Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Platinum Forgotten Beast Tips  (Read 3286 times)

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Platinum Forgotten Beast Tips
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:08:06 am »

So recently a forgotten beast made of platinum appeared under my fort. How on earth do you kill something like that? Because I really can't think of anything.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum Forgotten Beast Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:38 am »

Cave-in Trap.  Kills anything.

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:44 am »

Cave-in Trap.  Kills anything.

Are there any specifics to how the cave in trap needs to be done? Because I don't wan't to drop an entire mountain on him and it only scratch him.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:37:49 am »

Arrange for a wall of natural stone to fall directly on top of him. He'll be erased from existence.  Don't do it with a constructed wall, that will just smack him with deconstructed wall parts.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:58 am »

IME, constructions work just fine for cave-in smashing. Got a demonic diplomat this way and built a suicide lever which delivered a very satisfying crunch by constructed wall in an adventure mode test. The message in both cases was a clear 'crushed to death', not deadly damage from falling rock block.

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:42:59 am »

Well the cave in plan failed (forgot about one errant piece of floor) but weirdly the beast seems incapable of actually hitting my soldiers has been fighting them for months now at a stalemate. At the currrent rate everyone is going to melt because of his extract.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:46:08 am by eliphas8 »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:59:08 am »

If it's taking that long to kill your soldiers, take advantage of its stillness.  Try the cave-in again and set it up right this time, or just seal the critter and the soldiers away forever with constructed walls.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:23 am »

I wonder if you split it in 10 parts and melt them, will you get a bar of ordinary platinum or "forgotten beast platinum"? And if so, how valuable will it be? I imagine it would be pretty cool to have an artifact FB platinum hammer.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:24:18 am »

Unfortunately, You can't. FB bodies are useless pieces of ("Forgotten beast platinum") That canno't be interacted with in any way.

They make nice throphies, though.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:38 am »

FB bodies are useless pieces of ("Forgotten beast platinum") that cannot be interacted with in any way.
No, I'm quite positive that body parts of metal creatures can be melted. On the top of Iron man wiki page there's a mention of that. If it works for iron man, it should work for FB. Still, I never tried it myself, so I can't be completely sure.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »

Don't do it with a constructed wall, that will just smack him with deconstructed wall parts.
I've never had a constructed cave-in fail to kill an FB. The collapsing floor comes in from two levels above the FB and the FB itself is constrained on all sides by wall, floor, ceiling, and bridge. There's no combat log or announcement for the death, just a collapse and a corpse.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:58 am »

FB bodies are useless pieces of ("Forgotten beast platinum") that cannot be interacted with in any way.
No, I'm quite positive that body parts of metal creatures can be melted. On the top of Iron man wiki page there's a mention of that. If it works for iron man, it should work for FB. Still, I never tried it myself, so I can't be completely sure.

The Iron Man monster becomes an Iron Statue item on death, which can be melted. It's a special case. All forgotten beasts become Forgotten Beast Corpses upon death, which are not valid meltable items.

As for solving the problem of a Forgotten Beast, Obsidian Traps works as well, though it requires that you have the ability to deploy both magma and water into a confined area containing the beast in fairly rapid succession. Killing beasts of any sort is easiest with bisection and decapitation, so use blade weapons, preferably swords, blunt weapons aren't very much help. If you can capture and tame giant spiders, then setting up a spider on a rope down a hall of cage traps and surrounded by traps leads to the FB becoming webbed on top of a cage trap, which is a condition that renders them vulnerable to capture in a cage, which is good fun in and of itself.

At this point though, you may want to cut your losses. Forgotten Beast poisoning is no joke, and letting those covered soldiers get back to the fort might be the end of them and the rest of your fort. It might be more merciful for all parties involved if you sealed them up and let them duke it out until the Beast dies or the Dwarves starve.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »

As for solving the problem of a Forgotten Beast, Obsidian Traps works as well, though it requires that you have the ability to deploy both magma and water into a confined area containing the beast in fairly rapid succession.
How about having the water pre-deployed into a pit that the FB has to path through? Then you'd have just the magma to drop in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 02:17:54 pm »

The Iron Man monster becomes an Iron Statue item on death, which can be melted. It's a special case. All forgotten beasts become Forgotten Beast Corpses upon death, which are not valid meltable items.
The article said the severed body parts are meltable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »

you can kill it by having a chunk of rock supported by a wooden post, it will attack it.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Building_destroyer
This have the info
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: [1] 2