Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think about this? Read first post.

I want it.
- 7 (87.5%)
I don't want it.
- 1 (12.5%)
Other(Post below).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Poll: Supports inside structures to stop them from collapsing when falling.  (Read 743 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So first I want to say I will try not to have a bias to either side. I kind of already do. I want it to be implemented, but if it cannot be implemented easily or isn't for a long while. Then I am okay with that. So if you drop a hollowed out building made of natural stone or walls and floors into anything it will deconstruct if walls or collapse if natural. Crushing or splatter dwarfs in the process.

So what if we had special supports, or a certain building that you could place to stop this from happening and then have subs and underwater structures. We can have underwater structures as of now but this could open up new building opportunities and methods. We could have several supports that hold the structures together, or a building that you can use to do it. You could designate which blocks and tiles that are part of the structure and it would act as one piece and keep dwarfs alive when dropping into liquids. Another option could be to designate the tiles with the d key and then dwarfs would add non visible supports to the tiles.

This all sounds like it probably would be hard to code so I again am fine if it is never implemented. Should I add any other options to the poll? What do you think about this?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sooo, basically, do I understand it correctly in that you want to be able to drop constructions into water, say a river, without them collapsing? And that way more easily be able to build underwater constructions? Dropping a whole building without it breaking feels a bit farfetched, but as far as the general idea goes this is planned ^^

"Req583, REWALLING IN WATER, (Future): You should be able to drop some simple constructions down into the water, as long as it's reasonable."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

This is planned. Supports are already in the game, and the current cave-in code is a nasty little placeholder. The 2D versions had any room larger than 8x8 require supports.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Also planned are vehicles (such as boats), which are much more complex, but the code for which would include having large, unsupported constructs, which would naturally give players some capacity to do something like this as a side-effect.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

The 2D versions had any room larger than 8x8 require supports.
Nitpick: 6x6.

You could also have 6x60 or 60x6 spaces, and criss-cross them to the point of having a massive room with spaced natural stone columns.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Technically, I believe the real measure was that every tile would have to find something that would provide support within 3 tiles, not counting the space, itself.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare