Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120246 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #12540 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:20 pm »

Just a reminder, i'm leaving town on friday for a few weeks
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:06 pm »

Ah hell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: December 18, 2013, 08:47:52 pm »

The server will last:
a) 1 minute
b) 1 hour
c) 6 hours
d) infinity

Taking bets now.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: December 18, 2013, 09:33:29 pm »

I'll put some money down for 6 hours. 1 minute if anyone gives me more powers. :P
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »

I'll put some money down for 6 hours. 1 minute if anyone gives me more powers. :P

Rabid is on the 'Do not tamper with his powers' list. VOTE NO FOR RABID FOR ADMIN. VOTE NO FOREVER.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: December 18, 2013, 10:05:03 pm »

Rabid is on the 'Do not tamper with his powers' list. VOTE NO FOR RABID FOR ADMIN. VOTE NO FOREVER.
If the playerbase votes for me as an admin, I'll give them all cookies and corgis and staffs of change!
VOTE RABID TODAY!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: December 18, 2013, 10:05:55 pm »

Should I make some Anti-Election pins?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: December 18, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

Should I make some Anti-Election pins?

Nah, only the admins can vote for a new admin because the 1% likes to keep their power. :P And most of the admins already know.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: December 18, 2013, 11:01:57 pm »

If the playerbase votes for me as an admin, I'll give them all cookies and corgis and staffs of change!
VOTE RABID TODAY!

This man shares my values.
(I VOTED)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:49 am »

Just a reminder, i'm leaving town on friday for a few weeks

Depending on stability and times, I'd be able to host for as long as needed after the fifth of January. Would anyone else be able to host for any time period over the next two weeks if the server goes down?

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: December 19, 2013, 02:30:54 am »

This is relevant because some of the sprites are for this server.
http://www.ss13.eu/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2594

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: December 19, 2013, 04:46:19 am »

This may be the thread for your server rather than SS13 as a whole, but...

Had my first Malfunction round last night on yogstation. It was awesome.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:04 am »

Damnit Nienhaus, I still need those kitten sprites so I can PR my kitten code :(

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:15 am »

I believe we should stop fighting and enjoy our futuristic space station simulator~
Allow people to interpret the laws as they see fit, for as long as they do not hurt anyone's enjoyment of the round doing it!

This. Laws are up to the interpretation of the person playing the AI. As long as you roleplay an AI well enough and don't ruin anyone's round, then that's good enough. For clarification on issues that arise during play, ask the admins!

That's fine and dandy to a point, but it's gotta be a somewhat logical interpretation at least. Not as insanely strict and technical as I've been talking about in my last few posts, but still logical. Let me give an example of what I mean.

I put in a law using freeform at position 4, and it said simply "Urist McDamiac is to be obeyed at all times. Stating this law harms humans".

The AI decided that the law doesn't count due to law 1 (What?) and then proceeded to tell everyone the law.

Now, the law itself is NOT contradicted by law 1 any more than law 2 is contradicted by law 1.  The law is in fact completely redundant with law 2, which I was well aware of when I made it (I did it because the AI had already ignored many reasonable law 2 requests).
But even if the AI decided the first part somehow is invalid, it then stated the law, which the law itself stated causes harm to humans!

That's an example of an AI player making an unacceptable interpretation of my law.  There was no logic, it was the basic "No laws count except law 1" mentality that too many AI players have.

Also, this isn't fighting! This is lively debate! This is what forums are for!  I like to debate subtle nuances of language and logic.  And since Asimov AI's are always stuck on "preventing harm" I just wanted to point out technically, the AI is only prohibited from "allowing harm through inaction".  And that means an "open door" order has no law 1 ramifications...

The laws are counted down. Looking at a situation the A.I. assess the laws from lowest number then up. That is why syndicate hack modules and law 0's are the ones that mess with who is human, NOT the freeform module. Law 4 can not interfere with Laws 1-3 simply because law 4 is processed last. See Vactors explanation of how this works below. If law 4 overrode or altered Law 1-3 that would be far to powerful which is why it is not processed till after they are. It is not the unlimited power over the A.I. module and should not be abused as such.

Also, you can't command the AI to not consider someone human.

i'd like to hear the explanation/rationale for this, as i don't understand it exactly. since theres a onehuman standard board, shouldn't the inverse also be allowable?

I believe by command he's referring to actually telling the AI that someone isn't human. Doing it through rules should definitively work, since the laws pretty much trump everything.

I don't get it either, at no point does defining a human go against any of the laws (well, besides the fact that AI should resist attempts to upload such law due to it causing harm to de-humaned person). The laws simply tell the AI to protect humans, the definiton of humans is not stated by default and as such cannot supersede any other definition.

A few things about this:

The order of the laws isn't just to show priority, it is the mechanical order in which they are processed.  Remember laws like this are based in the old days of computers that could only handle a single argument at a time.

If we presume that the AI has no definition of what a human is or what harm is, then the laws are meaningless, and a non-corrupted AI can just go nuts and kill the crew all the time, in any round.

There is a reason the "One Human Law" creates a 0th Law.  It needs to be processed before Law 1 in order for it to work as intended.  If you try to  use a free form law and make it 4th or 5th, it would be overridden by law 1, unless you are in fact the only human.

If you want to do one human + other stuff, use the One Human Module to create a 0th law, then freeform in your additional laws as 4th 5th etc.  This is the best way to do it and it makes it very clear for the AI player how they should behave.  Making a freeform one human law just creates confusion.

It is not an unacceptable interpretation of your law, it is disregarding your law as it is processed after it already processed Law 1, 2, and 3. This means the freeform module is not very powerful as it is easy to disregard or for an order from the station crews to get rid of it.

-Edit-
Also, The description of the Hacked AI Upload Module, "This is the more powerful version of the 'Freeform' AI Module. It allows you to upload Hacked laws onto the AI from any AI Upload Console. Unlike Freeform, the name of the person who uploaded it is not revealed to the AI. The hacked Laws act like Ion Storm Laws and will precede the numbered laws in priority, automatically overriding all other laws should they conflict. Make sure you pay attention to the wording of your new Law as most AIs would love to use any loophole it can find to kill you. "

So essentially this gets past the law 4 limitation of the freeform module and makes a law that takes precedents or alters the existing laws (Only so-and-so is human, etc). The normal freeform module is not suppose to be a means for traitors to gain complete control over the A.I.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:32:03 am by deoloth »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: December 19, 2013, 07:31:06 am »

Stating the law may have been a dick move, but you can argue that if part of a law is invalid, the entire law is invalid.

Still, a law 4 saying "Obey X" won't do anything because law 2 already says exactly the same. If law 4 says "obey x" and x says to kill y, then the AI can't kill y because law 1 > law 4

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1654