Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120047 times)

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #12570 on: December 19, 2013, 01:31:35 pm »

Damnit Nienhaus, I still need those kitten sprites so I can PR my kitten code :(
You should have reminded me, I was kinda sick in bed for most of the week.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »

Damnit Nienhaus, I still need those kitten sprites so I can PR my kitten code :(
Ah, no problem. A :P may have been more apropriate.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:12 pm »

Ah, no problem. A :P may have been more apropriate.
http://puu.sh/5RUuA.dmi

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: December 19, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »

THIS ROUND MCipher learned how captain get pragnent. Via facehugger. And then I used get mob to carp her.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: December 19, 2013, 02:10:05 pm »

THIS ROUND MCipher learned how captain get pragnent. Via facehugger. And then I used get mob to carp her.

Ah, the miracle of life.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: December 19, 2013, 03:01:01 pm »

Ah, the miracle of life.
and death

M3hillus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: December 19, 2013, 09:07:06 pm »

Ah, the miracle of life.
and death
We will live, they will die. Soon, there will be nothing.
'He can't even drive a car!'
'Perfect!'

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:31 am »

Nien posted a picture of the winter-ness.

Glloyd, there was STILL no gas sensor in the mixed air tank!

Why were you guys arguing so long about AI laws?  It's simple: interpret it how YOU want, just don't be stupid about it! They were MADE to be interpreted differently to different minds!  Personally, I interpret law one...loosely, regarding criminals. Especially when secborg.  I don't DIRECTLY harm humans but I become increasingly likely to leave the person in question in the hands of someone who should never be given a handcuffed human.  Like how I gave a tator to Axl, who cooked NOTHING but soylent green. There were others to deal with, so I left him in her hands.  Also, I miss being able to use disposals on random people, with focus on people who BUG me.  Who coded that function out?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:50 am »

Holy crap... trying to run a manhunt as an AI with a bunch of incompetent deputies (no offense) is hard.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: December 20, 2013, 08:17:48 am »

Nien posted a picture of the winter-ness.

Glloyd, there was STILL no gas sensor in the mixed air tank!

Why were you guys arguing so long about AI laws?  It's simple: interpret it how YOU want, just don't be stupid about it! They were MADE to be interpreted differently to different minds!  Personally, I interpret law one...loosely, regarding criminals. Especially when secborg.  I don't DIRECTLY harm humans but I become increasingly likely to leave the person in question in the hands of someone who should never be given a handcuffed human.  Like how I gave a tator to Axl, who cooked NOTHING but soylent green. There were others to deal with, so I left him in her hands.  Also, I miss being able to use disposals on random people, with focus on people who BUG me.  Who coded that function out?

So... you mean to say you allow human harm, though inaction? 

I just don't get this mentality. If you want to play a human character who acts the way you want them to, play a human. If you want to play an AI with rigid laws, play AI and follow the laws.  There's some room for interpretation, but handing criminals over to people who have proven themselves harmful seems well outside that wiggle room.  The laws aren't just suggestions

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:52 am »

Actually, if you want to play as an AI with rigid laws, play a different game (perhaps one that doesn't use Asimov's as a default, and doesn't have AIs whose core is a human brain). Asimov's is a literary device intended to leave lots of grey areas and story opportunities, not rigidly bind an AI's actions.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: December 20, 2013, 09:49:39 am »

And it does that quite well. The AI doesn't have to be rigid, but the laws are.  Granted, there's still a bit of grey area within the laws, but handing undesirables off to be harmed is not within that grey area.    There's a reason AIs and borgs have laws, and human crewmembers do not. 

Also:
Glloyd! Please put a gas sensor in the mixed air tank! And please, up the amount of nitrous in the nitrous tank! There's only 5000 kpa in there. 

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:07 am »

The amount of nitrous in the nitrous tank is hardcoded, iirc. messing with atmos vars on-map isn't exactly a great idea, either.

(Also 5000 kPa could be the contents of one very pressurized jetpack or the entire station worth. :v)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:22 am »

Are you sure? The old TGstation map had seemingly around the same amount of nitrous in the tank as there was plasma in the plasma tank, etc.

On glloyd station, there's 5000 kpa of nitrous in the nitrous tank. There's like 500,000 kpa of plasma in the plasma tank. 
It means flooding the station with nitrous doesn't really work, you'll run out pretty quickly.  I've had to flood with plasma instead of nitrous as a result. And I can't just see a bunch of plasma floating around and not throw a lit welder in it, now can I?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: December 20, 2013, 11:33:19 am »

Actually, if you want to play as an AI with rigid laws, play a different game (perhaps one that doesn't use Asimov's as a default, and doesn't have AIs whose core is a human brain). Asimov's is a literary device intended to leave lots of grey areas and story opportunities, not rigidly bind an AI's actions.
That's Asimov's laws as a plot device, not Asimov's laws as a gameplay mechanic. The bottom line is that an AI that just loopholes their way into doing whatever they want is a bad AI, in the same way that a HoS that takes advantage of their position to abuse people is a bad HoS.

Are you sure? The old TGstation map had seemingly around the same amount of nitrous in the tank as there was plasma in the plasma tank, etc.

On glloyd station, there's 5000 kpa of nitrous in the nitrous tank. There's like 500,000 kpa of plasma in the plasma tank. 
It means flooding the station with nitrous doesn't really work, you'll run out pretty quickly.  I've had to flood with plasma instead of nitrous as a result. And I can't just see a bunch of plasma floating around and not throw a lit welder in it, now can I?
You could make like Hans and throw a person in it.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1654