Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lying Has Become Acceptable  (Read 6858 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lying Has Become Acceptable
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:29:25 am »

This thought is in response to the SimCity/EA/Maxis situation. But instead of derailing the SimCity thread, I thought I would post it here.

What disappoints me most about our current state of affairs is that lying has become acceptable in the upper echelons of government/corporate culture.

If someone lies with me in real life, I quit dealing with them. But they have created a culture of lying upon lying. And nothing seems to hold them accountable. It's frustrating.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Lying Has Become Acceptable
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:23 am »

Explain the trail of logic that led you to this deduction. What did EA/Maxis say that you take as subterfuge?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:34:28 am »

I think this article sums up my thoughts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/16/simcity-bosss-straight-answers-seem-pretty-wiggly/

Marketing is fine. Hype up your features. Make them appealing. But don't lie.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:58 am »

You're new to capitalism, aren't you?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:50 am »

Whoah, I have no idea what this is in response to, but- when was lying ever unacceptable? D:
I lie all the time. Well, not really- I don't interact with people that often- but when I do speak to people, I generally just lie without even thinking about it. Usually just small, harmless lies, of course, but still a lot of them.

My entire daily existence is built on a whole heap of lies, printed out on small cards and stacked against one another to form some sort of rickety structure upon which I sit, leaning fowards to hammer away at the keys of my computer. I get a little rush of pleasure whenever someone buys one of my lies without questioning it, and my skill at lying is a matter of pride- in secret, of course. :P
I don't go up and introduce myself as Yoink, Adequate Liar...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:46:00 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:01:49 am »

Whoah, I have no idea what this is in response to, but- when was lying ever unacceptable? D:
I lie all the time. Well, not really- I don't interact with people that often- but when I do speak to people, I generally just lie without even thinking about it. Usually just small, harmless lies, of course, but still a lot of them.

My entire daily existence is built on a whole heap of lies, printed out on small cards and stacked against one another to form some sort of rickety structure upon which I sit, leaning fowards to hammer away at the keys of my computer. I get a little rush of pleasure whenever someone buys one of my lies without questioning it, and my skill at lying is a matter of pride- in secret, of course. :P
I don't go up and introduce myself as Yoink, Adequate Liar...

Of course not. You'd lie and introduce yourself as Yoink, Legendary +2 Liar.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:05:49 am »

Not new. Maybe becoming disillusioned.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:51 am »

People have been lying since they could talk, not gonna change.

And if you ever believed politicians where telling the truth, you are just gullible.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:27 am »

Not new. Maybe becoming disillusioned.

Well you should have been disillusioned a while ago. If you want to look up people straight up lying about their product to sell it or to justify their screwing over their customers, you don't have to look far.

I mean, just a couple months ago there was that big horse meat scandal in Europe. And Australian game dealers selling their games for nearly double what other countries pay because of "increased shipping costs", then keeping the price inflation on digital versions that don't need to be shipped. EA is by no means unique.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:48:23 am »

Lying is a basic function of communication. If we couldn't lie we couldn't communicate at all, because lying is nothing more than sending knowingly false communicative data to another person.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »

And two people coming along justifying lying explains to me why there is lying and it is acceptable. It might just be a small Midwest rural town like the one I live in doesn't accept lying. But, obviously, others do. It's baffling to me.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »

It depends on the sort of lie. Many lies will never be find out and are of little consequence anyway ('white' lies). Then there are the more important lies, like "I did not kill that man", or "No, I did not sleep with your sister."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

Those in power tell those weaker or subordinate than them not to lie because it increases their power. That's why your mother tells you not to lie, your religion tells you not to lie, and your government makes many forms of misrepresentation illegal.

That said, without strong societal restrictions everybody will lie anyway, especially when honestly is never rewarded and lying is not only never punished but is often the best and most profitable solution.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:46 pm »

And two people coming along justifying lying explains to me why there is lying and it is acceptable. It might just be a small Midwest rural town like the one I live in doesn't accept lying. But, obviously, others do. It's baffling to me.

Seriously?  People lie all the time no matter their location; in places like that it's mostly lies of omission and passive-aggressive statements behind others backs.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »

What if this whole thread is a lie? How can we be sure? NO ONE IS SAFE!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5