Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51741 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »

You'd definitely still have to clean your mouth out. The purpose of brushing your teeth is to kill off icky germs and bacteria, not get food gunk out. That's what flossing is for.

You know what bacteria really like? Warm, dark, and moist places. You know where you have a warm, dark, moist place? Well that's what douches are for, but you know where else there's a warm, dark, moist place that also has tons of organic matter perfect for growing colonies with is, and is also really, really easy to get to? Yeah, your mouth is basically a haven for stuff that you don't want to have a haven for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

Not all bacterias are bad though. We're starting to understand than getting good bacterias inside your mouth is as important as killing the bad one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Eh. You go easy on the flavor packet. It doesn't actually take the whole pack to get good flavor. Like, it barely takes a third, if that. And even a full one is below the daily 2k cal diet thingy.

Beyond that, lemme hunt up that... thing. Someone made a good post about high salt diet a while back. The tl;dr version was it's actually not that bad for you, and better than a low salt diet in the long run, iirc. And now I can't find the damn thing, argh. Must keep hunting.

E: Must surrender hunting. Tired, in pain, vaguely ill. Try again later. Maybe. Can ignore second part. First part still stands. Yes, ramen's salty, but overall not that bad and you can leave most of it (or all of it -- my grandmother eats the stuff by cooking the noodles, pouring the water out, and then seasoning it with cumin) out without meaningfully impacting the edibility.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:45:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »

I'm guessing one problem is that there's a higher percentage of people who will be harmed excessively by a high-salt diet. Like, most people would be fine with it, but a lot wouldn't due to other health issues, so they make it a big deal. And low-salt diets aren't as much of a danger in America, and probably lots of other places.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2013, 05:30:27 am »

Just did a little checking in on the discussion group.  Not sure what's going on with the Kickstarter.  It should be up by now.  However, I'm seeing some new claims from Rob that he already has all the groundwork set for launching a business.  He's collected enough data to design a few varieties of Soylent that he's confident will cover just about anyone's base needs, and he's put together a professional team and a relationship with an FDA-approved facility in preparation for mass production.  Just need that damn Kickstarter.  There's some concern that it may be against the rules.  That may be what the delay is about.

In the meantime, people are starting to post their own recipes.  Here's one.  The Poor Man's Soylent.  I think I'll wait.  It's reassuring, though, to see how much this has captured people's attentions.  Even if Rob doesn't follow through, I think someone else eventually will.  There are apparently a decent number of people out there who have figured it out for themselves.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2013, 06:11:53 am »

In the meantime, people are starting to post their own recipes.  Here's one.  The Poor Man's Soylent.  I think I'll wait.  It's reassuring, though, to see how much this has captured people's attentions.  Even if Rob doesn't follow through, I think someone else eventually will.  There are apparently a decent number of people out there who have figured it out for themselves.

OMG finally a concrete recipe. When I get home I'll flip a coin to decide if I'll completely overhaul my eating habits.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2013, 06:40:39 am »

OMG finally a concrete recipe. When I get home I'll flip a coin to decide if I'll completely overhaul my eating habits.

I'm not going to risk these unless there's some major delays on Rob's product.  It's based on Rob's formula, but just looking at the comments shows that it's not as well researched.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2013, 07:35:35 am »

I wonder what is more economically sustainable, a soylent style diet, or alternatives such as eating crickets and such... What is the smallest footprint meal a person can live off?
I know eating beef is very costly from a green point of view.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:33 am »

As a rule of thumb, getting as close to photosynthesis while getting all your nutrients gets you lower footprints.

Of course, there's transportation costs and how much water and energy goes into growing them (AFAIK Kale, for example, is more intensive than wheat or rice)

Personally I can't wait until we get totally artificial food supply, using technology to capture sun energy and convert it into delicious meal-paste (presumably formed into actual food-like product!tm), and then leave the rest of the world over to wilderness and live in cities and such.

I want my damn food-like product, and more importantly, rainforest back! D:<
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:51 am »

Actually soy beans are pretty much that... They are just protein, and then some more protein, topped with protein.
I kind of live off them right now on the basis that they cost almost nothing, and aren't too bad if you cook them correctly.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2013, 07:54:13 am »

But I like meat! D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:06 am »

Relevant post from Rob when asked whether Soylent is vegan

Quote from: Rob
Soylent is vegetarian, but not vegan. I will be providing a vegan version separately because it is more expensive. People have told me they are willing to pay a little more for a vegan version but I'd still like to offer one using whey that is as cheap as possible. Perhaps at some point we can figure out a novel way to produce amino acids cheaper than cows can. Synthetic biology?

Flax oil does not have the EPA and DHA fatty acids, but it does have an acid (ALA) that the body can use to synthesize EPA and DHA, it just takes more energy, and the conversion efficiency is low. This will be the source of the omega 3's in the vegan version.

One of my favorite parts of soylent is many ingredients don't come from food at all. For example, potassium comes from sylvite, and calcium comes from limestone. No farming or livestock required.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2013, 08:03:12 am »

But I like meat! D:
It'll be meat, just without the gratuitous animal cruelty, horrible carbon and other pollution, or chopping out rainforest for bare farmland.

It'll taste like meat, look like meat, and if you want we can stick a speaker in it so it can moo.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:35 am »

Although unlike a lot of 'meat' that goes into low cost food, it hasn't been washed with ammonia.

Oh god I'm going to become a vegetarian. Fuck it I need to go slaughter something before it gets worse. But they have such loving round eyes... NO! BE A MAN AND BITE THE DAMN RABBIT! But its cute and fluffy! SUCK IT UP AND RUIN EASTER!!!!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2013, 08:08:57 am »

Oh, shit!  Go box a kangaroo into submission, rip its throat out with your teeth, and drink its blood before it's too late!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38