Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you start?  (Read 3959 times)

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »

Unless having a planned theme, I just do 'Play Now'. This is because it seems that the more I over think my fortress, the quicker I get bored of it. If I just go into it impulsively, I end up being more successful.

bobboy555

• Bay Watcher
  • A man who needs no introduction.
    • View Profile
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »

My personal embark profile is:
Miner
Miner
Miner/Mechanic
Mason/Craftsdwarf (Bone, wood, stone)
Carpenter/Woodcutter
Farmer/Brewer
Farmer/Cook
I also take whatever livestock breeding pairs I can get (Always involves 2f+1m dogs, 1 ewe+1 ram, 1f+1m cats, 4 hens+1 rooster). Any other animals I want can be caught and tamed.
So, yeah, a stack of 2000 copper coins covered in vile ash that makes you vomit blood to death is my signature weapon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

All the furniture you need at the start is a bed, a table, a chair, and something to make a barracks. Get your armoursmith or whatever to make those items while they're waiting for their job materials, and train up one of the first-wave dwarves as a mason or carpenter.

Depending on the safety of your site you might not need even that for only the starting seven. Only the barracks furniture is necessary, and only then if you want to start military training* -- dwarves don't need beds to sleep or dining rooms to eat. Just be careful that nothing disturbs their mood equilibrium...

*The regular sort, anyway. I'm not sure if the coinstar needs any furniture, and you can make an open danger room.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »

Miner (2)
Woodcutter
Carpenter/Mason
Stonecrafter
Appraiser
Farmer

The Appraiser takes the odd jobs for most of my first couple of months; rest of points are spent on booze.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:01 pm »

I bring picks, and anvil, wood, bituminous coal, seeds, meat, booze, cats, dogs, and geese. The rest I spend on skills depending on my embark site.

I do the default "Play Now" so I can spend more time playing the game, and less time figuring out how many plump helmets I should bring. :)
I can't tell if you're joking or just trying to do things simply.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »

Two wooden training axes, a bunch of booze, an anvil, two copper picks, extra seeds, two female and one male dogs and cats, and the brain of each creature worth 2 embark points. After that, whatever of the "default" starting trifles I can afford.

Two miners, a mason, a carpenter, A farmer, a woodcutter, and a dedicated expedition leader (appraiser, organizer, record keeper, and social skills)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 08:28:04 pm »

No joke. Starting build is completely irrelevant once the first caravan and migrant waves arrive.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:28 pm »

There's nothing you can't do with "play now", unless you're in a really evil embark, or really had your heart set on using mechanical power to breach the aquifer or something.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »

I'm still really bad at using the site finder, so I prepare for every eventuality: no wood, aquifer everywhere, no clay or sand (actually clay and sand I might abandon for, only things I will abandon for, too much of a hassle to import)

So I bring lots of rocks, wood and some copper and tin ore for bronze, or iron ore and marble for steels (cheaper than bars). I usually bring fuel because although wood is cheaper, it is worth the energy spent burning wood into fuel. Then 20 bags of sand (20 free bags at the price of sand, yes please!)

Oh don't forget the most important part DELETE THE FOLLOWING USELESS, EASILY MADE ITEMS:
crutches
splints
bags
ropes
cloth (rob the elves! why do you need cloth the first year? Ok maybe for a mood, so bring 1 of each kind)

I never bring animals, those come free, I bring 20+ spawns and seeds, I bring tons of booze.

I make 2 training wooden axes on site and forge a metal pick or two saving loooads of points.

Points go into making an amazing diagnoser who may also be an adequate doctor and two good soldiers. All other roles are optional (but honestly miner, mason, carpenter, farmer/brewer). Never fishermen (situational), never hunters (suicidal), never socialites (why buy the cow when you get the milk for free and the milk is distracting the chief medical dwarf with parties?)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:09 pm »

My Current Profile:
Miner (3) Fighter (2) Dodger (3) Shield User (2)
Miner (2) Fighter (2) Dodger (3) Shield User (2) Teacher (1)
Carpenter (5) / Woodcutter (4) / Building Designer (1)
Mason (4) / Stonecrafter (3) / Mechanic (3)
Grower (5) / Plant Gathering (1) / Organizer (1) / Record keeper (1) / Consoler (1) / Pacifier (1)
Cook (5) / Brewer (3) / Thresher (2)

Butcher (1) / Tanner (1) / Leatherworker (4) / Bonecrafter (4)
 -OR-
Armorsmith (4) / Weaponsmith (4) / Metalcrafter (1) / Furnace Operator (1)

2 Cats
2 War Dogs
Turkey gobber + hens
Random Stuff

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »

No joke. Starting build is completely irrelevant once the first caravan and migrant waves arrive.
Fair enough, but I usually bring ~100 bituminous coal to fuel my metalsmithing industry (my current world has a horrific lack of coal in any worthwhile sites).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:34 pm »

I do the default "Play Now" so I can spend more time playing the game, and less time figuring out how many plump helmets I should bring. :)

You do it once then save the settings  ;)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

Oh don't forget the most important part DELETE THE FOLLOWING USELESS, EASILY MADE ITEMS:
crutches
splints
bags
ropes
cloth (rob the elves! why do you need cloth the first year? Ok maybe for a mood, so bring 1 of each kind)
You left out the wheelbarrow.  That's 50 points right there.
I assume the default cloth is there for first-aid purposes, since there are also splints, crutches, and thread.  Best delete all of these things, it frees up an amazing amount of points all totaled.  If you need bags, bring sand.

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 02:42:41 pm »

Items:
Some booze
Some food
A huge pile of bituminous coal and hematite
Anvil

Beards:
Miner\architect 5\1
Woodcutter\carpenter 5\5
Mason 5
Grower\Herbalist 5\5 (rarely use plant gathering, however. Just a waste)
Cook\Brewer 5\5
Teacher\Axeman\dodger\shield\armor 5\2\1\1\1 (who then become main soldier trainer)
Armorer\Weaponsmith 5\5

+some chickens and maybe cat
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:46:55 pm by Fluffy »
Sorry for my bad english

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »

When you choose to embark what skills do you give your dwarves and what items do you take with you... like what is the neccesity (needed).

x2 military Dwarves with teaching skills.
x2 farmer Dwarves with growing/herbalist skills.
x1 metalsmith/mason.
x2 miners.

One anvil.
Lots of logs (50+ at least).
Lots of copper bars/tetrahedrite.
Two quivers.
A few of all crops plus many seeds.
Two magma safe stones.
The rest is on alcohol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3