Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Knox's Second Denied: A Supernatural Murder Mystery RTD  (Read 1846 times)

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Knox's Second Denied: A Supernatural Murder Mystery RTD
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:05:58 am »

"All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course. To solve a detective problem by such means would be like winning a race on the river by the use of a concealed motor - engine. And here I venture to think there is a limitation about Mr. Chesterton's Father Brown stories. He nearly always tries to put us off the scent by suggesting that the crime must have been done by magic; and we know that he is too good a sportsman to fall back upon such a solution. Consequently, although we seldom guess the answer to his riddles, we usually miss the thrill of having suspected the wrong person."
-Knox's Second, Knox's Decalogue

What the hell is this?
This is Knox's Second Denied, a supernatural murder mystery survival horror RTD. As you can expect by the title, Knox's Second will be denied.

A supernatural mystery? Jinkies!
Yes, but it's a fair deal darker than Scooby Doo. Think Agatha Christie meets H.P. Lovecraft, and you'll have a rough understanding of where this is going.

So, what's this Knox's Second thingy that's being denied?
During the Golden Age of Detective Fiction, the author Ronald Knox created his Decalogue, which was a collection of ten rules that every detective novel should follow. His second rule, which is quoted at the top of the page, explicitly states that no mystery should have magic. So, screw you Knox, I'm having a magical mystery, and there's nothing you can do about it, because you're dead! Ahahahahahahahaha!!!! Ahem... yeah.

How does this game work?
It's beautifully simple. Eight people sign up, and one of them is randomly selected to be some sort of supernatural killing machine. All of them are thrown into a single setting, and then the fun begins. All actions in this game are PMed, to help keep things mysterious, and at the end of a mystery, I'll write a full story for everyone, as well as including everyone's actions so that everyone can see all sides of the story and piece things together. So don't expect to see all that much action on this thread; it's more of an announcement board.

This sounds pretty cool. I'll give it a shot!
Excellent. I already have the full eight players for our current story, but feel free to reserve a spot. All you really have to do is write reserve, because the setting will change for each story, and that will change a multitude of factors in the signups.

Well then, what's the first story?
I'll just give an outline, so that you all have plenty of room for backstories. When I write the full story, everything will be more detailed.
It is the autumn of the year 1986, in Aureli Manor, the ancient mansion in which the players reside, some as masters, some as servants, and perhaps even some as guests. Everything was perfectly fine and happy until things started going missing. First watches and jewelry, but now... even people have begun to disappear. Many who didn't vanish have fled, and only eight people feel the need to stay in the manor, for whatever their reasons may be. These people are you.

Sheet (for those in this story):
Name:
Description:
Reason for coming to Aureli:
Reason for staying in Aureli:
Talent/Skill:

Well, go ahead and post your sheets. Other than seeing who's gone missing or been found dead, this is mostly what you'll be using this thread for, because PMs are everything here. And for spectators, while it may not be fun to watch at first, it'll make the end of the round much more interesting, when you suddenly see what gears have been turning this whole time. Although most of this is pretty experimental. Okay, really experimental. But it's worth a shot!

Current Players:
Aseaheru as Bob Bobson, the haggis-hunting chef
Kadzar as Greg Cuthbert, the austere archaeologist
Unholy_Pariah as Krowe, the ghastly gravedigger
superBlast as Gerald Houst, the supreme servant
Xantalos as Karvov Luktin, the paranormal professor
Greenstarfanatic as Alexandra Burmington, the master thief
Persus13 as Delilah Chase, the brown-haired bibliophile.
GreatWyrmGold as Zachary Issac Tybalt, the stealthy stranger

Waitlist:
AKingsQuest
+!!scientist!!+
stefmor90
Xanmyral
borno
scapheap
Harry Baldman
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:01:15 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Knox's Second Denied: A Supernatural Murder Mystery RTD
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:18:26 am »

Hurhuehue.
Sheet tommorow.
How do we make a sheet, exactly? Any specifics?
Never mind derp.

