Gandalf the White
- 46 (79.3%)
Dumbledore
- 10 (17.2%)
tie
- 2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore  (Read 13967 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:53 am »

And Ungoliant was not a Maiar.  She seemed to be some anomalous being from the void beyond creation.

Ungoliant is even fuzzier than the nature of the wizards. There's conflicting documentation on what exactly she is, even in the Silmarillion as I'm reading through it.

Yeah.  I don't think there's any official word on it.

My personal take is she's a personification of the void (that which existed before or beyond the song of creation), much like Tom Bombadil seems to be a personification of nature that doesn't really fit in with any specific class of beings.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 01:42:15 am »

Or denying Jackie Chan the use of his arms, legs, and whatever random objects he can find

Well no... because at no time did Gandalf decide that "Maybe it is better if I ascend to godhood for a short period of time to fix middle earth".

Remember Gandalf did not believe he would succeed. He was doing a suicide mission from the start.

This is like saying "Jackie Chan who was a rocket scientist as a part time job several years ago. Stumbles upon his old death star." It is far removed from current Jackie Chan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013, 01:44:25 am »

Or denying Jackie Chan the use of his arms, legs, and whatever random objects he can find

Well no... because at no time did Gandalf decide that "Maybe it is better if I ascend to godhood for a short period of time to fix middle earth".

Remember Gandalf did not believe he would succeed. He was doing a suicide mission from the start.

This is like saying "Jackie Chan who was a rocket scientist as a part time job several years ago. Stumbles upon his old death star." It is far removed from current Jackie Chan.
Gandalf's masters tried that once; they kinda broke a continent.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 01:46:26 am »

and yet that still isn't an excuse because once again... Gandalf "Knew" he would lose.

Anything he did during godhood would be far less then what Sauron, and how viciously evil he is, would do. A good old continent smashing was just what they needed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:34 am »

and yet that still isn't an excuse because once again... Gandalf "Knew" he would lose.

Anything he did during godhood would be far less then what Sauron, and how viciously evil he is, would do. A good old continent smashing was just what they needed.
He specifically wasn't allowed so that the mortals would make their own destiny. He could only give council.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:34 am »

He specifically wasn't allowed so that the mortals would make their own destiny. He could only give council.

Dumbledore is human.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:56 am »

Dumbledore is human.
...so?
Sig! Onol

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 01:55:02 am »

This metaphor has gone too far. I don't even know what you guys are talking about anymore.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2013, 01:56:44 am »

Dumbledore is human.
...so?

So Gandalf is barred from Godhood... which we don't even know how he goes into that mode.

I mean... what stops Gandalf from going to godmode and going "Yeah, I win anyway. Reset"?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:52 am »

I question why the two would have to fight anyway. They're clevert enough to find an outcome that would benefit the two of them.

Possibly by manipulating the jury into making them both winners.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:00 am »

Dumbledore is human.
...so?

So Gandalf is barred from Godhood... which we don't even know how he goes into that mode.

I mean... what stops Gandalf from going to godmode and going "Yeah, I win anyway. Reset"?
Huh? No, I mean he's not allowed to use his power to, say, assume control over a human empire and try to conquer the world, Saruman. He probably can use his power against sufficiently powerful beings like the Balrog. Anyhow, this is assuming no limitations, is it not?
Although I support the idea of them teaming up instead of fighting. They should team up with Yoda too. That would be one of the scariest fighting teams ever.

Quick, everyone think of names of old wise people do we can compile them into a guild!
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:33 am »

I question why the two would have to fight anyway. They're clevert enough to find an outcome that would benefit the two of them.

Possibly by manipulating the jury into making them both winners.

No you don't ever play this card when you do this.

As this is basically the equivilant of saying "Why even have this conversation? This is stupid! They would never fight!" which is completely missing the point.

They are in a fight to the death, the reasoning is unimportant. While we don't entirely ignore their character we have to at least remember that the entire premise is that they are in a battle to the death and they want to kill the opponent.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:13 am »

And Ungoliant was not a Maiar.  She seemed to be some anomalous being from the void beyond creation.

Ungoliant is even fuzzier than the nature of the wizards. There's conflicting documentation on what exactly she is, even in the Silmarillion as I'm reading through it.

Yeah.  I don't think there's any official word on it.

My personal take is she's a personification of the void (that which existed before or beyond the song of creation), much like Tom Bombadil seems to be a personification of nature that doesn't really fit in with any specific class of beings.

I actually agree, I much prefer to think of her as something that comes from beyond the Music. But what I read seems to at least lump her in with the Maiar for simplicity's sake so I was going with that.

Back to the argument at hand, Gandalf isn't stopped from harming people just because they're men or whatever.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2013, 02:09:22 am »

It's not even the equivalent.

Next bullet point: which guy has been irreversably into becoming a bad guy, prompting the other to fight him?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2013, 02:11:16 am »

Well, Dumbledore did kinda hang out with Wizard Hitler for a while there...
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10