Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: i'm a little worried  (Read 4095 times)

imlovinit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i'm a little worried
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »

So the museum of modern art is going to have a part on dwarf fortress cool but am i the only one that is kinda worried about the effect that could haveon the fanbase.
now dont get me wrong i LOVE the idea of dwarf fortress getting more fans that's what it has deserved since day 1. but what if the dwarf fortress community just get's filled with trolls i mean the dwarf fortress community is the greatest gaming community out there when you ask a question the community (thats us) will help we will laugh at great failures and celebrate great victories all whilst saying inside jokes (boatmurdered lol) but with so many other community's out there. one way or the other this community gonna change.
I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: i'm a little worried
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »

Anyone else spot plenty of irony here?
This is a blank sig.

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »

Boatmurdered lol. Not to mention at least 90% of us are goons and/or /b/tards.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »

escaped lunatic worried about the changing fanbase... that's cute~

Boatmurdered lol. Not to mention at least 90% of us are goons and/or /b/tards.
I'll have you know I'm an ex-/b/tard.  Completely reformed and now 40% less crazy.
Nom nom nom

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:45:20 pm »

I'm about as worried as a dwarf fighting a one humped camel hair.

Boatmurdered, lol.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress community is already a medley of different fandoms. There's bronies and DnD people and Homestucks and w/e. It's kinda weird to worry about it, though- I think anyone who likes the game should feel welcome. That said, I'm not a very active member of the forums, so I may not have a good grasp on the social fabric here.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:24 pm »

Well, the social fabirc is far, far more relaxed here than on many internet forums. I doubt that'd change a whole lot, as most people who have an interest in the game, and would thus have some explicit reason to post here, are equally relaxed with it being a single-player game where none of us are actually competing.

Unless you're competing to get your ideas shoved down the development tube; the suggestions forum is probably one of the least habitable environments here, because everyone feels the need to ensure their opinion is yelled the loudest for the longest period of time, and that they need to meticulously deconstruct others' ideas.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

imlovinit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »

yeah you guys are probly right im probobly over reacting i was just worried of 10 year old kids being like "its to hard" or "the graphics suck" not as much of the average troll p.s boatmurdered lol
I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:30:26 am »

Well, I hardly think that people aware of exhibits at the museum of modern art and people who spend their days trolling internet forums have much overlap, so no danger there. 

As for individuals showing up to say "THES GRAFIX SUK!" the obvious response is "INDEED THEY DO." because the graphics do in fact suck.  Nobody plays DF for the gorgeous visuals it produces, people play dwarf fortress because it is a challenge and adventure and a sandbox that never stops surprising you.  If some people decide to shun it because of how it looks, it is their decision to make; generally the community seems to understand that it isn't a game for everybody. 

The forum will always return to an equilibrium where the majority of posters are people who genuinely enjoy the game, and it seems that for the most part such people are very civil. 
where is up?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 06:54:43 am »

yeah you guys are probly right im probobly over reacting i was just worried of 10 year old kids being like "its to hard" or "the graphics suck" not as much of the average troll p.s boatmurdered lol
Such people are unlikely to stick around. The worst we might get are people who don't use proper capitalization and punctuation, or even use "lol" unironically. But I don't think that would necessarily be a result of DF being showed in NYMoMA. I think most fans thereof are likely perfectly respectable people.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:10:42 pm »

"Boatmurdered lol" is going to become a meme now, isn't it?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »

Mostly probably just going to be the upper class or hipsters if it is anyone.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »

Such people are unlikely to stick around. The worst we might get are people who don't use proper capitalization and punctuation, or even use "lol" unironically. But I don't think that would necessarily be a result of DF being showed in NYMoMA. I think most fans thereof are likely perfectly respectable people.
+1. Everything you just said. This is awesomeness.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »

The worst we might get are people who don't use proper capitalization and punctuation, or even use "lol" unironically.

That is the best sarcastic quip I've seen in a while. Bravo.

deve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »

As for individuals showing up to say "THES GRAFIX SUK!" the obvious response is "INDEED THEY DO." because the graphics do in fact suck.

Don't say this to any hardcore rougelike fans. There are people who think Unicode graphics are better than anything else out there.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization
Pages: [1] 2 3