Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your most badass Dwarves?  (Read 2970 times)

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most badass Dwarves?
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »

We've all had dopey, suicidal, manic-depressive lunatics.

But what about those rare Dwarves that are intelligent, hard-to-kill, utterly determined and/or even just plain badass?

I have a few on this embark. Had my first hardcore Goblin siege. Traps killed 20 Goblins and their rat steeds, as well as both leading Pikemasters. However, the other 60 Giant Rats and their riders (all Hammermen) just sat in wait, hoping to starve me out.

Hoping to break the stalemate, I sent out my military. 9 Dwarves, 3 of whom were Spearmasters, the others were "Professionals" with varied weapons. All knock-off Copper gear.

Good troops, but with that shoddy gear and against those numbers? I felt foolish as my soldiers marched out to meet the enemy...and then spent the next 10 minutes watching with grim satisfaction as my heroes laid a huge smackdown on them all with no Dwarven casualties!

The highlights included my Militia Captain ("Dastot Mebzuthilrom") charging at a Giant Rat, decapitating it, slitting it's rider's throat with his sword and then impaling a second Rat straight through the head as it attacked. Additionally, my Marksdwarves ran out of ammo...and spent the rest of the battle beating Giant Rats to death with their crossbows. Immense :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:48:13 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most badass Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »

I had a very military oriented fort with a axelord, spearmaster, swordmaster and a hammerlord in a teachers position training more legendary soliders. After some years I was getting more legendary soliders than I needed so I dug deeper and created The suicide squad. I sent two soliders to the basement and when they started fighting I realized that one of them didn't have a weapon. His combatreport was awsome. He was facing a bunch of snow and fire demons and he was blocking everything they threw at him. After killing those demons a mayflybrute showed up and after a long duel he finally dodged into the clowntent and fell to his death.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »

I once had a macedwarf, who even though he had a missing arm and leg, killed many goblins.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »

A forgotten beast composed of some sort of crystal came up from the caverns. My elite axeman squad was sent to kill it, and failed miserably. I drafted every civillian with weapon skills, armed them up with whatever I could find, and sent them at the beast. They all died. Finally, I sent the dwarves who were about to be purged, the ones with absolutely no needed skills. With the exception of one, they all died. That one dwarf who lived bisected the forgotten beast with one fucking punch.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:58 pm »

This isn't really that great. But I recently had a cave in that killed one dwarf injured several others and broke the lower of another. She was the closest to the cave in other than the dwarf who died. 6 months later she is crawling around mining away. I also had a baby that killed a centaur/minitaur can't remember which.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:53:05 pm »

The hunter from my first successful fort. One of three survivors of the original seven colonists. Spent the first year wiping out the ostrich and rhino population (and forcing the butcher and tanner to work double shifts), then took over leadership of the militia when the first nasties started to show up and did so well in that role that I was sometimes tempted to disband the rest of the militia and let him handle things solo. I ended up building him a sniper roost (small tower with fortifications) overlooking the most likely approach route to my fort and left him up there to take out entire ambushes by himself. He's also notable for killing batman. Well, a batman, anyway. The only one I've ever seen, who also happened to be a necromancer. Yes, that can happen.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »

Recently on a relatively fresh embark my fortress got intruded by a giant wolverine who killed two of my dwarves. He ended up hanging out at my stockpile and as my mason was going to get some food he ran right into him. Rather than get eviscerated like I expected him to, my mason ended up punching the giant badger square in the jaw knocking all of his teeth out! They proceeded to beat on each other for the next couple of minutes until my woodcutter came in and finished the job.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 02:12:59 am »

He's also notable for killing batman. Well, a batman, anyway. The only one I've ever seen, who also happened to be a necromancer. Yes, that can happen.

You just made me think of Batman as a necromancer, and that's pretty much the scariest thing imaginable.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:25:57 am »

Dauros, The Old Legend (Named for the god of order in Majesty of course.)

Rarely have i seen a dwarf dispatch eldritch abominations and outrun fleeing kobolds just to bash all the teeth out of their head.

Otherwise visit Spearbreakers to meet Colonel Fischer Strifefulrope, The Blanketed Convent
-Fortress champion
-Killed several nasty monsters including noxious gas spewing FBs, a hive king, and two minotaurs in melee combat
-Fell into a pond with no swimming skill, heavy armor, and managed to not die.
-Practitioner of sticking one's head in a ravenous demon-thing's chest mouth to bite out all of its teeth.

