Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: New Pope  (Read 7989 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: New Pope
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »

* FearfulJesuit pops out of hiatus to bless Bay12.

* FearfulJesuit has disappeared again in a puff of white smoke.

I knew it. That's why he was absent. He needed to go get elected. FJ IS POPE FRANCIS I
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 02:52:07 pm »

He is likely not to change things, since he is inherently one of the old guard, always, However. I believe he was the candidate the Curia was rallying behind, at least that's what the NY times told me. If so, it's a victory for the Counter-reformists, or the Romans, as the NYT calls them.
Hmm...now to find a way to call him Peter, and the Prophecies Shall Be Fulfilled!! (There's always a way....)

* FearfulJesuit pops out of hiatus to bless Bay12.

* FearfulJesuit has disappeared again in a puff of white smoke.

I knew it. That's why he was absent. He needed to go get elected. FJ IS POPE FRANCIS I
BEST. TROLL. EVER.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »

Really curious about how Bergoglio's papacy will turn out, I'm expecting surprises. Also, sort of unusual for a jesuit to choose the name Francis.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:32 pm »

It's interesting that there's never been a Pope Dominic. Then he could be Papa Dom, the tastiest of the Holy Fathers.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:30 pm »

* Haspen looks at 'Papa Dom', then at RedKing, then his flags, then what he remembe-

D:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »

* Haspen looks at 'Papa Dom', then at RedKing, then his flags, then what he remembe-

D:
No, no, no.....THIS.

I'm not even sure I want to know what *you* were thinking. D:

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

A pity.
One day when the next pope election are out, one should go there and 'by crowd acclamation' proclaim someone like an atheist or a science follower, or heck even a nerd who believes in Pelor or Nerull.
Think about the fun it would be:
the pope is a scientist.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »

A pity.
One day when the next pope election are out, one should go there and 'by crowd acclamation' proclaim someone like an atheist or a science follower, or heck even a nerd who believes in Pelor or Nerull.
the pope is a scientist.

Should be noted that science is not directly contrary to science, Issac Newton was a devout Christian.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »

A pity.
the pope is a scientist.

Should be noted that science is not directly contrary to science, Issac Newton was a devout Christian.
"Should be noted that science is not directly contrary to science"
I should hope not.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 03:52:36 pm »

A pity.
the pope is a scientist.

"Should be noted that science is not directly contrary to science"
I should hope not.
On the contrary, science is quite frequently contrary to science. As in, new discoveries challenge the body of "established knowledge" that passes for science in common parlance.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »

Christianity, I meant. Hell, the pope (Benedict) recognizes evolution, even if his flock don't listen. Yeah. The vatican recognizes evolution. Bet you didn't know that. Which means if you're catholic and don't believe in Evolution, you're going to hell.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 03:56:54 pm »

It's gonna be real awkward if this guy dies of a heart attack tomorrow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »

Christianity, I meant. Hell, the pope (Benedict) recognizes evolution, even if his flock don't listen. Yeah. The vatican recognizes evolution. Bet you didn't know that. Which means if you're catholic and don't believe in Evolution, you're going to hell.
The Church is a harsh mistress.

Is that still doctrine? That if you don't believe certain things the Pope has said to be "truth", then you're damned?

It's gonna be real awkward if this guy dies of a heart attack tomorrow.
Which could happen. Dude's already 76. John Paul I only lasted 33 days. Two popes (Urban VII and Celestine IV) died before they could be consecrated as Popes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:59:42 pm by RedKing »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »

Don't know, aren't Catholic, so don't care. He can say Bob Marley was Jesus for all I care.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »

Is that still doctrine? That if you don't believe certain things the Pope has said to be "truth", then you're damned?
This is not and has never been doctrine.

As discussed previously, the Pope is (in theory) elected because the things that he says about God/the Catholic church are in accord with what God says. If the Pope says one thing and you say another, it is assumed (but not known for certain) that God agrees with the Pope's side of the argument, since again, in theory, the Pope only says things that God agrees with.

In practice, it's a bunch of bunk, there is no God for the Pope to agree with and the Papacy is selected for political reasons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7