Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17356 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

No, I left an unaltered blank house overnight and got money while offline
Shoes...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

Hmm. I've never left a house running while away before; I usually play until I lose hours of work, then quit out of frustration.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »

ugh can someone help me how do people set a time for their traps ? for the life of me i cant figure it out
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »

Using pets, from what I can tell. For example, put a cat in a long corridor, at the end of which is a pressure pad, knowing the cat will immediately break for it in order to put as much distance between itself and the robber. That way, you know the robber has exactly as many turns as the distance between the cat and the pressure pad (to begin with) before the traps turn on.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »

So, is there any way to sell paintings or are they just a trophy/status symbol?
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »

Using pets, from what I can tell. For example, put a cat in a long corridor, at the end of which is a pressure pad, knowing the cat will immediately break for it in order to put as much distance between itself and the robber. That way, you know the robber has exactly as many turns as the distance between the cat and the pressure pad (to begin with) before the traps turn on.

ahhhhhhh i see this makes sense, would be better if we had timers and other fun electrical things though :P

i think paintings are just a trophy right now i think.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

I'm thinking of making one with an obvious cat and three turns before it reaches a pressure plate with obvious wires leading to an array of trapdoors.  The thief must choose to go up or down, but at the last turn before he falls finds a door with another trapdoor behind it.  The trick:  both paths appear false in this way, but one of them is an unwired decoy.  Make him second-guess himself when he has no time to be second guessing himself.

EDIT:  This looks like it might be too expensive unless I rejangle it, not to mention trapdoors will keep my family from getting out.

EDIT EDIT:  Uuugh!  My fucking family!  All of my best setups are impossible because my family can't get out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:46:32 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 06:00:42 pm »

Cthulhu I just place my family near the door and what ever happens happens :P.

Also it seems that having paintings in your house counts as cash when other people are looking to rob you, so if a painting becomes super expensive which you have expect to be robbed rather quickly :P

Which sucks because I have my super tough house back and I'm at the top of the leader board where I don't want to be :(

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »

I've got my eye on that painting of a butt by Edmund McMillan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

Which sucks because I have my super tough house back and I'm at the top of the leader board where I don't want to be :(

Reminds me of an Episode of Duckman where in order to protect his family he installs a really expencive security device and is very impressive. So impressive that house robbers walk by his house, see it, and assume he has some really great stuff in there.

Which it seems this game does that. With people who sometimes have no security manage to be safer then those who have the most impressive security of all time.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:02 pm »

I finally got one that seems decent without any pitbulls.

There's a path into the open house that lets the family out, but it doesn't lead anywhere, though you could probably go around back to cut through the wall and get the prize for free, I'll do something to take care of that later on.

Skipping that you have a window revealing a cat, and a trapdoor that you have to cross.  Wires are all over.  The implication is clear.  Two paths, both lead to doors with trapdoors behind them, and both are far enough in that you won't be able to just turn around and go back.  It's basically what I discussed above.  Confuse the player and make him think he chose wrong.  One of the trapdoors never opens, it's a decoy.

It didn't work.  Fuck it, pitbull gambits are the obvious choice.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:17:27 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »

Cthulhu I just place my family near the door and what ever happens happens :P.

Also it seems that having paintings in your house counts as cash when other people are looking to rob you, so if a painting becomes super expensive which you have expect to be robbed rather quickly :P

Did you get robbed in the last hour? Got me 6k from a pretty fancy trapped house.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »

I hope that wasn't my house... I haven't checked in a little while, since I started rendering another recording. But to Cthulhu, I'd caution against losing hope. Sure pitbulls can be annoying, but they have a place and shouldn't be avoided completely just because some people use them irresponsibly. There's definitly a place for intelligent trap design. My second recording shows what I've been working on, it takes me a few minutes to give everyone a tour of it and describe how it works (and how it will hopefully not work for the robbers), then after a little robbery to get enough money to attract some victims, I show some security footage of the traps in action :)

While this is certainly no where near as complicated as it can get, I think it's a pretty fun design that isn't just banks and banks of electric floors or legions of dogs. You can check it out here: Surprise Chihuahua. I'd love to get some good discussion going on here regarding good trap design or any tricks we find :D

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »

I just have two separate security tapes of the same man killing one of my children. He walked in, clubbed my son to death, then left. Then he came back, killed my daughter, and left again.  :o. Whoever he is, I'm grateful to him for getting rid of those nuisances; now I can expand my house right up to the gate :D.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »

I just accidentally clicked the suicide button with over $8,000 in cash, a bunch of tools, and five paintings  :'(. I really wish that there was some sort of confirmation prompt when you committed suicide, or the button wasn't in the same position the "Done" button is. Or maybe I'm just stupid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17