Name: Karvov Luktin
Description: A tall, pale man, with large grey eyes, pale, thinning hair, and long hands and fingers, all immaculately groomed. Wears the typical attire of a university professor. Has no facial hair whatsoever.
Reason for coming to Aureli: He was curious about the age and particular condition of it, a perfect match for mansions that were revealed to be haunted.
Reason for staying: Too curious and/or not scared to go.
Talent/Skill: Despite being a university professor, he moves exceptionally quietly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:34:27 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:37 am »

I'll knock myself a reserved spot, if that's alright.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:09 am »

Name: Krowe
Description: Krowe is heavily muscled and almost 7 feet tall with pale skin and dark brown hair, his hazel eyes show no emotion and he instills a sense of foreboding in those around him.
Reason for coming to Aureli: looking for work
Reason for staying in Aureli: got work as a gravedigger
Talent/Skill: Affinity - shovels
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:44:35 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:01:55 am »

Name: Gerald Houst
Description: An old man in a butler's uniform. Though he looks old he's still quite tough and sturdy. He he wasn't wrinkly and had grey hair, you could swear he's in his mid-twenties.
Reason for coming to Aureli: Gerald came to the mansion about 20 years ago. Not much is known about him from before he became a butler at Aureli Manor, but he was a hard worker and an excellent butler. He soon became the head butler (after the previous one retired) around the mansion. He dealt with everything that kept the mansion running from dealing with paperwork to managing the staff on top of waiting on his master's child's every need.
Reason for staying in Aureli: (Will change this depending if anyone takes the role of being the master of the mansion or the master's descendant) After the master and his only descendant vanished, he continued his butler duties while finding out what happened to them. Despite that most of the people left the mansion by now, he says he'll never neglect his butler duties, until the master and his descendant has been found. And if anything happens to them, he'll track down whoever is responsible.
Talent/Skill: Jack of all trades. Due to being a very efficient butler, he has skills in just about everything. In preparation for whatever his master may need.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:31:49 pm by superBlast »
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:11 am »

I will make my sheet later, I'm in the wait list after all.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:27:45 am »

Forgot to say this in your other thread, but I'd like to wait list.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

WOOHOHOHOOLOLOLOLOLHOLOL

Name: Alexandra Burmington
Description: What looks like a normal business woman, with red hair and long legs, and who claims to be here to pay the owner of the house back some money she loaned from him, is really the greatest cat-burglar this side of the southern states! When around other people, she wears a ruby dress that pools at the floor, but when she's alone, she changes into her black...burglar...suit(Yeah, let's call it that...). She has a few gadgets to help her on her quest, but nothing special. A grappling hook, a Smoke pill packet, and a few other things, just in case.
Reason for coming to Aureli: The owner of the house really owes HER money, and she's here to rob him blind for it!
Reason for staying in Aureli: She still hasn't figured out the combination to the vault in the back.
Talent/Skill: Hiding in the Shadows: When in total darkness, she has a +3 AGAINST being seen. Partial darkness, a +2, and whenever her black suit is on, she has a +1.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »

I'll reserve for the next story.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »

I suppose I'll reserve for the next story as well. Not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I do not know of any other thread to do this in.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:20:07 pm »

Name: Delilah Chase
Description: A tall brown-haired lady.
Reason for coming to Aureli: Owns part of the house due to messy lawsuit.
Reason for staying in Aureli: It is her home
Talent/Skill: She loves books and knows every nook and cranny of the library. Feels more confidant there.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:19 pm »

Bob Bobsson
Male
Short, muscular very hairy angry man.
Heard about haggis being here
Trying to teach the cook how to cook haggis
strong
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »

Name: Greg Cuthbert
Description: Wears a brownish coat, thick-rimmed glasses, and sports medium-length hair that goes everywhere
Reason for coming to Aureli: He believes that somewhere in this mansion there exists a sword that was forged in Atlantis and passed down through the owner's family line
Reason for staying in Aureli: he hasn't found the sword yet, probably because it may or may not actually exist
Talent/Skill: Expert on pseudoarchaeology and conspiracy theories

Sorry I'm late, I brought my dog back form the vet earlier and had to observe and medicate him, among other things.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »

Name: Greg Cuthbert
Description: Wears a brownish coat, thick-rimmed glasses, and sports medium-length hair that goes everywhere
Reason for coming to Aureli: He believes that somewhere in this mansion there exists a sword that was forged in Atlantis and passed down through the owner's family line
Reason for staying in Aureli: he hasn't found the sword yet, probably because it may or may not actually exist
Talent/Skill: Expert on pseudoarchaeology and conspiracy theories

Sorry I'm late, I brought my dog back form the vet earlier and had to observe and medicate him, among other things.

Awww, is he okay?

Also, maybe the sword's in the vault I'm trying to open.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »

Yeah, he just went in for some much needed dental work. He ended up having 12 teeth removed.

And, yeah, assuming the sword exists, that's a prime possibility.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: [1] 2