Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 538991 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Democratic People's Highlander Republic of Korea [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #3165 on: September 11, 2014, 01:18:20 pm »

Well, you know how Europe is less extreme then the other continents. Belarus is just less exciting then North Korea.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pray The Juche Away [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #3166 on: September 11, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

I'm sure that the sources which are read by dear comrade Owlbread are more reliable than mine, though.

Forgive me for my cheekiness, but I should say that as Fniff has put it - by European standards Belaus is our North Korea.

I love how indignant you get when anyone ever makes an unfair comparison of Belarus, yet you regularly compare the West to Nazi Germany. Although I must say there's been less of that recently and I thank you for your restraint.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:51:20 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

Well, it's still an unfair comparison. It's like saying that Greece is Europe's Zimbabwe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:44 pm »

Well, it's still an unfair comparison. It's like saying that Greece is Europe's Zimbabwe.
This is just asking to be used...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:08 pm »

The most North Korean-like country in the former USSR and probably the whole of Eurasia was Turkmenistan under the rule of Saparmurat Niyazov, also known as "Turkmenbashi". He was well known for his highly eccentric personal decrees, intensive monument building in the capital Ashgabat financed with money from oil and gas exports and a very ridiculous cult of personality. When Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow became President of Turkmenistan after Niyazov's death, the country became a run-of-the-mill Central Asian authoritarian state, but it's still pretty much isolated.

EDIT: A typical Turkmenistani TV news bulletin from June 2014
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:11:33 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:14 pm »

Turkmenistan is not in europe though.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 11, 2014, 07:04:11 pm »

The most North Korean-like country in the former USSR and probably the whole of Eurasia was Turkmenistan under the rule of Saparmurat Niyazov, also known as "Turkmenbashi". He was well known for his highly eccentric personal decrees, intensive monument building in the capital Ashgabat financed with money from oil and gas exports and a very ridiculous cult of personality. When Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow became President of Turkmenistan after Niyazov's death, the country became a run-of-the-mill Central Asian authoritarian state, but it's still pretty much isolated.

EDIT: A typical Turkmenistani TV news bulletin from June 2014

That guy was about as close to Tropico's own El Presidente as anyone in real life can get.

Edit: Except maybe the bunker guy from Albania.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:13:45 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 11, 2014, 07:06:28 pm »

I think the funniest story about Turkmenbashi for me was either the one where he renamed bread after his mother, or when he decreed that an ice palace be built in Ashgabat (which is in the middle of the desert), and after the plans to build the ice palace fell through due to the obvious reasons he decided to settle on a large ice rink instead.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »

And then there was his book -- which replaced everything from school textbooks to first aid manuals and which he demanded be treated on par with the Quran. When mosques refused, their imams were jailed and the mosques bulldozed.

Oh, and he outlawed gold teeth and lip-syncing. So he did have THAT going for him.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »

Yep, he wrote a book he demanded everyone read... which he wrote despite the fact he couldn't read.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3175 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:50 am »

A typical Turkmenistani TV news bulletin from June 2014
At first I thought I was just watching some typical, kitsch-y intro not unusual for any state-sponsored TV channel.

Then the madness starts at 1:35.

WHY IS EVERYONE HOLDING A BOOK

WHY IS EVERYONE DOING THE SAME EXACT POSE AS THE GUY BEFORE

WHY IS EVERYONE STANDING IN FRONT OF EITHER SOME JUMBO REGIONAL PICTURE OR PICTURE OF BELOVED LEADER

WHAT EPISODE OF MONTHY PYTHON IS THIS AND WHY DON'T I REMEMBER EVER SEEING IT

Except maybe the bunker guy from Albania.
I quite like this description of dear comrade Hoxha.
I like it a lot.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:53 am »

I've just seen on the NYTimes website that North Korean TV annouced the Dear Leader "isn't feeling well".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:46 am »

Oh gods it's happening isn't it?

He's undergoing surgery to become the mega-Kim.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:58 am »

I've just seen on the NYTimes website that North Korean TV annouced the Dear Leader "isn't feeling well".

Could just be a cold or a stomach bug.

Okay, it's more than that because whatever it is, it's bad enough to force him to not attend a major state meeting and hasn't been seen in public for at least three weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/26/world/asia/north-korea-kim-absent/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Inb4 he dies and his wife/fiance becomes queen regent because his child and heir is still a baby.

Yes, I just said queen regent. The Kim dynasty is a hereditary monarchy in all but name.

Although, I don't know how legitimate his heir is viewed over there and it doesn't seem like his fiance would be the type to handle the reigns of the government. More likely what will happen is some sort of military coup and chaos.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:28:45 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 341