Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The game does not use more than 1 gb ram.  (Read 1194 times)

vikmgn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The game does not use more than 1 gb ram.
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:02:59 am »

Hello everyone, I got the problem that game does not use more than 1 gb ram. I have herd that some people managed to increase the ram usage, anybody can help how to do this? I would much appreciate it.

I have windows 7 64x with 16gb ram. tried to use Large Address Aware but it did not seem to help at all.

Thank you for your attention.

PS: tried to search this issue in google and on this forum, but did not find anything useful.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: The game does not use more than 1 gb ram.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:59 am »

Strange, the limit is supposed to be 2 GB. But if Large Address Aware doesn't help, there isn't much you can do.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:28 am »

How bad is the lag for you? If its a lot of lag they have some mods to reduce clutter from all the leathers clothing to just regular clothing

vikmgn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »

How bad is the lag for you? If its a lot of lag they have some mods to reduce clutter from all the leathers clothing to just regular clothing
I use "Masterwork-df" mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98196.0   

It seems to have several items optimizations, including leather.

Have 100 dwarfs and 5 year old fortress.

FPS jumps between 60-120 depending on a year period and caravans\invaders. Have used dfhack in order to remove mud, blood, snow and etc. but it did not improve the fps. I run the game on ssd(solid-state drive) and the game uses only 13-15% of my CPU, so it is obvious for me that the problem is in the game not using more than 1 gb of ram. However I might be wrong.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:26 pm »

RAM capacity has no influence on FPS.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »

If DF was truly unable to use more than 1GB, then you would see the game crashing the instant it tried - the fact that it isn't simply means that it hasn't needed to use that much RAM yet.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vikmgn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »

If DF was truly unable to use more than 1GB, then you would see the game crashing the instant it tried - the fact that it isn't simply means that it hasn't needed to use that much RAM yet.
Yeah, just strange to see that the game ram usage in my case never exceeds 1 gb, anyways thanks to everyone.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »

I'll bet your processor has 4 Physical cores Hyperthreaded (core partitions) to 8 Logical cores. DF's single-thread process can only use one logical core for it processor intensive work so that's 12.5% of the CPU. I have a shitty Gateway computer where it seems you can't disable hyperthreading without a custom BIOS so I gave up on that way back. But if you could you might see some benefit from having and entire core set aside for DF instead of half of one. I don't really know, most responses I got when I was looking into it were just, "disabling hyperthreading is stupid."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »

Advanced worldgen can make DF exceed 2GB trivially.

More than a few hundred MB during normal gameplay is unusual for most embarks.

The sad reality is there are remarkably few games that are multi-threaded, compared with the thousands of games stretching back to the 70's that are single-threaded.  It is going to take many years before multi-threaded is standard, expected, and bug-free.  I can replicate thread mutex-lock crashes on at least two of my computers, and this is since 2010.  Multi-threaded applications are NOT stable and mature technology, when compared with the stability of single threaded applications.  In fact, the only genre of computer games I know of that are under any pressure to be multi-threaded are MMO's, due to most people trying to run the game without sufficient 3D acceleration, and MMO developers making bonehead moves like offloading rendering tasks to the CPU instead of the GPU.
<rant> Seriously.  Rift was artificially CPU bound and limited to 30fps.  Why?  The developers didn't want to "force" players to have a "top end" 3D accelerator to play the game.  Great.  Good job.  Way to step back over 10 years in innovation with that one single stupid decision! And people wonder why I gave up on MMO's? </rant>

I've tried to explain this to my relatives who buy i7's, complain about heat/noise/power consumption, and then use the computer for exactly one task (surfing).
If you plan on running 8 VM's, sure, buy an i7.  Otherwise, buy the cheapest possible processor you can find, and it'll still be faster than anything the average user could possibly need 99.9% of the time.  Anything more is just a waste of heat/power, imho.