Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2116159 times)

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #9105 on: August 17, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »

* Goes on that custom server hosted by abby riley *
> gets in a fight in chemistry and releases red phospherous, declaring it mindbrekaer
> headmin argues with me over it
> some guy releases sulfuric acid smoke
> gets permabanned
> server has no forum
> talks to him in pager and gets added to his foe list
-_-

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: August 17, 2013, 12:36:13 pm »

i downloaded their git in a zip and jesus christ. you two are right. they really put the "spaghetti" in "the soul-crushingly dense byond spaghetti"

i however am going to do the easiest thing to do: run a local server, find src << and go from there. i promise nothing, will edit post later

Let me know how it goes, and good luck!

You can easily disable furries from the code, the rest Glloyd, yeah, kinda true, you just have to get used to navigating through it.

And could you eloberate on the ''complex'' medicalsystem and the ruleset?

Aaand as edit, ZAS has settings.

Well, you can just not whitelist anyone, but tracking down all the related code so that you don't get horrible compiling errors? Near impossible. I remember talking to one of the devs about it a little while back when they were adding a new race (Vox I think...) and he was saying that even they didn't know where all the different species were located. He just copied and pasted from the one he could find and went from there, and even then, he had to copy it from multiple random .dm's.

As for the medical system... I get that they want it to be as realistic as possible, but the way it is (and the way it's going, see the organ printing thread on their forums), the whole system obsoletes all the other forms of medicine besides surgery, and makes genetics near useless. All of BS12 medical now involves a ton of different, annoying surgical procedures. I love the blood system and losing blood, but then you have to get doctors to patch the veins and whatnot. So now, Billy who got slammed against a wall by ZAS can't patch himself up in the fitness room, and has to suffer through the pain effects and slowly die from blood loss because sometimes, with our server pop, we don't have doctors. Also, their virology system... Don't even get me started.

As for the ruleset... They punish you for not roleplaying well. I mean I love roleplaying, and I wish our server was a bit more geared towards it, but I hate how their system is designed to punish those who maybe just aren't good at roleplaying. The whole server is kind of hostile towards new people coming in, and the ruleset (and forums) encourage that.

EDIT:
Or perhaps you could consider that porting BS12 code would be a gigantic project, and we really have, what, two? MAYBE three coders?

This. I'm really the only "main coder" and that's only because I'm the one that takes care of map stuff. Android merges /tg/ and maintains the codebase, for which he is a god. Besides me and him, there's Nien, who pushes something every once in a while, Cozarctan, who hasn't pushed something in quite some time, and Anturk who hasn't pushed something that got pulled since rigging fueltanks to explode I think. So we don't really have a lot of consistent coders who could devote their time to this. Luckily, I'm just finishing up the new map, so that should give me the time needed to start some new projects.

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: August 17, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »

Or perhaps you could consider that porting BS12 code would be a gigantic project, and we really have, what, two? MAYBE three coders? It's just not going to happen in any sort of reasonable time frame, and badgering us about it isn't going to just magically make it happen. Perhaps if you put some work towards it, or found some people that would, it would be a more viable option, but just straight porting BS12 isn't going to happen, because as Glloyd said, huge list of hated things versus a short list of AWESOME things. Until then, can we kindly move this discussion somewhere that is less likely to result in a flame war or something similar?

(Awful pun was awful fun to type.)

The hell are you talking about, I made a suggestion here, I'm not ''badgering'' anybody and should I scream it in OOC? No, so stop being a dick.

@Glloyd-What you said about the medsystem is largely true, although I prefer it over tgs medsystem, but it suits tg so yeah.
As for the rules, I agree with that, it is hard to come in as a new player and applying the rulesets on here would be disastrous.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:42:50 pm by GiantBadger »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: August 17, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »

Also, ZAS (bay's atmos system) isn't all that great either. Instant decompression may *sound* good, but getting slammed into a wall and dieing isn't that fun.

On a related note, TG is working on an overhaul of their atmos system, codenamed Linda. I hear their play-tests of it have gone very well.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:39 pm »

i downloaded their git in a zip and jesus christ. you two are right. they really put the "spaghetti" in "the soul-crushingly dense byond spaghetti"

i however am going to do the easiest thing to do: run a local server, find src << and go from there. i promise nothing, will edit post later

Let me know how it goes, and good luck!

how it goes? it doesn't

dream daemon's peaking one of my cpus for a while now and nothing seems to be happening

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: August 17, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

Also, ZAS (bay's atmos system) isn't all that great either. Instant decompression may *sound* good, but getting slammed into a wall and dieing isn't that fun.

