Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51683 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »

I'm not sure it was intentional, but the thread title is very witty.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »

I'm not sure it was intentional, but the thread title is very witty.
I deliberated long and hard about whether or not to include the comma...

So yeah, it's intentional.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:46 pm »

It's more Soylent Beige, really.

People tend to forget that the movie had quite a few different colors of Soylent that the people ate, with different ingredients for each type.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »

i know a bunch of kids im experimenting this on >:D

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »

It's more Soylent Beige, really.

People tend to forget that the movie had quite a few different colors of Soylent that the people ate, with different ingredients for each type.
I don't think anybody forgets that.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »

So, I've reading up on some comments.
The "recipe" he posted is for a whole day apparently, he consumes it over the course of the day, so it's less than $5 for a whole day, he listed the cost as being about $154 a month, which is about 1/4 what the average American spends on food.

Really? The portion he posted is only about 1300 calories, so I'd imagine most people would need more.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

I want to try this. I have a friend who has been studying nutrition and I will ask him to help me make it.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:07 pm »

So, I've reading up on some comments.
The "recipe" he posted is for a whole day apparently, he consumes it over the course of the day, so it's less than $5 for a whole day, he listed the cost as being about $154 a month, which is about 1/4 what the average American spends on food.

Really? The portion he posted is only about 1300 calories, so I'd imagine most people would need more.
It was this sort of thing that made me think that it was a two a day thing, but the guy claims he only eats 70-80% of the mixture over the course of a day depending on how hungry he is, and he still felt more energetic and healthier than ever, even after a month of eating nothing but.

It's been thought that maybe the powdered form of the food makes it much easier to digest, leading to better absorption and less energy expended in gaining the calories.

I want to try this. I have a friend who has been studying nutrition and I will ask him to help me make it.
I'm thinking of putting together some spreadsheets to start formulating a battle plan should anyone want to try this.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:11 pm »

Ugh, I like food to much to ever do this.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »

I noticed how he mentioned how the mixture didn't keep very well in water, so it probably won't have that much impact for the time being, and then there's the FDA to deal with, probably. However, maybe he could sell packets of mix that would keep, similar to gatorade mix, as it seems keeping it in suspension/solution/whatever is an issue.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »

He could just sell giant plastic containers full of it, then you just pour it out and mix it up when you want to eat some.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »

154/30.5 days (average for 30/31 month) = 5.04 so it's 5$. You can eat for less (e.g. ramen), but it's probably not as "complete" (not gonna say healthy for now).

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:45 pm »

154/30.5 days (average for 30/31 month) = 5.04 so it's 5$. You can eat for less (e.g. ramen), but it's probably not as "complete" (not gonna say healthy for now).
So still less than one would spend on food otherwise- you can theoretically eat at a fast food place for ~2-3 bucks, but that's not that healthy (same probably applies to ramen and the like), is per meal, not per day, and this sounds healthier, though the trials will show whether it not is is, though the initial results sound promising.

And yeah, @Lemon, powdered form does sound like the way to go right now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »

In theory you can still live a basic subsistence diet for less, but it's more difficult, time consuming, and you'd have to struggle to push off malnutrition. I'd also point out that a lot of foodstuffs get more expensive in major cities, whereas this stuff would stay roughly the same price.

I noticed how he mentioned how the mixture didn't keep very well in water, so it probably won't have that much impact for the time being, and then there's the FDA to deal with, probably. However, maybe he could sell packets of mix that would keep, similar to gatorade mix, as it seems keeping it in suspension/solution/whatever is an issue.
I suspect that once you add in water the stuff becomes a lot more palatable to various bacteria and such, hence the issues with preservation.

Plus in theory it should get substantially cheaper if you're mass producing. Packets of "soylent" might get to be as cheap as a packet of ramen, if not cheaper in the future.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:45 pm »

... I say again. You can eat considerably better and considerably more than just ramen or whatever a 2-3 buck option at a fastfood joint (restaurants will cost you more than cooking will pretty much everywhere.) will offer at less than five bucks a day. I average around $80 a month feeding just myself (and that's with plenty of necessary stuff included -- sweets, chips, occasional soda, whatever), and we're talking pasta (Mac and cheese currently running at ~58 cents a 7.25g box [~8 cent/gram), or ramen if wanted. Bag of pasta's running ~7.5 cent/gram.) rice (3 cent/gram, or about two-three bucks for a two pound bag.), and potatoes (~3 bucks for a big box of instant mashed that'll last for most of a month, and we're not talking small servings.), with cheese and a bit of meat, varying sauces and seasonings, vitamin supplement and a dabbling of junk food.

With the cheese, meat, and etcs. spread out over many meals ($6 bag of chicken, ferex, will tend to last maybe two weeks, sometimes more, so you're looking at something like 40 cent of chicken per day on average. Usually less, honestly.), it comes out to somewhere between one and two bucks per meal, and we're talking a bowl of food that'll put me into a minor stupor if I eat all of it (i.e. three to four servings worth of food per cooking).

Maybe I'm just in a pretty good area for food, I'unno. Having seen other people shop for food, I suspect greatly it's a lot more of people having no goddamn idea how to power shop for comestibles than anything else. Seriously. Price per weight is your golden measure. If they're not nice enough to provide it on the sticker (and sometimes it's a good idea to doublecheck anyway), divide the price by the weight and find out. Find the equilibrium point between cost and quality. I've found it to be pretty bloody low. Saying again: If it's getting over 10-15 cent per ounce or gram (adjust upwards a bit for things like meat and cheese, but you're still looking at <30 cent/weight, usually less than 25), you're probably getting ripped off to some degree. If you're actually smart and you buy in bulk (note, none of this is bulk prices. Those can get even lower, but you're limited in what you can buy that way.). it gets even cheaper by weight. Friend of mine does something like a month worth of pea soup for something like five bucks, iirc, as an example. We're talking a solid sized bowl of soup for ~16 cent a day, and then you can throw in other stuff to improve/expand the experience. Vitamin supplements do help, but a daily runs something like 5 cent a day (last time I got some, it was running ~12 bucks for a 200 or so tablet container [6 cent/pill], but I was getting something a little more expensive for reasons unrelated to price) which is a really negligible increase.

I will give that it can get more expensive in cities, though. Priced a bit last time I was down in Tampa, lot of stuff looked to be a good 50-100% increase in price/weight compared to a equitable store in the area I'm normally in. Which still puts you at something like 3-4 bucks for a very, very solid meal, since the store I managed to ogle was one that normally overcharges on stuff like that.

As for effort. You do have to actually read the price stickers, maybe check out some of the smaller food selling joints in your area, only buy certain things from certain places, and run a little math in your head (or bring a calculator, whatever). But it's really, really not that effort intensive, and a vitamin supplement will cover a lot of potential malnutrition issues (as will just having a more varied diet than I normally eat, which seriously doesn't increase the price by much. Less grains or meat, more vegetables. Not a big thing.). Hell, maybe two or three. Stuff's cheap. But yeah. You get used to shopping like that pretty quickly, and it's not some kind of arcane gustatory obstacle course. Buy as cheap as you can manage to stomach (and a few simple seasonings and additions can extend that list pretty low). That's really all there is to it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38