Gandalf the White
- 46 (79.3%)
Dumbledore
- 10 (17.2%)
tie
- 2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore  (Read 13980 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »

Both character's tactics are a relevant part of the question here. Dumbledore using Avada Kedavra is just not something that would happen. In the books and movies, he fights people by swinging his fire whip, transfiguring rubble into lions, conjuring birds, shielding, teleporting around and dodging. And he apparently has the Sword of Gryffindor in this match up. So fight one is going to look like the Gandalf vs. Balrog fight in Moria. Dumbledore swinging his sword, trying to trip Gandalf with the fire whip and Gandalf blocking, using lightning and trying to come up with some cunning plan to lure Dumbledore onto a bridge. Regardless of how it goes, later fights are going to involve Dumbledore kiting Gandalf with apparation and invisibility since the White Wizard doesn't have very good ranged abilities.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »

He says so himself; he's the most dangerous person they're ever going to meet besides Sauron.

Yeah but this is Lord of the Rings universe... A man with an Uzi would be the most dangerous person in middle earth.

A man with an Uzi would also arguably be the most dangerous person in the Wizarding world.

"You need to chant Abracadabra and wave your wand to kill me? Okay, I can kill you by squeezing one finger a bit. In fact, I can kill a whole crowd of you like that."

The wizards and witches weren't maintaining the masquerade because of some Prime Directive BS, they were doing it out of fear. IIRC they started doing it because they were constantly being killed off by superstitious (and possibly genre savvy) Muggles, and that was back when the best ordinary weapons were bits of sharp metal. In the modern world they have bits of metal (and plastic, and wood) that can accelerate lots of even smaller bits of metal to very high speeds.

If you're going to pull out modern weapons Gandalf would auto-win because he can resurrect if he takes a bullet from 500 meters out and Dumbledore can't. Also, Abracadabra? It only works on living things. Now come at them each with an attack helicopter or a drone strike and see who comes out better. Yeah, not the direction you want to go, not least because it ends with an old man and something that takes the form of an old man being splattered by high explosives, and then possibly the latter showing up a bit later with clean robes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Be sure to share it when you're done.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »

You may want to wait several months.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »

Build a time machine. If it takes a lifetime just send it to your past self so it took no time at all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:47 pm »

Build a time machine. If it takes a lifetime just send it to your past self so it took no time at all.
But then he would never bother to write it, and so would never send it back in time, and GAAAAH.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15:55 pm »

He says so himself; he's the most dangerous person they're ever going to meet besides Sauron.

Yeah but this is Lord of the Rings universe... A man with an Uzi would be the most dangerous person in middle earth.

A man with an Uzi would also arguably be the most dangerous person in the Wizarding world.
I think J.K. Rowling said a Muggle with a gun would beat a wizard anytime. I don't remember when, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 11:21:46 pm »

I think J.K. Rowling said a Muggle with a gun would beat a wizard anytime. I don't remember when, though.
That begs the question as why no one in the HP universe uses guns.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:42 am »

That begs the question as why no one in the HP universe uses guns.

Because most wizards do not have any idea of what a gun is and are hundreds of years behind in technology. As well a lot of wizards are rather snobish towards technology as well.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:08 am »

People don't seem to understand what exactly Gandalf is. He is an angel, literally a higher power than any mortal. What's more, he is specifically referenced in the Silmarillion as the wisest of all Maiar. To be singled out for a quality beyond all others when your compatriots are the queen of all Sindar, Saruman the White, Sauron, and The Eldritch Abomination mother of Shelob, Ungoliant, then you are something special.

Dumbledore may be good, but he's not the sort of guy that would stand out in a mythos spanning tens of thousands of years.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:54 am »

People don't seem to understand what exactly Gandalf is

I understand what he is, it is just that... well... "Just because you are all that in your neighbourhood it doesn't mean you are Mr. Bigshot here"

Dumbledore is good in a universe where magic itself is a lot more impressive. Which translates into being godlike in the Lord of the Rings universe.

You do not get a pass just because you are considered "Hot stuff" in your own universe.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 12:26:35 am »

I understand what he is, it is just that... well... "Just because you are all that in your neighbourhood it doesn't mean you are Mr. Bigshot here"

Dumbledore is good in a universe where magic itself is a lot more impressive. Which translates into being godlike in the Lord of the Rings universe.

You do not get a pass just because you are considered "Hot stuff" in your own universe.

People tend to equate flashiness with quality, which is probably why modern fantasy is so shitty when it tries to emulate Tolkien. He knew what real magic was supposed to be. Subtle, imbued with nature itself. Just because Harry Potter's magic is more visually impressive does not mean it is better.

Gandalf is the sort of guy who can rebuke evil with just his presence. Raising his staff up and letting a little power shine through, and some of the nastiest critters in Middle-Earth go running for the hills. Dumbledore's best spells seem to be big fiery tornadoes, and we've already got proof of how little good that does against Gandalf. And even if he broke the big taboo and used the killing curse on Gandalf--even if it worked--then all he's done is release Olorin from his mortal shell, which if anything just makes him even more powerful. Dumbledore's only options are to lose, or to lose even more pathetically.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:55 am »

I don't know, magic seems pretty impressive in the LotR universe. It built a mile-high citadel, it protected an elvish kingdom with an impenetrable barrier for years and years, it made incredibly strong and sharp blades, it turned nine kings into undead bloodhounds for a guy, it allows for scrying across the continent, mind control and reading, and the combination of the previous two... et cetera. And that's not even getting into dwarven magic. Gandalf was not shown doing this stuff, but it would be within his purview.

When's the last time anyone in the HP universe built something as mind-bogglingly huge as Barad Dur?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 12:31:15 am »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:12 am »

Dumbledores best spells are ones that cut people to shreds from a distance, labotomy beams, and the ability to summon an immortal creature to do his bidding that can peck out your eyes.

I don't know, magic seems pretty impressive in the LotR universe. It built a mile-high citadel, it protected an elvish kingdom with an impenetrable barrier for years and years, it made incredibly strong and sharp blades, it turned nine kings into undead bloodhounds for a guy, it allows for scrying across the continent, mind control and reading, and the combination of the previous two... et cetera. And that's not even getting into dwarven magic. Gandalf was not shown doing this stuff, but it would be within his purview.

Not all magic is made equal. Sauron's magic comes from a place beyond Gandalf (unless Gandalf took the ring)

As well some of that no longer functions in Lord of the Rings because it is a time when magic was disapearing.

Though to be fair if Gandalf used the ring he would be an undefeatable blight on the lands. There really wouldn't have been much the remaining people could do against him.

Which would be pretty dangerous in Harry Potter too (mind you... he couldn't defeat earth itself, but he could kill Dumbledore)

Or rather One Ring Gandalf definately beats Dumbledore.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:34:49 am by Neonivek »

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:30 am »

People don't seem to understand what exactly Gandalf is

I agree; its like comparing Darth Vader with Superman. Sure, Vader is one of the most powerful characters in his universe, but Superman can just drop a mountain on him.

Although I still maintain that Dumbledore wouldn't have time to do anything; he would be disarmed immediately by Gandalf because his version of "Expelliarmus" is quicker.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10