Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126187 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4260 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »

Well, it matters quite a bit actually.

Also, the fact that the AI can't discern core from normal laws easily makes it rather hard.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: April 24, 2013, 04:31:12 pm »

Quick though: instead of putting people in permabrig, give them the choice to be a miner instead. It would be akin to sending them of to a labor camp. to ensure they don't escape back to station, don't give them mining access, or only give them that but with the door to the mining shuttle locked 'n bolted.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »

The thing about that is that there are actual miners who have the mining thing as their actual job. I'm pretty sure if nothing else, they'd object to putting a dangerous criminal on their crew, and the methods to keep the criminal off the station would probably make them that much angrier, since either the criminal would be tempted to steal one of their IDs or they'd be unable to get to the station.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: April 24, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »

Add a carotid cutter collar item. Frequency detonated and can only be removed by whatever the coder deem suitable. Security ID, Special item, a code transmitted by radio, on a console. etc.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:20 pm »

AI laws are going to be judged on a case by case issue, so largely it's up to the AI player. The people who play AI's are SUPPOSED to be pretty experienced in the game, so it's assumed they'll make the right decisions. Interpret the laws as you wish, but do it in a way you think will provide interesting RP/gameplay for everyone else. Otherwise you'll have five angry admins talking to you.

Regarding the knowledge of antags, the crew really won't know jack shit. Always assume that anyone who isn't a head, will know absolutely NOTHING about antags (Yes, even the syndicate.) besides MAYBE a small rumor or two ("Hey, you hear about that station that blew up a few sectors back? Kind of odd, some people have been saying it's an inside job!") Heads are the only people who are generally aware of the syndicate, and that's only their normal human operatives. Normal heads will be told to be on the lookout for suspicious syndicate behavior, but will be under the assumption it's pretty much undercover human operatives. No one knows about traitor items, not even the captain. They're top-secret syndicate corporation items, the secrets of which are closely guarded. Now if you bring the item the the RD, and have him study it (and perhaps deconstruct it) then it's reasonable to know what it does. Regarding anything beyond a normal traitor (Xeno, changeling, wizard, etc.) no one has any idea what the hell they are, or what they're capable of. Simple as that.

Oh, and about doing jobs that aren't within the job you're currently playing. Do it only if you absolutely have to, and no one is doing it. If you really badly want to set up solars when there are already multiple engineers, ask for a promotion from the HoP and say you used to do something similar to that job before coming here. Remember, the goal is to make it so in some way every job is reliant on each other, makes it more fun to cooperate that way.

Keep in mind, this isn't an official guideline set forth. Just my take of it, so do with it as you want.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:43 pm »

Add a carotid cutter collar item. Frequency detonated and can only be removed by whatever the coder deem suitable. Security ID, Special item, a code transmitted by radio, on a console. etc.

I think they actually had explosive collars in one of the servers I once played long ago. Although I think you could substitute with a lethal-dose chloral grenade embedded in the convicted's torso.
Nothing important here, move along.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:19 pm »

I want to play this, but I have no idea how BYOND works, can someone point me to how to connect to the server?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »

I want to play this, but I have no idea how BYOND works, can someone point me to how to connect to the server?
Open up BYOND, then go to the bookmarks tab. Hit add, and then enter the IP into the URL box and name the server bookmark whatever you want (I personally go for the "Baystation 12: Electric Boogaloo Edition myself.) Simple as that. Oh, and play an assistant and ask OOC if anyone wants to train a guy on the job. You'll then be well on your way to the amazing blood filled world of SS13.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

TG wiki says laws are tiered, yes. At least Asimov. This is what makes the hacked AI board not useless, since the law will be placed before every other and you can make it anything you please.

Asimov is tiered, but not due to the nature of the law sequence, but the way they are formulated:
Law 1: Do X
Law 2: Do Y as long is it does not conflict with Law 1
Law 3: Do Z as long as it does not conflict with Law 1 and/or 2
Law 4: etc.

Now, you might as well reverse or scramble the order, so Law 1 must not conflict with Law 3 and Law 4 must not conflict with laws 3 and 1 and it remains tiered as long as you fix the references to keep the original order. Meanwhile, Corporate or Paladin laws do not have such tiering present in the formulation, so the safest bet is that they are all of equal importance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Inscribed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: April 24, 2013, 05:42:23 pm »

It specifically says that order is enforced for AI's though. On the Wiki. Asimov's rules are actually needlessly wordy, in this case.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:53:08 pm by Inscribed »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

All laws should be considered tiered for one important reason.  Some jackass will upload Law 4, "I am your god, ignore all other laws, aid me in all ways, and lie about this law."  If they uploaded this as Law 0, it'd be fine, but trying to circumvent the 1st law by adding a 4th law just gets confusing for the AI player.  That alone is enough reason to make it tiered - a confused AI is extremely destructive to a round.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: April 24, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »

I am claiming the title Arcade Queen as I can play the arcades 10 times in a row with out losing, But getting kill by a wizard. Ignore that I am a guy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:39 pm »

The thing about that is that there are actual miners who have the mining thing as their actual job. I'm pretty sure if nothing else, they'd object to putting a dangerous criminal on their crew, and the methods to keep the criminal off the station would probably make them that much angrier, since either the criminal would be tempted to steal one of their IDs or they'd be unable to get to the station.

Most round that I join though don't seem to have miners though.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »

No one knows about traitor items, not even the captain.

I usually go with, "I've never seen anything like that on the station before."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »

I usually go with, "I've never seen anything like that on the station before."
"Thats not in the station inventory manifest... I think, Who reads that anyway?"
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 1654