Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122727 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #11505 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »

Virologists don't have access to virus crates.

That's a /tg/ thing. It's CMO only.
CMOs cant get into virology.

This is why I am more likely to be HoP and take up virology as a hobby.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »

Hector Pedrids
HECTOR!

Uh sorry, I'll be on my way now.

ThaNomad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »

Hey guys I just found this forum yesterday, but this was the server I first started on.

I was Clint Westwood that round(Who was Nikolas Baker?). I wasn't really sure what to do while interrogating Simon Bynum with the HoS. This is my second time playing a security role. I just refer to space law when I'm not sure about something. I don't know who Simon was but I apologize for not doing more I should have known the HoS was going overboard from the way I've seen sec handle illegal tech in the past.

When does it become metagaming when identifying illegal tech? Wouldn't something like a chameleon projector and cryptographic sequencer be obviously illegal to someone like the HoS? Anyways I apologize if I metagemed at all I made mistake with the cloning as well sorry about that.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:13:15 pm by ThaNomad »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:53 pm »

Hey guys I just found this forum yesterday, but this was the server I first started on.

I was Clint Westwood that round(Who was Nikolas Baker?). I wasn't really sure what to do while interrogating Simon Bynum with the HoS. This is my second time playing a security role. I just refer to space law when I'm not sure about something.

When does it become metagaming when identifying illegal tech? Wouldn't something like a chameleon projector and cryptographic sequencer be obviously illegal to someone like the HoS? Anyways I apologize if I metagemed at all I made mistake with the cloning as well sorry about that.

You were quite good, actually. The HoS was an metagaming idiot, apologies for that. And in this server, security usually passes it off as a small trinket unless it's OBVIOUS, like a revolver or a box of bullets.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: November 04, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »

I was Clint Westwood that round(Who was Nikolas Baker?). I wasn't really sure what to do while interrogating Simon Bynum with the HoS. This is my second time playing a security role. I just refer to space law when I'm not sure about something. I don't know who Simon was but I apologize for not doing more I should have known the HoS was going overboard from the way I've seen sec handle illegal tech in the past.

Emags, in my eyes, were always just junk to sec but obviously illegal to engineers and scientists who could figure out what they do. Same to cham projectors and similar.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: November 04, 2013, 11:23:29 pm »

Any head should be trained well enough to recognize things that are not normally found on a station and tag those things as suspicious. Approach the RD and/or go to the bridge and figure out what to do with them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:57 am »

It was me, and no worries mate. You played really well, it's not your fault that the HoS was the way he was.

Our general policy is that only the Captain knows about player antags (as opposed to carp/spiders/etc.), and not a terrible lot beyond "There are these dude, bad dudes, and they want to fuck with us."

After a lot of internal argument I think that we've basically come to the point where Heads are suspicious about things that are obviously out of place (Ebow, power sink, etc.) if they see them in use, just about everyone can recognize outright weapons when they're being used (Esword, C4, etc.), but stuff that's not obviously dangerous (Chameleon projector/jumpsuit, unused parapen, etc.) aren't noteworthy, bundled in with Corai's note about it being reasonable for Science/Engineering types to be able to discern that something's funky with e-mags, singulo beacons, etc.

Honestly, it's almost more important that that sort of stuff not be used in the "OMG TRAITOR ITEM YOU'RE UNDER ARREST" method, in the same way that, say, real police don't instantly taze and beat down a guy for having a set of locksmith's gear in the back of his truck. If it's a weapon and is seen in use, that's obvious. Everything else, not so much. The heart of it is that you should make at least some attempt to RP, rather than just railroading everyone into perma/borg/execution/show trial. If I'm playing Sec and I catch someone who turns out to have traitor items, I RP an interrogation with them. If it isn't demonstrably a weapon and they offer a reasonable explanation ("I bought it for my kid at some store on a planet I visited"/"I found it lying around in maint."/etc.), I'll release them with it.

Basically no Sec people should know anything about antags without learning it IC in-round, and in general shouldn't automatically be suspicious of "passive" traitor items, especially when they haven't seen them in use.

