Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Male circumcision tied to less sexual pleasure  (Read 7050 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Male circumcision tied to less sexual pleasure
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:11 pm »

People, it's jut an unsightly flab of useless skin. Stop acting like removing it is the end of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:56 pm »

People, it's jut an unsightly flab of useless skin. Stop acting like removing it is the end of the world.
Did you actually read the OP?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »

I believe it acts as a form of fleshy lubricant to ensure that sex feels better for men. In any case, I'd rather not decide to mutilate my son's genitals because a twisted God really cares about it that much or because I think it'll make him cleaner.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »

It's not so much that as 'doing it without baby's permission and the baby may regret it later in life' that's the problem.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 05:09:34 pm »

Whether it would last longer or shorter than this thread is also debateable.
I don't think this thread has enough left in it to break 10 pages. People tend to get much more emotionally involved and more dogmatic and likely to say "LALALALAICANTHEARYOUIMRIGHTIMTHECENTEROFTHEWORLDLALALALASCREWYOUIHAVEANECDOTALEVIDENCESAYINGIMBETTERLALALA" when penises get involved.
Vaccines are a much safer place to debate, assuming people don't derail it into circumcision or the like.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:50 pm »

As long as people don't derail into circumcision or badly-supported autism link theories, yes, vaccines would probably be a 'safer' debate.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

Vaccines are a much safer place to debate, assuming people don't derail it into circumcision or the like.
So I guess you missed all those "vaccines cause autism" scares?

Or any number of other "vaccines cause x or y" scares.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »

The foreskin is a protective piece of skin that contains anywhere from one third to almost a half of total penile skin and can contain around 20,000 to 70,000 receptor nerves. Removing it does have serious ramifications where sex health is concerned.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:06:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »

The foreskin is a protective piece of skin that contains anywhere from one third to almost a half of total penile skin and can contain around 20,000 to 70,000 receptor nerves. Removing it does have serious ramifications where sex health is concerned.
Wanna guess how many white blood cells there are in your tonsils? Big numbers don't necessarily mean importance. Not to say tonsils are useless, but rather that saying something that sounds impressive and providing evidence of the importance are not the same thing.

It's frustrating to read this thread (and the last few discussions we've had on the topic), because I'm sure there are some good arguments against it. I've been looking for the original article that was the source for the OP's link, but I've been having trouble finding it. It's definitely necessary, because the news article has definite spin; quotes like, "It's a small difference, but a significant one" are the sort of thing that, while technically correct (because significance is a measure of statistical reliability), are likely to be misinterpreted by most casual readers. I think I found an entry on Web of Science, but it's a fairly old article with no citations that's been cited by no one (read: probably, it's bullshit), and the links to the article proper were dead, so I couldn't really do much with it. The actual source would be great. If it's come up earlier in the thread, I apologize for missing it.

Most of what I see in these discussions, when it comes to opposing circumcision, are appeals to emotion ("How can you possibly support genital mutilation?"), premature claims about a parent's rights (all of which assume it's agreed that circumcision is a Bad Thing because they point out, quite rightly, that limits can be placed on objectively wrong parental actions), and arguments from contextless data. I don't think we're going to have many interesting discussions while that's the case. Yeah, I get that it's an emotional issue for you, but it isn't for most of the people you're trying to convince so you're probably not going to get anywhere by getting upset at me for looking for something rational.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »

I think thats a good point to end this at.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:09 pm »

Well said Bauglir.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2013, 07:52:03 pm »

Wanna guess how many white blood cells there are in your tonsils? Big numbers don't necessarily mean importance. Not to say tonsils are useless, but rather that saying something that sounds impressive and providing evidence of the importance are not the same thing.
Oh, and since we allow parents to take out their kid's tonsils for non-medical reasons we should also allow circumcision!

(seriously stop making these analogies)

I think thats a good point to end this at.
"All arguments should end with a point by someone I agree with"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

Not really a relevant criticism? An analogy will typically not be perfect, because if it were it'd be a comparison between two identical things. I wasn't talking there about the legality or morality of something, but of how silly it is to throw numbers that, while true, are between meaningless and completely lacking in context. I could pick something else, if you wanted, like the volume of the Earth's atmosphere to prove that CO2 emissions from human sources are so small that anthropogenic global warming must be wrong*. Would that be preferable?

My point isn't that circumcision is definitely and without caveat acceptable, for whatever that's worth. It's the whole intellectual dishonesty thing that bugs me.

*EDIT: That claim is bullshit. Hopefully that's obvious, because the whole point is that it's ridiculous.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »

Leaf that wasn't what Baug was saying with that at all. He was complaining at the lack of context for the number. His entire post was about how poor the whole debate is.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9