anyone could stop us.

The other idea I have is to look around for some slain guards (or ambush a couple ourselves), and take their armor. With that disguise, it'd be a little easier to firebomb the purple tent, and hopefully kill someone important.

Again, I don't necessarily endorse these plans, but if you guys really want to try something, they're the best ideas I have.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 06:26:33 am »

Sweeping up after a kindly blacksmith sounds pretty nice at the moment...

Let's hide. Drop our weapons, go in a house, and hide. Screw this Duke. We can't help him. Let's live to fight another day.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:20 am »

Generally, apprenticeships began with the parents paying a premium to the craftsman; and for blacksmiths, that'd be some serious dosh. We'd be starving on a street back home... which still sounds pretty good, actually, in comparison.

Okay, fine, let's hide. Let's try to get weapons and armour that the enemy wears and join in the pillaging and looting. The fall of a city was a chaotic bedlam of the winners rushing to prey on civilians, maybe we can get mixed up in it, get paid a little on our own initiative and escape.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 08:58:15 am »

The enemy is in these narrow winding streets, chasing our troops toward the citadel. The citadel will have a certain killing field in front of it and will not burn like the crowded housing. The enemy cannot get into the citadel without storming it, and if they have an inferno to their rear, they will naturally be panicked at the implications. A fire that starts behind them in the middle of a crowded maze of buildings... they cannot easily escape into the citadel...
Meanwhile, on the rooftops, we see the citadel and go toward it. They let us in. We keep mum about that little fire. It's a foe, but only to those attackers who remain in the city, while we fallback to the citadel like other defenders.
Aren't citadels usually...inside the city you propose to set on fire?
Besides, there's people watching...

Let's hide. Drop our weapons, go in a house, and hide. Screw this Duke. We can't help him. Let's live to fight another day.
Something like this. Sneaking into the enemy army is attractive--it might even let us escape our debt, depending on where the enemy is from.
Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 12:19:38 pm »

Joining the enemy forces may not sit well with our friends (they'd kill us), and do we even speak the same language?

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:04 pm »

Joining the enemy forces may not sit well with our friends (they'd kill us), and do we even speak the same language?

Those guys in the castle are dead. We don't have to join the enemy, just look like them enough that they don't ask questions, get some loot in the chaos, and get away. The sacking of a city breaks enemy disciple for a good long while, often it would take days for an army to restore order to its "celebrating" troops.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »

We really need to enter the live to fight another day state of mind. All of us are exhausted, half of us are wounded, and on all counts we are outnumbered. We need to run, hide and rest. We might be able to make a difference at some point, but now is not that point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11