TBH, I almost have as much of an issue with the Cargo crew that instantly PDA'd the HoS saying that I was a rev the moment I started RPing a conversion conversation with them. Actually, that brings up a good point. Another part of the RP is that when we're antags we generally try to not just lelmurderboner people at random, though it can happen from time to time. You can even justify murdering a non-antag as a non-antag if there's a chain of escalation between the two of you and you bother to RP it out.

You personally don't have anything to worry about, though: Like I said, you did a good job in a bad situation.  :D

____

Unrelated:
Elena Faust says, "Looks like we won't be having Q&A time with the assistant."
Alden Moore says, "did"
Alden Moore asks, "is he uncloneable?"
Elena Faust says, "He gave up the ghost, so to speak."
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

NO REGRETS!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:57 am »

+1 to Flying_Dice's stuff ^

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: November 05, 2013, 02:30:26 am »

ThaNomad, I was Nik that round :P

What actually happened in the courtroom? I just ran in after a while and stunned the guy with the sword, then went back in and stunned the HoS and nicked his laser
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: November 05, 2013, 02:35:15 am »

I mean, it's not that I necessarily think that more meta-y playstyles are bad, evil, or whatever, just that I'm not interested in that sort of game. It's a lot like the difference in tabletop gaming between a group of powergaming mixmaxers and a group of RPers that build sub-optimal characters and don't always take the "best" decision because their characters wouldn't. Neither is "wrong", but they don't always mix well.

ThaNomad, I was Nik that round :P

What actually happened in the courtroom? I just ran in after a while and stunned the guy with the sword, then went back in and stunned the HoS and nicked his laser
One of the other revs parapenned the HoS and tried to kill him with an e-sword. The HoS's little meta-buddies in the cargo crew dogpiled and parapenned her, then started murdering her with the e-sword. A second rev downed the cargo tech and started a ninja dance with the QM, who still had the e-sword. When the HoS got up, he gunned down both of the revs (one while she was still parapenned), then came over and did the same to me before I could finish uncuffing.

After that the cool dude Captain cloned us all, and on the shuttle he gave us his gun, ID, and wink&nudge permission to lynch the HoS if we could manage it. Seriously whoever played the Captain was a great guy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

I had to go do something that point so I figured why not and just threw my laser gun there. I'm actually surprised you didn't take my energy gun.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: November 05, 2013, 07:58:30 am »

Generally I think unless they are actively shooting back and/or are able to harm you with a melee weapon (Enclosed space, crowded room, no escape), lethal force shouldn't be used unless specifically authorized.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:00 am »

I kinda disagree, if they've bombed the station, unleashed a deadly plague, or just cut someone to pieces with a butcher knife and are going to escape.  Kill them.  You can always drag them to medbay and clone them after, at least that way they are not going to kill a bunch of other people.  RP wise that's what I'd think most sec would do (see police force in real life :p )
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:15 am »

I kinda disagree, if they've bombed the station, unleashed a deadly plague, or just cut someone to pieces with a butcher knife and are going to escape.  Kill them.  You can always drag them to medbay and clone them after, at least that way they are not going to kill a bunch of other people.  RP wise that's what I'd think most sec would do (see police force in real life :p )

But then you potentially set their memory back to before they committed those crimes. This is going by "you don't remember who killed you".

Subdue them. Incapacitate them. Stop before lethal force because only the Captain can authorize that. Otherwise Security is just another murderer.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:45 am »

Stop before lethal force because only the Captain can authorize that. Otherwise Security is just another murderer.

If I remember my Space Law lethal force is authorized in certain situations, but it should mostly a last-resort type thing. If you can't subdue them normally (hulks, mechs etc.), then lethal force is authorized. If a person is armed and dangerous, and you can't stun them then lethal force is acceptable. Full-blown mutinies and Space Wizards also warrant lethal force. But as I mentioned before lethal force should be used a last resort, to be used only when regular procedures are unable to work or are too dangerous to use.

Mind you stunning is still the way to go to win almost any type of combat, so discussing the appropriate uses of lethal force is more interesting than useful.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1654