On a related note, TG is working on an overhaul of their atmos system, codenamed Linda. I hear their play-tests of it have gone very well.
I know. I'm basically always in #coderbus.

Also, I *may* learn how to DM, but don't count on it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:39 pm »

Wait, what the fuck happened while I was out? Talking about changing to baycode? just why?
I mean really. Yes the medbay is awesome and so are the shuttles but its also really, really a giant pain in the ass when you got the frecking vamps who wont let you just go and die already.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: August 17, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »

As a former BS12 fellow, don't port to BS12. Seriously, they do not have good code. The hostage system is cool, but it could be replicated.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: August 17, 2013, 01:06:39 pm »

Or perhaps you could consider that porting BS12 code would be a gigantic project, and we really have, what, two? MAYBE three coders? It's just not going to happen in any sort of reasonable time frame, and badgering us about it isn't going to just magically make it happen. Perhaps if you put some work towards it, or found some people that would, it would be a more viable option, but just straight porting BS12 isn't going to happen, because as Glloyd said, huge list of hated things versus a short list of AWESOME things. Until then, can we kindly move this discussion somewhere that is less likely to result in a flame war or something similar?

(Awful pun was awful fun to type.)

The hell are you talking about, I made a suggestion here, I'm not ''badgering'' anybody and should I scream it in OOC? No, so stop being a dick.

@Glloyd-What you said about the medsystem is largely true, although I prefer it over tgs medsystem, but it suits tg so yeah.
As for the rules, I agree with that, it is hard to come in as a new player and applying the rulesets on here would be disastrous.

Pardon me, you obviously think I was being hostile, and I wasn't. I was making a point in an assertive manner. The badgering thing was a JOKE, a play on words involving your name. I'm not being a dick, you are being hypersensitive because you bear a grudge against me. Like I said, it's not something that is very likely to happen very soon, and anyways, we need to make our own thing here, not just be a offshoot of some other server. /me shrugs. In my opinion.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: August 17, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

For the record, Hanslanda, I thought you handled my concern the other day about traitor conduct well.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:16 pm »

I do not recall the event to which you are alluding, but I'm glad you think so. >.> I try to be fair, but I am still human.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: August 17, 2013, 01:33:23 pm »

I played a few rounds on Baystation. My experience was as follows:
Round one:
-Make character. Wear glasses. Sign up as roboticist.
-Build a borg frame, puzzle over the useless, non-borg related parts that "add all cyborg parts to queue" makes.
-Search around for brains. Note that everyone in the morgue is a husk. Shrug shoulders.
-Notice Positronic Brain. Activate it, gush over how cool having a PaI that you can implant into a cyborg is.
-Hear someone say they need let out of Tech Storage, and that it is on fire.
-Get as far as the central hallway. ZAS launches me repeatedly into a wall. I stagger back to medbay, collapse into crit just outside.
-Get patched up, but am still orange level hurt for the rest of the round.
-At roundend, everyone is flashbanging everyone.

Round two:
-Try to make a Ripley for a miner who requested one.
-Find out that Ripleys are bugged on Baystation, and you can't make the right legs for them at the exosuit fab.
-Sigh.
-Power goes out.
-Sigh gain.
-QM and the RD drag a locked down borg into robotics, claiming there's an Ionic Law on the borg and he can't just reset it because... I dunno.
-QM is shoo'd out of my workplace.
-RD demands that I remove the borg's brain, is shocked and amazed when I can actually do so. Repeatedly demands that I tell him how.
-Brain starts complaining about the RD, says that he RD wants to steal him. RD insists that he's going to put the brain in a body.
-I shrug, pick up the brain, and start heading to morgue to get the guy's body.
-RD demands that I return the brain. I ignore him because he's clearly unstable.
-Yakety Sax with the brain, eventually leading me to reborg it.
-ADMIN MESSAGE: Why you steal the brain? Why you disobey your superiors?
-I discuss with the admin.
-It turns out he's the player of the RD. I call him out on that. He is embarassed.
-He decides to use prisoners to build an AI instead.
-Sure, why not.
-I go to Sec with an AIA consent form and pick out the QM from before.
-I get eaten my a changeling.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: August 17, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »

@hans
if you wherenot then you couldn't be as good as a badmin/goodmin combination, could you?

due to the ninja:
that seems to be about right.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: August 17, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »

How do you non-destructively remove a cyborg's brain?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:18 pm »

@Hanslanda, a grudge, ok.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1654