Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168094 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.16-Beta2, 5th March 2013)
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2013, 07:56:43 pm »

Hunting needs to be reworked. You don't put in three hours of effort, with nearly max skills, for nothing. That is terrible.

Sounds like the issue is the stealth mechanic, not hunting as a whole?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:23 pm »

nah, failing at stealth is reasonable, it's tracking that can get frustrating

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 10, 2013, 08:14:46 pm »

The thing is, if you don't wound significantly the animal the first time, you'll have a very hard time trying to kill it (except if it falls asleep).

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:11 pm »

Easier to hunt njerps, foreign traders and bears. I leave reindeer and elks to trap fences.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 10, 2013, 08:17:53 pm »

Some advice about hunting:

1) Yes, some days hunting sucks.  It's why traps are generally prefered for reliable dead land animals.
2) If you lose track of an animal that is nearby, zoom out to the world map.  You'll often see the animal, although you might have to climb a tree first.
3) Use ranged weapons to injure the animal from afar.  A bow and arrows is best, but javelins can work also.  If you're lucky, you'll wound the animal and it won't be able to run faster than you any more.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:56 pm »

The hunting actually feel really close to reality to me, and I can attest for the fact that it is nearly impossible to approach a deer or most animals without them noticing you. In the best case they see/hear you but kinda freeze and allow you to creep a bit closer, and that's actually modeled in the game. And in real life bow hunting, you better hope you did injure the animal significantly, or you will never find it again, and that's with modern bows/arrows.

One thing that would be nice is an automatic follow trail that move you along the trail until you lose it due to skill fail or terrain.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »

I bumped into a snake and clubbed it to death. Am I an elite hunter now? :3

Somehow my nets are failing on a river... :< I hve like 60% fishing >_> Maybe I should set them further away?

Note: I played this from 3.12, so I did know to wait enough XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »

I could take failing a stealth check if it didn't take three hours to make one. Its the time investment, three hours is a significant chunk of a day to spend tracking one animal. Its easier if the animal pops up on the overmap, but for some reason this elk never did. I stumbled on it while randomly doing overworld track checks. And I had a bow, its just hitting something from so far away is such a matter of luck I wanted to get a bit closer.

(another pet peeve, why does fishing for two or three hours fill my hunger bar completely?)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »

I could take failing a stealth check if it didn't take three hours to make one. Its the time investment, three hours is a significant chunk of a day to spend tracking one animal. Its easier if the animal pops up on the overmap, but for some reason this elk never did. I stumbled on it while randomly doing overworld track checks. And I had a bow, its just hitting something from so far away is such a matter of luck I wanted to get a bit closer.

(another pet peeve, why does fishing for two or three hours fill my hunger bar completely?)

Check your physique- big bulky characters will be bad at stealth even with maxxed skill. I think Agility may also play a part in this.

Your hunger bar fills quicker if your nutrition levels are low. Manual fishing is a big time expenditure for little gains. You're probably stuck hovering around the "Temperate" nutrition level which is why you find yourself in a loop of fishing all day to prevent starvation.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »

Somehow my nets are failing on a river... :< I hve like 60% fishing >_> Maybe I should set them further away?

Note: I played this from 3.12, so I did know to wait enough XD
Setting nets further away from the shore just means that you get different fish (Salmon/trout instead of breams/pike/etc.). The key, I think, is placement in rapids.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:20 pm »

Darnit, I don't have rapids here :/ And a built a cellar, too :\

What now D: I mean, lakes always give good fish.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »

For everyone having trouble with getting enough food I have one word for you, Milk. Buy 2 cows or sheep and you will be the fattest and happiest person in the world. Use the wooden tubs from the sauna's in town to store the milk and just milk both animals in the morning and you will be set all day. Quick easy and safe,

If you are in need of goods to purchase the animals then find an old man without any weapons and hire him for help, take him to your settlement/shelter then club/shoot/hack them to death. cook their flesh and pilfer their worldly belongings and sell them back to their friends. Easy mode basically.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »

After killing a Njerpez (thanks longbow and my trusty broad axe) and geting a bit hurt in the process, i decided to resume the course missions and get a dog as a war companion to help in case of further Njerpez incursion.

Because getting wounded is annoying as until fully healed it add to the burdening malus to every skills, so i'm currently at -23% , not negligable for other activities.

A Driik sage accepted to sell me a small dog against the axe of the fallen Njerpez

But now i'm wondering if after the missions being considered complete it is that much of a good idea to keep it for war assistance instead of get more leather/food to smoke from it, because it needs food.
I'm a fisherman, very very rarely i manage to catch a ground prey (my best was a lowly fox and still it was a trap that got him), so dog will have to live from fish.

The 1st day, it barked, and i dropped 5 roaches on the ground to see how much it would eat, and he got them all without me knowing if that little ogre want even more.

Looking in the wiki does not seem to contain the answer, so for experienced dog feeders, what amount of fishes does a dog needs everyday ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:19:56 pm by Robsoie »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:39 pm »

Aren't roaches basically finger food anyway? Try giving the dog a pike or something and see if it'll eat the whole thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 11, 2013, 12:02:04 am »

Dogs eat almost as much as you, although I don't know if they can actually starve or anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76