Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I had an unfortunate cave in.  (Read 3447 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had an unfortunate cave in.
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

So I was digging out a aqueduct/underground water storage and my dwarfs had to cause a cave in when they were digging out the second floor. I have never had this problem before. 1 dwarf died. several other were bruised up. One had a two smashed in. Another broke his right hand. But the last one broke her lower spine. Will she ever recover or be able to walk again. Will she eventually pick up a crutch? Also is there a way other than designating channels row by row to stop the dwarfs from causing cave ins?

I did an experiment and designated the whole area to be channeled and 1 minute later they caused 3 more cave ins. I savescummed afterwords. I just flooded the tank to avoid more problems. For extra fun I left the dead dwarf in there and didn't add a drain.

So will the dwarf with the broken lower spine recover and grab a crutch?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I had an unfortunate cave in.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »

Dorfs, like humans, do not recover from nervous system damage.  She will never walk again as a dorf, though that doesn't necessarily mean she won't work.  Some of the more hardcore dorfs will opt to crawl everywhere and still work their asses off.

This doesn't necessarily mean she can't ever recover.  When lycanthropes change forms with the full moon, they heal completely.  This includes resetting hunger and thirst, and restoring all damaged or lost body parts to their whole, unblemished state.  If you can get this dorf bitten by a weresomething without killing her completely, and you can contain her rampages when the full moon comes, you can regenerate her.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:50 pm »

So the question remains, can (s)he use crutches? I think you need 1 working leg for that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:37 pm »

I think you're right about that.  I'm also glad Toady hasn't implemented shitting and pissing dorfs.  A nervous system that terminates at the lower spine comes with problems beyond just no working legs.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

I'm not a good CMD so I'll just stick to the mining question :-)

Also is there a way other than designating channels row by row to stop the dwarfs from causing cave ins?

A cave in is caused by a floor or wall becoming unconnected and falling down.

If you channel down from above you should be able to designate floor by floor. However, if you are channeling "upwards", eg there is empty space below where you are channeling, this is not possible.

In the "magma piston" guides they advise digging instead of channeling so you have a number of floors left over, and then causing a controlled cave in of the top floor which will take out all the other floors. 

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »

i use ramps or digging it one level at a time. but i smooth everything when i do that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:43 pm »

Personally when making a multi Z-level cistern I see no reason to remove the floor. Just dig the rooms as normal and then channel 1 or 2 tiles per room to act as drains to the next level. If you want your well to be directly above the cistern make sure you line all your holes up and you get all the benefits and a lot less hassle.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:33:46 pm »

If you've already dug both levels for a cistern, you must designate channeling in single strips. So if the stairs are in one corner, you designate the two sides not connected to it, then once those are dug, the next.

Code: [Select]
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX

HHHH
HXXX
HXXX
HXXX

X=Floor
H=Channel Designation

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »

So the question remains, can (s)he use crutches? I think you need 1 working leg for that
AFAIK you only need working arms to use crutches, regardless of the state of your legs. I seem to remember seeing dwarves hobbling around with a crutch in each leg just fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

ok. I already flooded it and its about half the size I wanted it but it works. I'll do that next time.

AFAIK you only need working arms to use crutches, regardless of the state of your legs. I seem to remember seeing dwarves hobbling around with a crutch in each leg just fine.
hopefully she will start running around with crutches. Dwarven crutch army.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:20 pm »

Just wanted to update this. I was checking up on the hospital and noticed she was gone. She started mining again. It says in the health panel that she cannot walk but it didn't say that she had nerve damage. Now her spine is only fractured but not broke. But she still can't walk. I'm not sure if she is on crutches it doesn't say anything about her having the crutchwalker skill. But it might be too early for that. She is moving slower than other dwarfs though.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »

not sure if she is on crutches

To find out, check her inventory - crutches will be listed.  Or, check her health history - if she was given a crutch by a doctor, it will be listed.  She is probably crawling around, though.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 03:43:44 am »

I've had two dwarfs with nervous damage to the lower spine, and they were never issued crutches and never walked again. If it says something like 'ability to stand lost' and there's no 'crutch needed' or treatment plan, the dwarf is paraplegic. Better give them a job where they don't need to move much, because they'll move at about 30% of their normal rate, forever. They'll also _work_ at that greatly reduced speed.

Incidentally, a 'broken' spine doesn't absolutely imply paralysis - sometimes, only the bones get broken but the spinal cord (the nervous tissue) remains intact. Dwarfs can have the bones of their upper or middle spine broken without dying from suffocation.