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:30:51 am »

Lokum Othalath, the legendary hammerlord capable of decapitating a forgotten beast made of platinum. With a crossbow.

WannabeSpartan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • "Friendly neighborhood spartan"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:20 am »

'Bane of Badgers' Ingiz Silentlessaxe

In the dwarven fortress of Scaldhammer, Ingiz Silentlessaxe wrestled and killed a giant-badger-man. I immediately made a shrine in his name.

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
     -Nikola Tesla

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

My most badass dwarf was Shedim Shadowflame, a massively scarred, legendary +5 swordman in full adamantium, who single-handly crushed in blood and vomit a siege of 30+ gobos. Without his shield because of a missing arm (at that time I didn't know there was such things as "training" or "sparring" : improvement came exclusively from the blood way).

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »

Derpislava Sodelakun, speardwarf. She was protecting Autumnalshield's gates from 100+ zombies to let everyone (fisherdwarves, hunters...) in. Without any weapon because there was no time fo dat. She has killed 30 zombies by smashing their skulls open with... A wooden shield.
*clap clap clap*
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

A couple from my long-running 31.25 fort:

Aban Gearedwild (The Granite World of Minds)
Started out a basic hammerdwarf given the standard substandard training of my fortress.  He was part of my pathetic military when I faced my first titan -- Gurmus, a one-eyed mouse with a knobby shell and fire breath.  While charging my fort, Gurmus dove into a murky pool that my walls straddled.  Four of my ill-trained, ill-equipped hammerdwarves followed him into that watery pit, and only one, Aban, emerged having slain the Titan.  He lost his right hand in that battle, but decided that hospitals were for sissies and he was always more of a lefty anyway.   The world passes into the Age of Legends on the next 1 Granite.

Aban went on to make an artifact, bash ambushes/sieges to bits, kill a couple forgotten beasts in a boredom-dispelling attempt to unseal the caverns (4 FBs died in total, bum rushing the breach, but I couldn't really consider the caverns claimed and had to lock it back up.).  By this point he was inexplicably about twice as fast as the rest of the military, and it showed when he walked up to a cyclops and killed it in two hits (one to the leg, knocking it down, and one to the head that was fatal) before it got more than halfway towards my fort or any other soldiers arrived.

Tulon Rhymewheel (The Spiral of Furnaces)
Tulon was the first dwarf who really caught my notice as a character with something of a story.  She was drafted along with her whole migrant wave into a marksdwarf squad upon arrival, and when the caverns were first opened, lost her lover (same wave immigrant, same squad) to a particularly nasty cave fish man... she broke every bone in that creature's body by beating it with her crossbow until another dwarf finally put the sucker out of its misery and stole the kill.  I thought that was cool enough, but a couple years later I'm under perpetual siege (turtled) and notice the mayor is mandating Bolts, fittingly enough... and guess who the mayor is!  Her little military junta was short-lived as another dwarf took mayorship shortly after we finally broke the siege.  When the choice to have a baron rolled around, I named Tulon because she had been my best mayor so far.  The world passed into the age of legends on 1 Granite, literally a day after the liaison left and Tulon was promoted to Baroness.  Knowing the mechanics now, Aban gets the credit for the age change, but really...

As a noble, she still fought, and earned herself a title for shooting goblins dead.  She ALSO had an unfortunate love of aluminum that I couldn't provide (my home civ had no access to it) and sentenced a few dwarves to prison -- aka dehydration in my ill-designed jail -- over that.  Whoops.  Still, badass stuff kept happening around her, so I never arranged an accident and we eventually got some aluminum from human caravans.  Eventually, the "king arrived"... but no actual monarch showed.  Turns out my civ didn't have one left.  So, that made duchess Tulon the highest authority in the land, too.  Interestingly, at this point her only friends were Aban, the dwarf that stole her murderous cave fish man kill, and a couple other legendary champions of the fortress.

That's about where I left the fort -- It's still alive, I've been waiting to go back to it when I've devised a suitably fitting end.  Whatever happens there, I have a distinct feeling Tulon and Aban will be alive at the end, when the abandon comes.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »

Derpislava Sodelakun, speardwarf. She was protecting Autumnalshield's gates from 100+ zombies to let everyone (fisherdwarves, hunters...) in. Without any weapon because there was no time fo dat. She has killed 30 zombies by smashing their skulls open with... A wooden shield.
*clap clap clap*

Second cousin to Captain America?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2