Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 40703 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2013, 07:56:11 am »

Wow. They really do only open the shop for a few seconds at a time. Somehow I managed to buy it in the most recent opening.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:19 am »

Well I look here, it isn't entirely accurate

http://direct.cyberkitsune.net/canibuycubeworld/

The store and sign up is only up for about 2% of the day... so about an average of about a half hour.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:02 am »

Cannot understand how the site is up and shop is down if the problem truly is a ddos

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2013, 09:17:52 am »

Cannot understand how the site is up and shop is down if the problem truly is a ddos

Ok here is an alternate conspiracy theory

Nothing is wrong with the site, the store, or the sign up. It is all a trick to make people think this game is hard to buy and to make people do reaction purchases.

In a similar way to limiting stock on Christmas (No really, this is a thing)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2013, 09:20:19 am »

An old trick from when I used to work in the restaurant world was, on opening night and a few weeks after, we would invite EVERYONE to come in that we knew.  Our hope was to create a line out the door for seating. The idea is that if people see it all crowded, it must be good, right?

therefore, this is all a stunt. Yup, thats the story I am going with.
I got nothing

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2013, 10:11:49 am »

double post
I got nothing

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »

An old trick from when I used to work in the restaurant world was, on opening night and a few weeks after, we would invite EVERYONE to come in that we knew.  Our hope was to create a line out the door for seating. The idea is that if people see it all crowded, it must be good, right?

therefore, this is all a stunt. Yup, thats the story I am going with.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with you. The lack of communication on Twitter and Picroma's main page strikes me as bizarre... if you're getting hit by a massive DDoS, wouldn't you want to assure your customers/potential customers that you're making progress on the situation? I'm not suggesting they write a novel about the situation, but 140 character tweets are a pretty reasonable way of saying "DDoS still in progress, looking for solutions."

Like you said, artificially constricting supply is an old marketing trick to make a product feel more elite and exclusive.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:34:23 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »

A dangerous stunt- I know more than a few personality types that would just check the nearest torrent if they couldn't buy it. Only being open half an hour a day would be terrible for this kind of business.

*Cough*

The game is decent, that said, but I'd imagine that it's more interesting in multiplayer. Overall it's not very deep though, it's just a procedural world with monsters/dungeons of various levels and according gear drops, with a dash of crafting and a couple gimmicks like pets and hang gliders. It's not very different in essence from "3079" (but more polished, and with a different setting - fantasy).

(Ok maybe i'm too hard on it, it certainly has potential for more and IS fun even now)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:54:46 pm by Sirian »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

anyway seems fishy at least. the website has images, links, dynamic content and renders extremely quickly.

they can just move the store to that host. just saying.

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »

I think this is a hustle too. Maybe it'll work for them but I was very interested in buying this game but it was impossible to buy it so I gave up. I spent my money on the Civ 5 expansion and no longer have any desire to pay $30 for this game.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »

A dangerous stunt- I know more than a few personality types that would just check the nearest torrent if they couldn't buy it. Only being open half an hour a day would be terrible for this kind of business.

Thanks for mentioning torrents, hadn't look because I didn't expect there to be one. Been having loads of fun with this and will buy as soon as the website allows me to. I usually torrent most things before I buy them anyways since I strongly believe in a "try before you buy" approach, I don't want to buy blindly.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »

I need to stop buying games because I feel sorry for giving it such a hard time.

Mind you Cube World can still pay off, but it REALLY isn't a single player game and the only other person I was going to play with... isn't getting the game (It was the reason I got this game)

I love that I make these rules and then I never follow them.

Rule #1 Never EVER buy a game because someone else is getting it... Dang it Neonivek!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:08:37 pm by Neonivek »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2013, 08:07:21 pm »

Thanks for mentioning torrents, hadn't look because I didn't expect there to be one. Been having loads of fun with this and will buy as soon as the website allows me to. I usually torrent most things before I buy them anyways since I strongly believe in a "try before you buy" approach, I don't want to buy blindly.
One was up the day it came out it was how I found out I get like 3 fps in it so I have to pass on this one, It seems to have lot of potential.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:38 pm »

Which is why most companies should make demos.
Amen
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2013, 08:58:19 pm »

And good honest Demos

I still remember the Constructor Demo... which was honestly more fun then the actual game.

Also I am going to have to make a "Get together for Cube World: Lets play together" thing set up where people can find others for Cube World antics.

Good idea?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19