Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shells and Strange Moods  (Read 2084 times)

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
Shells and Strange Moods
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:45 pm »

Okay having a current strange mood in my fortress and I'm trying to resolve it. Only problem is the dorf in question requires shells and I have absolutely no turtles on my map. Is there another route to get shells that I'm missing or will this require a temporary game mod to get the shells. I'm going to try and hope that the mood holds out until spring with the stream thaws so that I can try and capture some mussels. But is there another way to get what I'm looking for?
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Shells and Strange Moods
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »

you'll need to thaw the river, as you said.  otherwise, i'd put war animals near the dwarf.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »

you'll need to thaw the river, as you said.  otherwise, i'd put war animals near the dwarf.

Yes that's what I'm waiting on right now. Luckily 3/4s of the river only freezes for a short period of time. I've locked the doors where the dorf is at to minimize damages. Downside this just had to happen to my medical dorf.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:30 am »

giant snails have shells. Also, I modded chitin to be "shell" as well, to make all the bugs useful
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:02 am »

Fish in the caverns?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:16:04 am »

Only if that has been fixed. I've never had a cave fish caught on site yet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:33 am »

A while ago, I had a mood require shells and set to fishing underground and caught nothing. Later on, I ran water right to the edge of the map to feed a well there, and allowed Urist McSlowpoke to go fish to build her Agility without me or her having to do anything. I was expecting her to catch nothing, but she started getting pond turtles. Checking the wiki for pond turtles right now, they appear to be of the aquifer turtle subspecies, which is pretty neat for a map with no aquifer.

Said well was very nearly below a surface pool that had earlier yielded nothing. I couldn't tell you whether it was the same biome or not, or whether that would even be relevant.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »

aquifer turtle subspecies, which is pretty neat for a map with no aquifer.
There's no such thing as an "aquifer turtle" - it's a "non-feature water source" turtle, which means it will show up in any pool of water which is not connected to a river or cavern.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the D-rated part of the pond turtle entry. If my map has 'aquifer turtles' despite having no aquifer, then there is a labelling issue here that should be pointed out.

Incidentally, this means that you can get shells for moods on any map with water so long as the water to be fished is physically separated from the body of water it came from, yes?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 05:04:07 pm »

It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the D-rated part of the pond turtle entry. If my map has 'aquifer turtles' despite having no aquifer, then there is a labelling issue here that should be pointed out.
I generally don't get information from the wiki (if anything, the wiki gets its information from me), so I wasn't aware of that bit.

Incidentally, this means that you can get shells for moods on any map with water so long as the water to be fished is physically separated from the body of water it came from, yes?
It doesn't even have to be physically separated - it should be enough to channel out a tile next to a river and then make sure your dwarves are fishing from that specific tile (instead of from the river).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

Well I set a dorf to trap fish...this sadly didn't land me any mussels like I was hoping. I am going to repeat that experiment on one of the ponds soon as they thaw out. Sadly the moody dorf already went melancholic so there's no point rescuing it but I want to get a nice little stock of shells for any other potential moods. 

As for the modding raws. I tried to mod teeth so that they could be used in replacement as shells but I don't think I did it right. Could someone explain to me how to mod the raws to do that in case I have to use that method later.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:18:53 am »

If I remember correctly you add the tag [SHELL] to one of the entries in material_template_default.  Most people add it to the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF_TEMPLATE] section since you are guaranteed hooves from many common domestic animals.  I would add it right after the [HORN] tag but it probably does not matter where it is and again as far as I know it does not matter if you have both [SHELL] and [HORN] on a body part.  It has been a while since I have done this modification so...yeah.

Also this does not affect hooves in a stockpile but it should affect them if you butcher a creature you already have wandering about.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:40:21 am »

If I remember correctly you add the tag [SHELL] to one of the entries in material_template_default.  Most people add it to the [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF_TEMPLATE] section since you are guaranteed hooves from many common domestic animals.  I would add it right after the [HORN] tag but it probably does not matter where it is and again as far as I know it does not matter if you have both [SHELL] and [HORN] on a body part.  It has been a while since I have done this modification so...yeah.

Also this does not affect hooves in a stockpile but it should affect them if you butcher a creature you already have wandering about.

I shall try this again then as I just had ANOTHER dorf ask for shells for it's strange mood. I ctrl-alt-del killed the game so that I can mod it without messing around.

Off topic though. I seem to have plenty of strange things that happen in my forts when they get to a good size. Food stockpiles not using pots/barrels even if there's an abundance of them and barrels are allowed in stockpiles. Dorfs not harvesting in a timely fashion. Dorfs not hauling meat into a barrel in a timely fashion. Dorfs not storing meat/fish in barrels/pots. Also my most recent Archer dorfs just standing around for archery practice and not going to the rebuilt twice archery range. I don't know if this is a problem a lot of people have but seems to happen to me alot in later games.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:18 am »

I shall try this again then as I just had ANOTHER dorf ask for shells for it's strange mood. I ctrl-alt-del killed the game so that I can mod it without messing up the game.

Off topic though. I seem to have plenty of strange things that happen in my forts when they get to a good size. Food stockpiles not using pots/barrels even if there's an abundance of them and barrels are allowed in stockpiles. Dorfs not harvesting in a timely fashion. Dorfs not hauling meat into a barrel in a timely fashion. Dorfs not storing meat/fish in barrels/pots. Also my most recent Archer dorfs just standing around for archery practice and not going to the rebuilt twice archery range. I don't know if this is a problem a lot of people have but seems to happen to me alot in later games.